CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
David Schneider

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Are you doing ME and High rep bench? I like where your head is at Skibicki... Maybe I will throw in some bench on Thursdays, been missing it since I have been doing CFSB....

Keep us posted on how your recovery goes and how/if it effects press day. I am most interested!

-Robert
I'm doing the same thing Robert. I threw my ME + high rep Bench session in on Monday. So I have Bench, Back Squat, and metcon.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Kempie, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. And thanks to Jeff and everyone else who developed this program. It fills a need.

A few questions:

1. How do you think the following pattern would work as a basic approach to adapting CFSB to the main site CF WOD cycle?

Day 1 - Metcon
Day 2 - Squat and half metcon
Day 3 - Deadlift and half metcon
Day 4 - rest
Day 1 - Metcon
Day 2 - Front Squat and half metcon
Day 4 - rest

2. When the WOD is a metcon with a lifting component similar to the ME/HR movement, could we do the full WOD in lieu of the high rep set and short metcon? For instance, if the WOD is Mr Joshua (5 rounds with deadlift 15x250), could we do that in place of the high rep deadlifts and the short metcon on the deadlift day?

3. Is there a reason to avoid air squats immediately after the squat and front squat days, to improve recovery? Or will 300 air squats not affect recovery from a ME squat day?

4. Any other tips on selecting metcon components on days after ME days?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yes, ME and high rep. I do not disparage the bench, nor do I worship at it's alter.

I think I may switch the bench and deadlift days. That moves the deadlift away from the back squat and the bench away from the press.

CFSB Creators,

Is there a reason the back squat and deadlift are so close to each other? On first glance, this didn't seem like such a good idea, but I've not seen the gains you have, so I was wondering what your thinking on this was.

Also, someone asked earlier about Power Cleans. I remember Rip suggesting using Power Cleans to warm up your deadlift. You would work up to a pr or close to a pr on PCs and then raise the weight and begin to deadlift. I have not tried, so I can speak to it, but it seems like a good idea, I'm just not sure how it would affect recovery on this program.

Also, Instead of just press, you could try Clean and Press. It is the measure of a man.

Ed,

I would think that 2 deadlift days a week would be too much for an intermediate. I know they beat the hell out of me. Maybe back squat and RDL's, or O-lifting and RDL's or good mornings?

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 02-12-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Just saw ed's question
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #24
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
Kempie, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. And thanks to Jeff and everyone else who developed this program. It fills a need.

A few questions:

1. How do you think the following pattern would work as a basic approach to adapting CFSB to the main site CF WOD cycle?

Day 1 - Metcon
Day 2 - Squat and half metcon
Day 4 - rest
Day 1 - Metcon
Day 2 - Front Squat and half metcon
Day 4 - rest

2. When the WOD is a metcon with a lifting component similar to the ME/HR movement, could we do the full WOD in lieu of the high rep set and short metcon? For instance, if the WOD is Mr Joshua (5 rounds with deadlift 15x250), could we do that in place of the high rep deadlifts and the short metcon on the deadlift day?

3. Is there a reason to avoid air squats immediately after the squat and front squat days, to improve recovery? Or will 300 air squats not affect recovery from a ME squat day?

4. Any other tips on selecting metcon components on days after ME days?
Ed, I'm guessing that you meant press on your second day 3 rather than repeating deads? ... If so, then yes, that would work very well I reckon so long as you have access to a gym on a 7 day basis. Nice thing about the fixed weekly plan is that you can schedule your lifts easily.

I would agree with your Mr Joshua example except that I'd still be tempted to cut it down to 3 rounds. That's just me though and if you don't mind a workout or two possibly suffering a little then the full thing wouldn't be a disaster.

The air squats is a similar thing. If you want to, try it. If it leaves too big a mark don't do it so much. If you get away with it then no problem.

Generally if I'm beat up after the heavy then I'll pick something light and snappy - mini Angie, mini Cindy, 5 rounds Nate, 5 rounds easy Mary.

After deads I like something with some oly work in it. Grace, Beth and their heavy variants, Isabelle, Nasty Girls or something moderately heavy and something gymnastic with 3-5 rounds of between 5 and 10 reps each

After squats Fran, Nancy, Josh (?OHS and Pull ups) and Karen have all worked well. Picking a similar movement pattern with lighter weight seems to make the metcon feel really light.

Other than that rowing or running sprints and heavy stuff is always special.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
Lee Hill

Profile:

Great thread, great answers chaps.

I've been doing this with one eye on Kempie's log since late November, basing it around the mainpage WOD but not as systemised. I am now considering a 6 week cycle as prescribed.

Question: For someone like myself who can only get to an affiliate 1/2 times per week and trains in a globo/home the rest, how would this work? I mean, if I follow the heavy CFSB program but when I rock up to my affiliate how can I match where I am in my planned week with what they have (sadistically) planned for that evening?

I suppose a second, open question is therefore would any affiliates other than brand X and maybe crossfit fredericton run or consider running this adaptative WOD philosophy?

Thanks for any opinion or advice
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #26
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Yes, ME and high rep. I do not disparage the bench, nor do I worship at it's alter.

I think I may switch the bench and deadlift days. That moves the deadlift away from the back squat and the bench away from the press.

CFSB Creators,

Is there a reason the back squat and deadlift are so close to each other? On first glance, this didn't seem like such a good idea, but I've not seen the gains you have, so I was wondering what your thinking on this was.
I am not a CFSB creator, but it would seem to me that they are trying to keep a rest day in between the high rep DL and BS. I would think that 20 reps squats and high rep DLs are going to wreak havoc on recovery more than anything else and thus should be preformed with adequate rest in between. You could try something like this?

Mon: ME BS, High rep Bench, metcon
Tues: ME + high rep DL
Weds: rest
Thurs: ME Bench, metcon
Fri: ME FS, high rep BS, metcon
Sat: ME + high rep Press, metcon
Sun: rest

that way all the high rep stuff that utilizes similar body parts are separated by at least one rest day? I guess this is pretty similar to what David is doing, just a little more spread out with the Bench.... maybe his is better though? Well at least it is tested. How is that working out David??

-Robert
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hill View Post
Great thread, great answers chaps.

I've been doing this with one eye on Kempie's log since late November, basing it around the mainpage WOD but not as systemised. I am now considering a 6 week cycle as prescribed.

Question: For someone like myself who can only get to an affiliate 1/2 times per week and trains in a globo/home the rest, how would this work? I mean, if I follow the heavy CFSB program but when I rock up to my affiliate how can I match where I am in my planned week with what they have (sadistically) planned for that evening?

I suppose a second, open question is therefore would any affiliates other than brand X and maybe CrossFit fredericton run or consider running this adaptative WOD philosophy?

Thanks for any opinion or advice
Mate, you may say that your affiliate is uniquely positioned to sync with your needs. Hit me up offline and we will talk. For others I would suggest speaking to your coaches, explaining what you are trying to do and see whether there is some way that you can sort something out.

Will other affiliates run CFSB programming - almost undoubtedly. Just a question of how it is managed. I know that we will be playing with it

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Thanks Kempie, great advice, lots to think on.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #29
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Jeff Powers;

To piggy-back on Kempie's answer about upper body stuff I'm actually a pretty good example. Remember that my primary goal was to increase my strength so that I could lower my "Fran". The chink in my armor was strength and muscle endurance for that WOD. I have an injury-limited upper end on SP so we did lots of pressing as part of the short, heavy brutal met-cons. It's another variation of what Jeff Martin calls "compressing the upper range", decreasing the #'s between 1-, 3-, and 5-rep maxes.

An example might have been 5 Squat Clean Thrusters/Run 200M, 5 rounds for time, or 21-15-9 Heavy Push Press/PU. You can get an awful lot of mileage and work an awful lot of other exercises like Oly-lifts and bench (and heavy, too!) into the short met-cons.

Hope that helps.

--bingo

Note to self...learn how to do partial post quotes...

Last edited by Darrell E. White : 02-12-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: note to self
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Jamie, that could work. Depends on how much time you need to recover from benching before pressing. Could also consider adding your bench press day after deads and running a 3 on 1 off cycle or simply alternating bench and press every other week.

Just a case of making it fit with your capacities, goals and practical limitations.

Cheers, kempie
First off, I really like this program, and owe thanks to Jeff and his guinea-pigs!

In a similar note, I was thinking about inserting weighted pullups + high-rep pullups on that day.

In my case, 4 days a week just works better so I was considering making the 1st day BS + weighted pullups + high-rep pullups + 1/2 metcon, and then leaving out the metcon-only day.

S: BS+WPU+HRPU+metcon
M: rest
T: DL+HRDL+metcon
W: rest
T: FS+HRBS+metcon
F: P+HRP+metcon
S: rest

Just tiny tweaks, really... one for scheduling purposes (I'll take the metcon hit) and one because I like pullups, and would love to build pullup strength to the point where I can start working a 1-arm pullup (best so far is BW+78 lbs).