CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Josiah Ertz

Profile:
Questions on starting a Crossfit gym

I'm taking an entrepreneur class in college were I 'm writing a feasibility plan for a Crossfit gym that I would like to start up in the next couple years.

I'm wondering what different ways people have started their gyms? (especially low cost)

I'm also supposed to get an idea on how many clients I might get in the first three years, any ideas?

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Wil Vicinus

Profile:
Re: Questions on starting a Crossfit gym

We started outdoors with just a few portable pieces of equipment - kettlebells, dumbbells, medicine balls and rings. Very low cost b/c there was no rent.

As far as growth projections, it can vary depending on the local market - I'd suggest starting a conversation with some of the affiliates in your area; I'm sure some of them will give you a lot of great info.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Jason Jameson

Profile:

Hey Josiah, I got your message. Drop on in and fire away with questions! I look forward to meeting you!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Josiah Ertz

Profile:

Thanks for the comments.

Wil: I'm wondering, what did you do during the winter? Also what type of insurance did you need to be training in your backyard?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

We suffered through it - not a good idea. Lost quite a few members and had to pretty much start from scratch once it warmed up. The next year we really pushed to have a permanent box before winter hit.

A friend of mine who was running an outdoor bootcamp was able to sublet some indoor space from a local gym during the winter and that worked well for him.

Since we were outdoors and using public space all we needed was personal liability insurance. I'd double-check any local laws or regulations though, just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Mark Griffith

Profile:

Hey!
My daughter and I got certified in June.
Started training others in July out of our garage. Got personal training insurance ($240 each).
Got more equipment as we got more clients.
Now at 14.
Just completed all the affiliation process.
Moving into a 1300 sq ft box Monday.
Looking to double clients at least by the end of the year, probably sooner.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Josiah Ertz

Profile:

Thanks for the comments!

Mark: I have a couple questions,
What equipment did you start with?
What did you use to heat your garage in the winter? (my garage is starting to get a little cold)
Did you do any advertising?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Mark Griffith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah Ertz View Post
Thanks for the comments!

Mark: I have a couple questions,
What equipment did you start with?
What did you use to heat your garage in the winter? (my garage is starting to get a little cold)
Did you do any advertising?
Josiah,
I started with the basics. There is an article in the journal that shows what equipment is used most often in the wods. Some kbs, some plyo boxes, an oly set with rubber plates, and a pullup bar to start.
I started in July and so heat wasn't an issue. When I worked out in the garage before in the winter I used a small ceramic electric heater. Worked well for a one car garage.
Only advertising was my partner/daughter on FaceBook, and our website. She had alot of friends. And she is a hairdresser and talked it up CONSTANTLY. Whenver anyone asked her what was new they got the speil!
My wife has a nutritional business and would mention it to her clients, but I only got a three from there and two didn't stay.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Mark,
First I want to say congrats to you and your daughter, it is awesome your getting or got your "BOX". Man, I have been doing crossfit for about 8 months and I just got certified, I have been doing Boot Camps for about 3 years and personal training for over 10, I am finishing my masters in Kinesiology, but all I want now is to open a "Box". Now, I don't know how easy or difficult is to sell fitness in your area, but here where I am from (South Texas, on the border) is extremly hard. People do not exercise at all, we are on the top in the nation for overweight and obesity. For my boot camp I charge pretty cheap and personal training as well. If you want to check the fees you can go to my website: www.rangerbootcamp.com. I plan to start at my garage as well and some day get a larger facility. I am the only one doing crossfit in thsi neck of the woods. It is hard to sell crossfit ro people and when I do, they always ask what the fees run. After I tel them they all back down, say is to much. I know what to tell them, but just want to know others points of view.

Now my question, How are you able to sell crossfit to your clients at this fees? And what all fees are included in your new facility? Did the neighrboors ever complain when you had it at your garage?

Thanks Mark, again Congrats.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Mark Griffith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel De La Fuente View Post
Mark,
First I want to say congrats to you and your daughter, it is awesome your getting or got your "BOX". Man, I have been doing crossfit for about 8 months and I just got certified, I have been doing Boot Camps for about 3 years and personal training for over 10, I am finishing my masters in Kinesiology, but all I want now is to open a "Box". Now, I don't know how easy or difficult is to sell fitness in your area, but here where I am from (South Texas, on the border) is extremly hard. People do not exercise at all, we are on the top in the nation for overweight and obesity. For my boot camp I charge pretty cheap and personal training as well. If you want to check the fees you can go to my website: www.rangerbootcamp.com. I plan to start at my garage as well and some day get a larger facility. I am the only one doing crossfit in thsi neck of the woods. It is hard to sell crossfit ro people and when I do, they always ask what the fees run. After I tel them they all back down, say is to much. I know what to tell them, but just want to know others points of view.

Now my question, How are you able to sell crossfit to your clients at this fees? And what all fees are included in your new facility? Did the neighrboors ever complain when you had it at your garage?

Thanks Mark, again Congrats.
Thanks Miguel!
First, there are always people willing to pay for value. Don't sell yourself short. We have the best workout methodology in the world! All you need is a few to start. They get excited and show their friends their pics on the website. We have one girl who has lost 40lbs and 27 inches in 4 months! That gets noticed! You have something of high value. Represent it as such.
We have been in the box 5 days. No signs up yet. No advertising except some flyers for our grand opening next weekend. 2 clients signed up.
You can check our fees at our website in my sig. Yes, they turn the "cheap" away, but those that are serious are looking for that value.
The neighbors didn't have a prob at all. They came out and watched!
But it is nice now to not have to worry about the weather!
Keep getting input from affiliates that are successful. It will come bro!