CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: A Must for all Ranger and Special ops

Excuse me, by "both" I was referring to SF and the Rangers being Airborne units.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I listed Rangers and SF as Army SOF, my intention was not to slight the 160th, they are super high speed and always too busy with the "other guys" to work with vanilla SOF when I was a Boat Guy.

Miguel
NECC is a HQ command for the Navy's conventional riverine, and coastal security units, they captured EOD as well.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
I'm glad you like the program - it's very efficacious, indeed. Try to increase your olympic lift numbers and rings gymnastics strength - that's where the athlete is born. Search for CFSB, MEBB, and Gant's Heavy Hybrids, also the Tabata thread. Those will give you the most bang for your buck in the beginning - strength and power carry over to endurance very effectively.

Sorry to continue the hijack...
The Marines have MARSOC now. As for the Army - Special Operations includes the Special Forces ("Green Berets"), the 75th Ranger Regiment, and the 160th SOAR (the "Nightstalkers" - top-notch helicopter pilots). But it also includes lighter, non-combat specialties like Psychological Operations and Civil Affairs. SF, the 160th, and the Rangers are generally regarded as the top units in their respective specialties (SF is the original unconventional warfare outfit and a jack-of-all-trades, the 160th has outstanding rotary-wing capabilities, and the Rangers are the military's premier light infantry and a support net for JSOC operations), and keep in mind that both are Airborne. Semantics aside, we know what people mean when they say "SpecOps" - Delta, SEALs, "Green Berets", Rangers, Force Recon, PJs, CCT, etc. in no particular order.
Andrew, thanks for the update on the Marines new or name changed outfit. I keep on meeting vets who have been in for 10, 15 yrs and they tell me how much the services have changed. I am not sure if for the better or not, but they definetely have changed since I first went in in 92. The one thing that I have heard alot by some of my buddies and former soldiers is that we are getting softer, what I mean by that is that You can't smoke a joe like you used to no more, you can't discipline him like in the good old days. I often here new privates coming out of basic, talking smack, wearing a uniform and acting foolish, man it really gets on my nerves. But hey, its they new Armed Forces right.
And, yes we all know what people mean when they talk about them elite outfits, regardless of the differences between us, and the annimosity at times, we all serve under the same flag...And btw I am workin on my Olumpics lifts more, technique first before I go and kill my self with the work outs. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Excuse me, by "both" I was referring to SF and the Rangers being Airborne units.
Well there are some Rangers who aint Airborne, we call them "Leg Rangers"....lol..unless you are on an Airborne unit, they will never go to Airborne school. So a lot of times we give them $#!&.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Oh yeah I have worked with some 160th guys they are some bad mo'frakies....they will go get you in the worst places. I love them guys, that's what we call team work and having your buddy's back.

Hooah to them.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Brandon Reilly

Profile:

Miguel, I'm fairly new to crossfit too. But I know what you're talking about when you mentioned kipping pullups being bad for your shoulders. If you're not careful in doing them 100% correctly you can really hurt yourself. Fortunately I haven't pulled my shoulders out of socket but I have suffered pretty bad shoulder joint pains that lasted longer than they should have.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Yeah, Brandon... you really have to practice it. I am getting better at it, I still tend to want to do the straight up pull up sometime. I keep watching the videos and practice is, since I run the Gym at the college, I am here all day so I get to practice everything, all day. I have been training all my clients with crossfit and I own a boot camp too, so I have been doing this type of work outs, and people love them. Similiar to what I have been doing with more stuff. And by the way, it is kind of hard on the shoulder but you will be ok, not to bad, I have a seperate AC joint, happend during an Jump in the Army, but I haven't hurt it yet.