CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Dan Andrews

Profile:
POSE Running method check

Hey there guys, I've watched just about every video available on the CFJ and on the main site about the POSE method over the past few weeks and have been running with it in mind as best I can, and i think i've got it down alright, i've never had any formal instruction or anything so wanted to see if you guys had any constructive criticism or comments.

I apologize for the video being short, was trying to only really get from the side angle.

http://www.vimeo.com/5299083 - Safe for work and family
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Dean Dioguardi

Profile:
Re: POSE Running method check

I'm in no way a POSE expert, but I've taken a formal class. I don't really have it down yet either but something I noticed:

You are heeling striking -- It seems like you might be trying a bit to not heel strike, but you're still doing it. Landing closer to figure four position would probably help you out...Not stretching out and reaching for that next stride but rather just pulling up with the hamstring and "falling" into the next step

Eliminating the heel strike will probably help you a lot. I would also get another pair of shoes. It looks like you're running in basketball shoes? Try running in some with a flat sole that has a very flexible and thin bottom. (Might take some getting used to)

I'm sure people have done well teaching themselves POSE and posting videos, but nothing compares to having someone actually teach it to you and critique your form.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Bo Schmidt

Profile:

You're not landing with straight legs, good. But you are heel striking. Land on the balls of your feet.

Lean more forward and free falling. Make sure you get the "S" shape as Dr. Romanov describes in his book. Raise ankle straight up under hip. Keep knees and thighs relaxed. Let gravity pull your legs down to the ground again, not any muscular activity. Don't focus on landing, only lifting.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Thanks for the comments guys, will definitely work on it through my next runs.

And Dean, yea, id love to be able to go out and take classes on all of this stuff, would really probably be a lot more efficient and whatnot,but reality is as a 17 year old kid cash is scarce and so is a car, haha. So for now I've gotta stick with the Journal, but I'm definitely going to look into going to all the certs and seminars either during college or once i get out.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

Get different shoes. Run barefoot on some grass, try to land on your forefoot, and really try to "pull" your foot off the ground toward your butt with each step.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Dan,

You difenetely need some new running shoes. I have been running for years and still do lots of races. I have learned through the years. I know how it is with money and trying to learn from a pro or pay to lget taught, so what I suggest is try to find a running club. I know her ein Texas and where I am from there marthon training clubs. Some chrge some don't. But you can definetely get some good pointers from many veteran runners.

Another suggestion or comment, is that we all are built different, so you really have to find your way teachnique, ofcourse following the simple rules of running. It also depends what type fo running you do, for example, if you are doing 800 m or less, 2 mile to about 10k, and half marathon and more, I have learned that there are different techniques to become more efficient in your run, save energy, and reduce injuries.

Last, you are strking to hard. Try to pretend you are running on egg shells and you do not want to break them. land soft, relax your body, and try to see your self running while ur running. ( I dont know it that makes sense). Try to concentrate on using more of your hips flexors, for they require less energy as oppose to your quats and hams.

I read a research a while back, and said that the most efficient way to run was from the mid foot to the front, increases your time and reduces injuries. I tried it, it is hard to learn, calfs get tight for while, but the more you practice the better it gets.

Hope any of this helps.

You need any more help let me know, I train people all the time. I am training for a 70 mile relay right now, in the hills of San Antonio, Texas.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Miguel,

Thanks for the egg shell analogy, was strange but definitely made sense. Past few runs I've been thinking about pulling up towards my butt more, ill try and focus on landing more lightly. I'll see what i can do about shoe's. I don't know whats so bad about these, they are running shoes, not basketball shoes as someone asked before, there pretty comfortable to run in and well ventilated, definitely no marathon running shoe, but, I'll look into them. Yea, I'm definitely running the 2 mile- 10k sort of range.

The running on grass in barefoot is an interesting idea, ill have to try that out.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

No problem Dan I am glad I could help a little. About the shoes, well shoes do make a difference. If you plan to become a comepetitive runner, well actually if you will be running a lot. Usually you want to chaneg your shoes about 3 to 6 months, depends how much you run. They do get comfortable, but the wear of the soles is bad, you can start getting shin splints and/or knee pains that could cause some resious problems. These are some shoes I highly recommend, Asics, New balance, and some awesome new shoes I found, that have been the best shoes I have ever had. They are expensive but like I said if you plant to compete or do long runs they are good. SPIRA....you can find them on Spirafootwear.com . MAke sure that you do not use Nike shocks for running, I read some research in one of my classes that they actually cause kneee injuries.
Good Luck!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
S.S.

Profile:

Most running shoes are crap. Try to get some racing flats. They will teach you how to land properly. They're cheaper also. Basically you need a shoe that is relatively flat and does not have a thick heel. Thick heel encourages you to land on your heel.

I have to disagree with Miguel that there are different techniques from the 2 mile to 10k and higher. I see no evidence of that. Most of the best runners at the 5k and 10k are also the best at the 15k, half marathon, and full marathon. They don't change their technique, just watch the videos.
There is different technique for the 100m and 200m and perhaps the 100k and 100mi, but I don't see how you can say there is different technique among the various long distance events 800m-50k.

Last edited by S.S.; 06-28-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Thanks Shane, I'm looking into some racing flats as we speak, hopefully pick some up by the end of the week. Just ran a 10k today for the first time, it was the farthest I've gone, and physically i was fine, felt like i could do it again, but after 6 miles or so i started to feel the repercussions of having a bad shoe so, definitely going to have to step up the quality, can't have my shoes making me stop instead of my body.