CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:
A Must for all Ranger and Special ops

Man....I gotta say I love this CrossFit program. Let me tell you I have seen, done, invented, and read about work out programs, and non compare to this. Very creative, informative, easy yet tough, I mean…. it is perfect for all military individuals. I bet some Damm BAT BOY (A Ranger from Battalion) out there is having a freaking orgasm with this stuff. This is what we wake up to every morning as a Ranger and Special Op Soldier too, to get a smoking like this one.

I have played sports for over 20 years, was in the service for ten, went to Ranger school, SFAS, SFQC, and all kinds of schools, I have been a trainer and strength coach for about 8 years, I have trained runners, bodybuilders, Overweight people, kids, Professional athletes, high school athletes, etc. I own a boot camp, for the past 3 yrs, I have a BS in Kinesiology, and getting my Masters in Kinesiology, and I compete, in all races, from 5 k, to 200 miles plus relays and runs, triathlons, you name it.

I have studied and learned a lot in college; such as exercise physiology, biomechanics, training techniques, etc. At 34yrs old thought I had hit a wall, cuz I have trained in many programs and with many hard core people, but when I found CROSSFIT 2 months ago, man I have studied the videos, read all the information, I disagreed with some techniques, and even discussed it with some of my professors, but MY WHOLE POINT OF THIS IS, THIS PROGRAM IS THE BEST BY FAR.

If you know about the History of Sport and physical activity, you will see that a big percentage of this training was done over 1000 years ago, that's why the warriors of back then were bad asses.

I am glad someone has taken us back to the basics. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST TRAINING REGIME, BESIDES THE MILITARY, I have ever done.

I am not certified yet, lack of funds, but hopefully someday I can go and get certified, even though I pretty much know the exercises, the program, the philosophy, the mission, and the goals of CrossFit. I have even come out with some serious and killer exercises I guarantee never seen before. But I will refine them and break them down for proper use, by hopefully CrossFitters all over the world and I am sure you will appreciate.

Again, thanks to the COACH of Crossfit and to all for making this program One Step before a US ARMY RANGER...

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY......HOOAH!!

“Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier.“
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: A Must for all Ranger and Special ops

Welcome and ditto everything you said. Though it feels like I do a boot camp type workout every morning...I get to turn it off and sit at a desk all day. I can't help but take this time and thank everyone serving (or have served) in our military...ya'll are my motivation to be a better human. Major props.

OK, but Miguel, with your stacked resume, I am intrigued by what you "disagree" with. Not trying to start anything, but this is where the discussion can get good, and your input can possible improve the CrossFit workouts or philosophy.

Thanks man, John

Last edited by John C Corona; 06-26-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

John,

You are welcome. I would serve my country all over again.

Anyways, yes I had disagrements with two things, 1) some of the exercises and 2.) the fee for the certification.

1. Exercises: as mention before on my long resume, I have been studying Kinesiology for couple of yrs now, I love it. I am a perfectionist when I teach techinique, but when I first saw the Kippling pull up, I was like what the???
I started to analyze it, its biomechanics and the phisiology of the muscle(s) been used. I figured for a while that it was not good for the shoulder girdle and joints. But, I am glad I like to try things and really learn them. I watched and studied the instruction videos, and I learned it and Now I like it. I think it is a great exercise. I use it quit often, and teach it to a few of my clients, but only those who I think have the strength and cordination. The others I am working on getting them through he basics, such as regular push ups, squats, sit ups, etc. I think all the exercises that are given here in crossfit, have been well studied for the most part and I am happy with them.

I will soon introduce a set of new exercises I have come up with, myself and I would like to share with others. But like I said I have really work on the phisiology make sure they don't get people hurt, and figure the exact mechanics of them.

2. The Fee: Again, the program is awesome, great idea but the fee i don't think matches the program. I mean, most certifications from reputable organizations are with in $300 and $500. The best I know are American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and National Strenght and Conditioning Association (NSCA-CSCS). These two are some of the best certifications and were the first to come about. Crossfit is great, good information, good theories, good instructors, good research, just in my opinion it is too much. Well atleast for me, I can't afford it and I really want to get certified, and help promote this program in my area. There is not many people that know about it and the few that do, only use it as a hobby and for me fitness is my life, my passion, and my dream. So I would really like to help crossfit (not that they need it) but help them promote this kind of fitness and program to as many people as possible.

Sorry for the long essays...lol. After writting some many papers for my Graduate classes I tend to just be on a roll.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

I thought the Army always refered to it as Special Forces and not Special Operations. No?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Well it depends what you are refering to. The Army Special Forces are the Green Berets, Special Ops are all the units that fall under, such as Rangers, Green Berets, SFOD-D (Delta Force), Marine Force recon, Airforce PJs, Navy Seals, and other agencies known and unknown.

But I might be wrong, thats what I learned when I was in the Army. I am not an expert in thsi field I just know where I worked and what I did.

So what I was refering too, with Sopecial Ops, was not just Army Special Forces but all Special Operation units. Each one is held to a higher standard physically and mentally, than the regular Armed Forces.

But Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

The Navy's Special Operations Forces (SEALs, SWCC) are called Navy Special Warfare. Navy EOD, divers are called Special Operations but are not technically SOF. The Other services I believe use Special Operations to refer to their SOF units. For example Special Forces, Rangers are the Armys SOF units. EOD etc may have been recategorized with the new NECC, but I think it's still "Special Operations"

Miguel, welcome. The certs are awesome and worth the money, especially if you are in the fitness field. I can't compare them to the larger certs, as I don't hold them, but I can say those other certs are not held in that high a regard by many of influence around here.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr; 06-26-2009 at 03:47 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
David Reed

Profile:

Marine Force Recon is not considered special ops. I don't think the USMC has any special ops units, unless they are classified.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Robert,

Yeah I have heard that term Navy Special Warfare, I trained with some Navy Seals, they used that word some times. I know there is a HQ's, Its Special Operations Command, and it covers all Units from Rangers to Navy seals to Marine Force Recon and other units. I know cuz we have done combined exercise training and misions. I beleive the HQ's is in Florida, can't remember right now where. And th NECC, I haven't heard of that, but the Military always changes names for political reasons. I know they did that to two units while I was there. But thanks for the info. Its been a while since I got out and haven't kept up it. I hope thorugh here i can find some of my old Ranger buddies and soldiers.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

I'm glad you like the program - it's very efficacious, indeed. Try to increase your olympic lift numbers and rings gymnastics strength - that's where the athlete is born. Search for CFSB, MEBB, and Gant's Heavy Hybrids, also the Tabata thread. Those will give you the most bang for your buck in the beginning - strength and power carry over to endurance very effectively.

Sorry to continue the hijack...
The Marines have MARSOC now. As for the Army - Special Operations includes the Special Forces ("Green Berets"), the 75th Ranger Regiment, and the 160th SOAR (the "Nightstalkers" - top-notch helicopter pilots). But it also includes lighter, non-combat specialties like Psychological Operations and Civil Affairs. SF, the 160th, and the Rangers are generally regarded as the top units in their respective specialties (SF is the original unconventional warfare outfit and a jack-of-all-trades, the 160th has outstanding rotary-wing capabilities, and the Rangers are the military's premier light infantry and a support net for JSOC operations), and keep in mind that both are Airborne. Semantics aside, we know what people mean when they say "SpecOps" - Delta, SEALs, "Green Berets", Rangers, Force Recon, PJs, CCT, etc. in no particular order.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Sam Ser

Profile:

wow. someone just downed a whole keg of kool-aid!