CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
William Winger

Profile:
This is a repost of a thread I started at ExRx.net after some mishaps with my first attempt at overhead squatting. I was told by TimD there that you all would probably be quite knowledgable about overhead squats. Here is what my first post in that thread said:

"Yeah, I tried overhead squats today, the terrible details in my journal. Those are so hard! Tips on posture, how to improve my ability to do this? Balance? I'd really appreciate hearing about everyone else's thoughts and advice on overhead squats.

For those who don't know, overhead squats are where one holds the BB over head (in I think a snatch grip, am I wrong?), then performs the normal squatting motion."

Thanks guys,
Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Clearly, OH Squats are not impossible.

You've really not give enough information to go on. I read your journal over at ExRx...you didn't really say what the problem was, just that you couldn't do them. Can you get some video of yourself squatting and attempting to OH Squat and upload it?

Just based on what I've seen in the past, I'd say it's likely that you've got flexibility issues that will make OH Squats difficult until you get them resolved (or at least make some progress on getting them resolved).
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I thought I would try 4 reps of 135lbs... that didn't turn out too good. Needless to say, I was overeager. I ended up doing 2/4/65lbs.

You wouldn't start learning bench pressing by putting 1,000 pounds on the bar and then subtracting weight until you find a weight you can handle, would you? For overhead squats start with a broomstick and progress up.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Lincoln, to say that's an excellent point would be an understatement.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
OHS with a broomstick/PVC every day.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Personally, I never could get the feel for OHS with no weight. It seems that the bar would sit unnaturally far forward, a little weight corrected this and forced me to sit back on my heels properly. This is mostly due in my case to really inflexible shoulders.

Also remember to grip the bar and pull out, that helps me now to keep the bar in the right plane with lighter weights/broomsticks.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
William Winger

Profile:
Matt:
I can try to get video, but since I’m home for the summer I don’t have anyone to lift with on a regular basis.
You’re right it’s definitely a balance issue, one that I didn’t realize beforehand.

Lincoln:
In my defense, I can back squat to parallel 315lbs, I (mistakenly) thought that 135 wasn’t too much, and that the exercise was mostly a legs exercise, and wouldn’t present a balance issue.

Chris:
Seems simple enough, and I recognize now how useful that would be.

Andy:
I’ll have to consider that, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking to improve this, since I was shocked at how badly I did it.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Crossfit and olympic lifting - surprising fitness enthusiasts since 2001:blush:

When i'm teaching OHS to people it's pvc pipe then a couple of kilos on the pipe, 10kg bar, 15kg bar and then 20kg bar before any weights come out.

Work on bar dislocates and keeping the chest up when squatting. With a couple of weeks practice you'll probably see a big improvement.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Greg Varga

Profile:
Don, what exactly do you mean by "bar dislocates". Nothing on google. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Greg...grasp the PVC lightly in both hands. Hold it overhead, then spread your hands out until the PVC is about 6-8" above the top of your head. Move the PVC forward, then move it back overhead and down behind your head/neck/back while keeping your arms straight. You may slide your hands in/out a bit on the bar to accomodate the movement. It's basically a way to stretch out your shoulder girdle a bit.

William...set up a video camera on a chair to the side of where you're doing OH Squats. Zoom it out and go do your thing. You should be able to figure out a way to get yourself on tape without assistance.