CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Paul Glezer

Profile:
When do you have to affiliate

Hi All,

Just getting some gear together to do some WODs in the garage and a couple of friends have expressed interest to WOD with me (as i have been preaching the CF way for about a year). This would just be friends working out, no fees or money changing hands for service. I don't want to **** off HQ or violate anything with CF so want to better understand what I can and can't do in my garage?

We have talked about having a jar that we stuff 5 bucks in each time anyone shows up so that we can buy more gear like a rower or GHD or more bars. (have one bar only for now).

Something else we discussed was having a FB group to coordinate wod times and stuff.

I am not trying to look for loopholes but just wanna be on the right side of HQ and the rules. Are the above ok?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: When do you have to affiliate

Most affiliation rules cover use of the CF name for marketing purposes...if you're just telling your friends they can come over to train in your garage and collecting up some money to buy more equipment then you're not doing anything wrong. Problems would arise if you started posting flyers, handing out business cards, or hosting a Facebook page or a blog where you advertised your "CF Garage" where people could come by and pay you for training. You can have a Facebook group/page, just don't use the CF name or other trademarks.