CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Terry MILLER

Profile:
I've been attempting to lower my B.F % to 8%. I've been stuck at 10% for about (4) months now. I am 175 lbs in B.W., and follow the Zone Diet recommendations. A typical day is as follows:
Breakfast - 6 Blocks
Lunch - 4 Blocks
Snack - 2 Blocks
Dinner - 6 Blocks
Snack - 2 Blocks

In terms of energy expenditure, I have been following Crossfit, or a reasonable facsimilie thereof, with the 3 on, 1 off schedule.

Recovery from workouts seems to be good, as I have been progressing slowly in terms of strength and conditioning.

I am thinking of simply reducing the macronutrients which I am consuming to 18 or 19 blocks daily, however I am concerned that may have a negative impact on my ability to recover fully from workouts.

Your thoughts, or any advice which you could offer with respect to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

"You can't be a gorilla if you pay a monkey's dues"
Unknown
Old 06-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Terry, to start, you should probably not have 6 block meals. Sears' opinion is that meals over 5 blocks, even if properly composed, will cause an excessive insulin response. You could eat 4 block meals 5 times a day and get to the same calories.

The next thing I would do is make sure your carbs are primarily low glycemic. This amount of veggies can be difficult to choke down, if so, don't eat them all.

We see the carb quantity (per the Zone) as a maximum amount. In other words your meals could look like 4 protein, 4 fat, 3 carb. The protein and fats are seen as minimum amounts. Make sure you are getting all the protein and fat prescribed.

Be careful lowering your carbs by too much - too fast as your enthusiasm for workouts may decrease.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Terry MILLER

Profile:
Thanks Lauren,

I'll adjust the blocks as per your recommendations. In terms of the type of carbs I typically consume, I usually do pretty good in terms of sticking with low glycemic carbs, although I do occassionally cheat during the occasional meal, and will someitmes have a baked potato or a slice of whole grain bread or 2 to 3 carb blocks of brown rice. I guess if I want to reach that goal, I'll have to tighten up on the cheating. I agree that it is sometimes difficult to choke down the required amount of veggies.

Regards,

Terry
Old 06-08-2003, 01:26 AM   #4
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

i was wondering. if the strict paleo diet is basically were you can eat only natural foods, (stuff you can pick, dig up or chase down) why are patatoes considered a no no? a potatoe is just a type of root, and surly early humans dug up and ate roots on a normal basis. is a potate just an edibal root that is bad or what?

shane
Old 06-08-2003, 05:37 AM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
From what I understand, if it's a vegetable that you can't eat raw, then you don't eat it. Not sure if this is entirely correct, but I did pick that up somewhere. By the way, raw potatoes suck.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:22 AM   #6
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Terry,
You are right, the closer you are to your goal, the more precision is required in the diet to reach that goal. It is not the easiest process that is why so few people are 8% body fat!
Old 06-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Shane-

Highly starchy roots and tubers did not make a major contribution to the diet untill some form of cooking was developed as it is necessary to crystalize starch granules via heat to make them accessable to amylase. Give this article a read:

http://thepaleodiet.com/articles/AJCN%20PDF.pdf
Robb
Old 06-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Biochemists are so handy to have around!

:-)