CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Angry You know the hardest thing about IF?

Repeated and persistent comments/nagging from family members about how you're starving yourself and doing permanent harm to your body, when you are in fact much healthier than them and improving all the time.

*must... quell... rage...*
Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: You know the hardest thing about IF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
Repeated and persistent comments/nagging from family members about how you're starving yourself and doing permanent harm to your body, when you are in fact much healthier than them and improving all the time.

Actually for me now, its the natural insulin burst from your body about 30 min after waking. I can feel it happening, and once it subsides I don't think twice about it. But the fact I can actually feel it is a pretty amazing thing.

I often thought it would be odd to feel hormones working but to be that in tune into what is going on in your body is, I don't know, just really cool in my mind.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

Quote:

Agreed. Same thing when I eat saturated fat and cholesterol. I am apparently going to die of a heart attack very soon.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Clayton View Post
Agreed. Same thing when I eat saturated fat and cholesterol. I am apparently going to die of a heart attack very soon.
I don't IF anymore, but please... knock on wood.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Clayton View Post
I get that one too... I have three eggs (amongst other things) for lunch practically every day, and if half the comments this earns were true, I'd be long dead by now.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
I get that one too... I have three eggs (amongst other things) for lunch practically every day, and if half the comments this earns were true, I'd be long dead by now.
Yep, I tell my mom that I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast every day, and she tells me "that's not healthy!" Even though I've lost 35 pounds and improved every measurable indicator of health possible since I started. /me shrugs.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm thinking about starting IF, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way for me to impliment it based on my goals.

Basically some fat loss with increased strength and possibly muscle gain. As far as I've seen there are 2 ways of going about it; not eating for a whole day 1-3 days a week or not eating during certian times of the day. Does anyone have some information about the differences of these two techniques or some advice about how to choose the one which is right for you?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm thinking about starting IF, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way for me to impliment it based on my goals.

Basically some fat loss with increased strength and possibly muscle gain. As far as I've seen there are 2 ways of going about it; not eating for a whole day 1-3 days a week or not eating during certian times of the day. Does anyone have some information about the differences of these two techniques or some advice about how to choose the one which is right for you?
CHeck out info here!

wfs
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sallee View Post
Yep, I tell my mom that I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast every day, and she tells me "that's not healthy!" Even though I've lost 35 pounds and improved every measurable indicator of health possible since I started. /me shrugs.

Bacon is delicious, but high sat-fat meats aren't really the best every day (assuming you're Paleo or paleo-influenced). Sure, it ain't going to kill you (likely won't even hurt you), but IMO it's not a "natural" (in terms of human evolution) diet. But hell, this is coming from someone who can't resist ice cream for breakfast if it's in the freezer, so...

Definitely trying IF for the next week. Checking out that site made me realize some things that had been going well when I was "accidentally" IFing last week, and things that aren't so well this one.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

Definitely check out Sarena's link. I prefer the 16-18 hour fast to the whole day one as an active person. You'll probably find your energy and recovery are better with that one. If you do the whole day one you pretty much have to make that a rest day since you can't get any protein or anything essential to recovery into your body after a hard workout.