CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #41
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I hear you, Jason. I get it. It kills the imagination. I'd like to imagine that I can qualify for Regionals. When it's workout 14.1 and the countdown is 3-2-1, go! I'm just as good as the next guy. Anything is possible. It's only after five weeks of my mediocre performance that my dream has died a slow death.

By admitting the fact up front and saying, "Why bother making a video of this?" the dream is dead before it begins.
If you don't know prior to the start of the Open whether you have a legitimate shot at making regionals than: A) You don't B) You're pretty naive

Myself, and I'd assume the majority of the people that "donate $20" do that because they want to push themselves and see where they rank against the rest of the community as a whole.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #42
Kevin Locker

Profile:

I think you're missing Christopher's point Jayme, and I kind of agree with him.
It's kind of like daydreaming. Even though if you ask me point blank, I'll tell you I have pretty much no realistic chance of ever qualifying for regionals. That doesn't keep me from daydreaming while I'm training that they just might pick a sequence of wods that really suits me and I perform out of my mind for 5 weeks. The video requirement kind of knocks the luster off that idle thinking because it's like you have to declare ahead of time whether or not you have a chance- even though I understand why they did it, and it's not as big a deal because you can redo it and video if they ask to see visual
evidence.
Is it logical at all? No. Do I see why people feel like it takes something away from the Games feel?- kind of.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #43
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Just "Chris" is good. Thanks, Kevin.

I totally understand the daydreaming.

Do I think the video rule takes away from the fun of the Open? Nope. Personally, I'm still going to have fun suffering to my extremes.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #44
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
.....Like I said, I understand the reasons, but this is taking away something that made CrossFit special, and contributed to the whole growth of CrossFit. It used to be for EVERYone, instead of just the elite athletes.
CrossFit, which is just excercise really, IS for everyone. The CrossFit Games, or even regionals, is not.

I do beleive that it has gotten to the pont where we will see numbers drop off though, I think there will be less and less people pay to sign up just to see their names on a leader board, when you could do the workouts anyway....

This will be the first year I dont sign up.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #45
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
CrossFit, which is just excercise really, IS for everyone. The CrossFit Games, or even regionals, is not.

I do beleive that it has gotten to the pont where we will see numbers drop off though, I think there will be less and less people pay to sign up just to see their names on a leader board, when you could do the workouts anyway....

This will be the first year I dont sign up.
Milt,

I see some of this happening too. I wonder if this year will see a drop in participation (as far as paying goes) I know if I was just doing it for fun I would do the workouts and see where my scores put me, but CRossfit doesn't need my $20 that badly.

Oddly I am in the total other boat. With the right combo of movements and time domains, I realistically am a bubble athlete that could be anywhere from 60-150 in our Region. Very much depending on what the workouts are, how I perform, stay healthy etc. I have put in the work since last spring to give myself an opportunity to make it through this year. If I could care less about actualy qualifying and going I might not even have signed up.

Last year I likely didn't need to either but I wanted to see where my score would land me.

This is my last year to try and do this before I am closer to being a Masters competitor.

I wonder if you will see numbers drop off drastically somewhere along the line where you get maybe 400-500 people in each Region.

Time will tell.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I wonder if you will see numbers drop off drastically somewhere along the line where you get maybe 400-500 people in each Region.
At some point this type of thing happening would call for a "re-districting" of regions to spread out, and make it more even number wise.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #47
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I wonder if this year will see a drop in participation (as far as paying goes) I know if I was just doing it for fun I would do the workouts and see where my scores put me, but CRossfit doesn't need my $20 that badly.
If there was a way to do the WODs and be able to rank yourself I wouldn't pay the $20 But I don't know that I can do them on my own and realistically place myself in the region/worldwide without being on the Games.com leaderboard so I'll keep paying.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #48
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
If there was a way to do the WODs and be able to rank yourself I wouldn't pay the $20 But I don't know that I can do them on my own and realistically place myself in the region/worldwide without being on the Games.com leaderboard so I'll keep paying.
I've thought about this too. It's no problem to rank yourself for any individual workout. It would be really difficult or impossible to keep a cumulative rank for all five weeks unless you pay the $20 and let the website do it for you.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #49
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I don't think it'd be that tough. The website tracks cumulative scores, you can just add up your points. It wouldn't be totally correct because of people moving down around your "scores" that didn't get submitted, but then again if you aren't signed up you'd have to assume others are doing the workouts without being signed up either. So either way it's just an estimation.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #50
Christopher Morris

Profile:

You're right, Jeff. I guess I thought about it, but not too hard. You could calculate it like you said, but would have to do it differently for your region vs. worldwide, if you wanted to see both. Is it worth $20 to let the website do that for you...?