CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
I understand your point, and I get why it's there, but it really does bring a wet blanket over some larger gyms trying to make everyone feel a part of something larger than themselves. We had over 90 athletes participating in the Opens last year. We only sent one team, no individuals. We didn't really expect much more than that, but I guarantee you're not going to see the same amount of participation from people on the lower end, and you're not going to see the same glimmer of hope in people's eyes as they try to compete for the first time, and that extra something that makes them accomplish things that they never thought they could do, that's going to be gone for a lot of people. Since they no longer have a shot at anything anyway.

Like I said, I understand the reasons, but this is taking away something that made CrossFit special, and contributed to the whole growth of CrossFit. It used to be for EVERYone, instead of just the elite athletes.
I don't understand how this video requirement changes anything in the slightest for 90+ athletes at your gym (or anywhere) that don't have a shot at Regionals. I never have and never will but I'm no less excited about the Open then I have been the past two years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,301
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Jason -
If you're a coach or owner at your box, your attitude and the way you talk about the rule changes can have a good or bad effect on your members. Spin it well for them to enjoy it and have fun.
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Jason Dimaio
Member Jason Dimaio is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 31
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I don't understand how this video requirement changes anything in the slightest for 90+ athletes at your gym (or anywhere) that don't have a shot at Regionals. I never have and never will but I'm no less excited about the Open then I have been the past two years.
Before, everyone felt a part of the group. A family within our gym that is a group of people trying to make everyone else better. Now, there's going to be the "good people," and "everyone else." If you don't think that there's going to be people put off by trying something new like competing in the Opens because they're not in the same league as "those guys over there getting videotaped," I think you're missing out on what happens on people who had to work hard to get up the courage to walk into a CrossFit gym in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Jason -
If you're a coach or owner at your box, your attitude and the way you talk about the rule changes can have a good or bad effect on your members. Spin it well for them to enjoy it and have fun.
I'm not a coach or an owner, but I will anyway. I am not my gym's best athlete, but I am my gym's best cheerleader, I think. I want people to compete, to try something new, and see that there's more in them than they expected when they push themselves, or get outside their comfort zone. Like I said, I understand why it's there. I recognize that CF has now gone mainstream enough to need this. It just makes me a wee bit sad for the little guy.

Who knows. Maybe I'll be completely wrong in the effect.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
Christopher Morris
Member Christopher Morris is offline
 
Christopher Morris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch  CO
Posts: 1,301
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
I am my gym's best cheerleader, I think.
An excellent title!
__________________
Chris
http://www.drchristophermorris.com/ wfs
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
Before, everyone felt a part of the group. A family within our gym that is a group of people trying to make everyone else better. Now, there's going to be the "good people," and "everyone else." If you don't think that there's going to be people put off by trying something new like competing in the Opens because they're not in the same league as "those guys over there getting videotaped," I think you're missing out on what happens on people who had to work hard to get up the courage to walk into a CrossFit gym in the first place.
Does this group of "everyone else" have a false sense of ability that makes them think going into the Open they have a shot at Regionals? I'd assume not. Last year our gym was cheering just as loud for the person that PR'd his snatch at 135 during 13.1 as they were for the person that was working their way well through the 165s.

It doesn't have to be a segregated activity. We'll still have all our people going in groups and one or two people per round will have a camera on them, that's the only difference. And we as a gym know who our "good people" are. We cheer for them because we want our gym to be recognized at Regionals, but that doesn't mean anyone else will be intimidated or feel that their not as important. Maybe the culture at our gym is just different. Also, I'd assume most people signing up for their first Open or people that know they have no chance at any of their scores counting towards our team are doing it so they can test themselves and this would have no effect on them anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #26
Jenni Hartman
Member Jenni Hartman is offline
 
Jenni Hartman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 106
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I'm not close to qualifying for Regionals. My goal has been to be in the top half of Open finishers, and I haven't been able to do that the last three years I've competed. So, with that qualifier...

Personally, the SECOND time I do a workout is my best performance. The first time I get a feel for how I should pace, where I get tired, and how it feels by the end of the workout. With that knowledge I can do better the second time. Any repeat of the workout after that is up in the air as to whether it will be better or worse.
It's been hit or miss for me on whether the second time I do a workout is better or about the same, or worse. I've had better luck practicing transitions, placement of equipment, and just doing a few practice rounds to get a feel for what the workout is like, and then just doing it one time.

There are some workouts, like 13.3, that just weren't worth repeating again because of how much soreness I had from the movements.
__________________
Barbells and Bicycles
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Miles Roberts
Member Miles Roberts is offline
 
Miles Roberts's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Clinton  OH
Posts: 299
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
Before, everyone felt a part of the group. A family within our gym that is a group of people trying to make everyone else better. Now, there's going to be the "good people," and "everyone else." If you don't think that there's going to be people put off by trying something new like competing in the Opens because they're not in the same league as "those guys over there getting videotaped," I think you're missing out on what happens on people who had to work hard to get up the courage to walk into a CrossFit gym in the first place.


.
I would think an easy solution to that would just be to have a separate couple hours per week for people who wanted to be videotaped. Make it very public that anyone who wants a shot at regionals has to do the workouts at X or Y time. It'll add a couple hours per week for those athletes, but they probably won't mind because they're committed enough that they think they're competitive. That way, you aren't taking normal class time and alienating those folks who aren't competitive yet, or don't care to be, and just want to work out.

Your point is certainly valid though. A few times, I've felt like an outsider at my box, not part of 'that group' or whatever, and its a crummy feeling. However, I know I'm not competitive. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time getting video taped just to make me feel like part of the group. If I could go workout like usual, and the video taping was at a different time that I didn't have to go to (but could go watch if I wanted) I'd be 100% fine with that.

Not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or right, just giving my two worthless cents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #28
Glenn Plomchok
Member Glenn Plomchok is offline
 
Glenn Plomchok's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Midlothian  VA
Posts: 539
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

The way I see it, you are either good enough to qualify or you are not. You also either choose to compete or you don't...no right or wrong path or answer.

If I am not good enough but want to get there, I need to work hard and try to get there. I don't feel like an outsider vs. those who are better than me. I'm proud of their accomplishments and enjoy watching them...watched my coach make it to Regionals last year.

What does cheapen the experience is not having a level playing field...these rules should help take care of that. My singular thought process every day I am in the gym is to do my best. That is all I or anyone else can or should ask...not feel slighted because I'm not being videotaped or anything else. Get in there, do your best and feel good about it.
__________________
48; 5'8" 175; C&J 240 Sn 170, BS 330, FS 285, OHS 175
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #29
Richard Colon
Member Richard Colon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Peoria  AZ
Posts: 523
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
Before, everyone felt a part of the group. A family within our gym that is a group of people trying to make everyone else better. Now, there's going to be the "good people," and "everyone else." If you don't think that there's going to be people put off by trying something new like competing in the Opens because they're not in the same league as "those guys over there getting videotaped," I think you're missing out on what happens on people who had to work hard to get up the courage to walk into a CrossFit gym in the first place.
That's life. People need to grow up. I may sound harsh but this is just how things are and should be. Not everyone deserves to make a million dollars. Not everyone deserves to be at Regionals, make it to the Games, make it to the podium and be videotaped. I find it very hard to believe that people just "walk" into a gym and are automatically labeled as "great" and "deserving" of the attention and special treatment whereas, other people are automatically labeled as "the other people" and the not-so-great. Those that are good have done things and taken steps to make them good. Those that aren't (negating disability, or obviously physical reasons) simply haven't done certain things. They don't deserve the same results and quite simply - a person doesn't deserve the same thing as someone else that has sacrificed more. I am not a top 10 games competitor but this is not because of my gym, my age, my genetics, the attention I've been given, the options they have or any other reason or even my physical capability. I am not a top 10 games competitor because I have not made it a priority to be one. Therefore, I have not sacrificed and/or worked hard enough to deserve to be there. I respect them and admit that for myself. Elite are elite for a reason. If normal people were treated as elite then we wouldn't have elite anymore.

These distinctions happen because of the choices that people have made. Those that get all the attention and those that are in the running to make an honest shot at regionals have sacrificed more - plain and simple. If you are young (based on age group of course), healthy and otherwise have even the smallest amount of resources, then you have a shot at regionals and deserve the "special treatment."

You put out more, given more to the sport of Crossfit and have sacrificed more than the normal crossfitters to give the competition aspect a shot.

For other people, just be happy with being fit, healthy and doing your best. The presence of video cameras or not should have nothing to do with it. If it does bother you, then perhaps you are wanting something that you don't deserve. I understand that everything is "on the clock" and you are trying to "get on the whiteboard" or "beat this person", etc. but many Crossfitters really need to make the distinction of the competition of it and the life/culture of it. Sometimes its a business, a community, friends and cheering each other on. Other times (and I am not at all saying that high level competition removes these things), you need to do what is best for your competitive career. This may mean isolating and/or leaving a community because you have a better coach elsewhere. It may mean leaving the coolness and friendly gym atmosphere behind in search of other high level athletes to train with and "work on" things. That is high level athleticism. It is all about sacrifice and no...not everyone deserves to play without paying the prices. World class athletes in every other sport leave teammates, cities and fans for a shot at "the championship." That is driven by the fire to win and compete at the highest levels. People need to get over their mentality of "but they are separating and trying to be different from me." Work on you, spend less time worrying about others.

Mikko Salo had a rock wall and a wall ball made of wrapped rags and tape I think. He WON the games...It is just about priority, discipline and effort.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 01-07-2014 at 07:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #30
Kelli Talaska
Member Kelli Talaska is offline
 
Kelli Talaska's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Berkeley  CA
Posts: 51
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
Before, everyone felt a part of the group. A family within our gym that is a group of people trying to make everyone else better. Now, there's going to be the "good people," and "everyone else." If you don't think that there's going to be people put off by trying something new like competing in the Opens because they're not in the same league as "those guys over there getting videotaped," I think you're missing out on what happens on people who had to work hard to get up the courage to walk into a CrossFit gym in the first place.
I think you are bizarrely overreacting to something here. Presumably, there is already a difference between members who donated $20 to the CF Games, I mean, registered for the open (said lightheartedly, as I am one of the people who registers despite no chance of making it to regionals), and those who didn't. If you're registered, you do the open wod as Rx'd on open wod day and you get someone to judge you and count for you. If not, you do whatever scaled version is best for you, business as usual, just perhaps with a bit more hoopla and excitement generated by people competing.

Setting up little cameras for a couple members is hardly a huge jump. It's not like you have to call in the paparazzi or break out crazy giant video cameras. You can just prop up your basic point-and-shoot to catch the action. It doesn't have to be an ordeal.

If people get freaked out by working out in the same room as potential regional competitors, how do they make it to the box on a day-to-day basis?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Crossfit Open dates Jason A Smith Competitions 16 01-07-2014 02:30 PM
Comprehensive list of open, regionals and games WODS?? Thomas Cofer Workout of the Day 2 12-18-2013 11:35 AM
2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread Sean Dunston Competitions 2224 08-09-2013 02:10 PM
Tim's Log: Road to CrossFit Games 2014 Tim Lohrmann Workout Logs 2 05-07-2013 10:35 AM
2012 Open, Regional and Games thread Sean Dunston Competitions 1527 11-30-2012 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.