CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Mark Wilson

Profile:  
Hi all. I'm currently reading the paleo diet, an entirely new concept to me which i only heard about on the weekend (i'm new to crossfit too!). it makes sense to me, and when i think about it i always feel better when i eat fresh, natural food. but there are so many diets out there, so many saying this one is THE one, the others are no good. how are you supposed to know which one is the best?
one thing i am wondering about the paleo diet is, don't we have much longer lifespans now than our ancestors? isn't that partly due to diet?
another thing i was wondering, look at people like lance armstrong, super fit, eats tons of carbs and about 7000 calories a day. i know he's burning the calories off, but he doesn't eat a paleo diet and seems to be in great shape.
other athletes don't eat paleo diets either, be they soccer players, rugby players, formula 1 drivers, MMA's, football, etc... and they are all in great shape, appear healthy.
i'm probably going to start moving to a paleo diet as it just makes sense to me, but maybe someone can answer my concerns?
thanks
mark
Old 10-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mark-

Read through the nutrition archives...there is a LOAD of info covering many of your concerns.

As to increased lifespan these days I have one word: antibiotics.

At www.thepaleodiet.com there are many articles (by LOren Cordain) with one in particular geared towards "Common misconceptions of the Paleo Diet".

My approach is to to use concepts of the paleo diet to determine what to eat and use protocols like the Zone or Natural Hormonal Enhancement to determine how to eat.
Robb
Old 10-20-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Mark,

Try the Paleo Diet for two weeks. Try the Zone Diet for two weeks. Get Optimal Sports Nutrition from Michael Colgan (It's been a while since I made my decision), and try that two weeks. Etc. You got Andrew Weil, you got diets oriented around endurance athletics. It keeps going. Try representative samples of each, if you're serious about finding the right diet.

Pay attention to your body. How is your mental clarity? How is your energy level? Are you sleeping more or less? How often are you hungry? Are you looking forward to meals or dreading them? Are you getting fatter, skinnier, or staying the same?

Forget what people tell you. Everybody has an agenda, but it's your health. Only you can make the decision, and I will guarantee you that I can find a medical doctor and registered dietician to support just about anything. Nobody benefits from your decisions but you, and nobody suffers but you.

If you feel good consistently, you're probably doing good. If you feel like crap, maybe that should be considered too, even if all the research you read says it should be wonderful. Don't rationalize if you don't feel good.