CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
All,

I have been doing extra cardio in addition to the WOD. Specifically I have been trying to 40+ minutes of Rowing/Biking/Treadmill/Elliptical when I row more then 10-15 minutes my left leg falls asleep. Does anyone else experience this? Is there an easy fix, more padding for the seat? Watch my form?

Thanks,
Ryan.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I would guess it's either compression of the nerve or restriction of blood flow. There's a similar phenomena with stairmasters, people's toes go numb from being on the ball of the foot so long.

Might be something that could be improved with better seat padding (C2 sells a cool seat pad for around $10).

Could also be your posture, if you are excessively tucking the pelvis under all the time you might be hitting the soft tissue up next to the tailbone instead of being on the pelvis.

Maybe taking a few seconds every 5 or 10 minutes to just stand up and take the pressure off?

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
S. Tyler Bayles

Profile:
where specifically is your leg numb? if its the outher thigh you probably have meralgia paresthetica... fancy name for nerve compression. also, losing weight can expose nerves to compression...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Ryan Scott

Profile:
S. Tyler Bayles,

I really wish it was that I was too thin, but I think it might be just the opposite, I am probably 80lbs overweight, that is the reason I am doing extra cardio. The numbness starts in my foot and moves up to just above the knee. When I get off the machine it feels tingling/burning like if you had slept on your arm. I will continue to just get off the machine every 10-15 minutes, it just sucks to break it up when I am in the groove.

Kenneth,

I will look into the seat pad... I get strange looks in the gym now, I wonder what they will think when I start carrying in my own seat pad ;-)

Ryan.