CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Ankit Patel

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian doing CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Aren't you tired of bananas? I eat one a day because they're cheap and stuff, and even at that they get pretty boring.
Aren't bananas not a great fruit to eat from the stand point of too much insulin production?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #22
Murray Birch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Aren't you tired of bananas? I eat one a day because they're cheap and stuff, and even at that they get pretty boring.
Slather some peanut butter on your bananas and you're good to go. I know PB is taboo for Paleo-tarians, but it is just soo good.

Any one heard of "The Vegetarian Myth"? The writer was a vegan for 20 years, and due to suffering health (depression, no energy, no period) was forced to rethink her position. She was horrified at the damage industrial agriculture is doing to the topsoil and the planet, and wrote this book to share her story. Here's an interview (w/f/s) on Our Natural Life with some excellent info on the dangers of soy.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #23
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

I've read some reviews of it. A few reasons I have not bought the book:

I'm told she calls the exploitation of animals a "reciprocal relationship" in this book, which I find laughable;

I also understand she equates the rise of agriculture with the rise of war and violence, which is an ignorant and uneducated belief. I'm a BFA in Art History, and I've spent a lot of time studying the archaeology of the transition between Paleolithic and Neolithic cultures so I happen to hold this myth in particular disdain. The signs of violence and cannibalism are to be found in Paleolithic sites everywhere.

Finally I read that she began eating meat again based on the advice of her Qi Gong instructor. Now, I'm not saying the woman was eating a healthy vegan diet previously. But she has, it seems, blamed her disease on her diet based on the assertions of someone who is not a doctor.

I already know monoculture and other soil-stripping practices are bad. I don't need to read a book filled with misinformation to be told that. The three statements above are deal-breakers for me: I won't be spending my money on the book.

Last edited by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay : 08-27-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
Murray Birch

Profile:

Points 1 and 2 well taken. In the interview, though she says that she already knew her diet was killing her (which, like you said, we don't know how healthy it was.) The Qui Gong instructor just gave her the push she needed to investigate further. I thought it was pretty significant when she recounted her first time eating tuna- she says it felt like she knew for the first time in 20 years what it felt like to be fed.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Jeff Evans

Profile:

It's hard to tell much about the book without actually reading it since the Amazon.com reviews for it are obviously a lightning rod for both sides of an emotionally charged debate. I plan on picking it up soon and will provide as unbiased of a review as I'm able.