CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian doing CrossFit

I'm not sure what you mean by concentrated proteins. When I cut out legumes, that left only vegetables, fruits and occacional fish for protein. I probably will buy the Hemp powder next time I get to the store. I just tried life without it, and didn't feel any different, so I left it out.

Fats, I intake very little. Usually oils (flax, olive, & grapeseed) to saute or dress veggies. Occasional avocados and nuts.

B12 is what I am most concerned about. I've been meaning to get my blood test for a while now. From what I gather, some vegans use supplements and some say they dont. I'm so anti-supplement, I might even consider eating more meat than a pill. Thanks for the heads up on nutritional yeast....I'll look into it. I hope that gets your counts up to normal levels.

I make sure I fast at least once a year. It's great to wind down the workouts, relax the body, practice a little self control, and just chill.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

I meant foods that have more protein than, say, a banana. I'm not sure anyone who does CF can manage without adding more protein than you'd get from a solely veggies and fruits type diet. Even just adding some sprouted grains to the mix would help. Nuts and seeds have good fats in them, and protein.

I'd say if you only eat fish a few times a year you're bound to run into a B12 deficiency eventually. It takes awhile to get low. When you look for nutritional yeast, make sure it actually says it has a veg B12 source added because Nutritional Yeast doesn't naturally have it. Most brands are supplemented. Also most commercial veg products seem to have B12 added, like the Silk soymilk I drink and lots of the "burger" type things. All of which might be good for you, to help get that protein intake up.

It's cool that you feel energetic on this diet, but my guess is without a higher fat and protein intake you're eventually going to start feeling run down, have slower recovery times, and may even have some problems with hair loss, etc. eventually. What's your current body fat %?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Ankit Patel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Ankit, do you fast? If so, how often? How long?
John,
I don't fast at all. I used to try it but honestly it really affects my performance so i stay away from it. Maybe I'll try it again at some point. How does it effect your workouts?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #14
John C Corona

Profile:

Rachel, I tend to follow Dr. Graham's 80-10-10 diet.....which is a raw food diet (though I still cook veggies nightly) where 80% is carbs, then 10/10 of proteins/fats. I do consume grains sometimes like brown rice or quinoa, but cant say it's daily. Again, the hemp was my way of trying to get more protein daily but didn't feel like it was changing the way I felt/worked out/recovered. My CF'ing is still improving on most workouts, and my recovery is even better. I sometimes have the energy and non-soreness to workout on rest days. Just this morning, my gym told me, stay home tommorrow and rest. As for the hair, well it's in the family, my brother starting loosing it in his mid twenties, mine waited a little longer. I haven't tested BF%, I would guess 15% or less. I am pretty vascular and can see the veins in my lower abs if that means anything.

Ankit, the fasting takes priority to working out, when I do it. I'll take my typical 2500 cal/day and cut 500 each day. So monday is 2500 Cals, tues 2000Cals, wed 1500Cals, thurs 1000Cals, fri 500Cals, and Sat is when I wake up and eat nothing till Sunday morning juice and light breakfast and lunch. Monday back to normal. I can still workout as normal thru Wed, but thursday thru sunday I take off from major work, maybe just do the warmup and always do yoga. On Fri and Sat I just take it very easy, cuz too much exertion can cause light-headedness. I can't say any strength is lost in the long run. If anything endurance improves a tad from loosing a few pounds that week. This is just my way of doing it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
Ankit Patel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moyer View Post
I just joined crossfit and have been vegetarian for about 6-8months.... I became vegetarian because of health stuff (taking part of my colon) and other medical stuff found that I needed a high protein and high fiber diet which leaves out meat. I do eat eggs, and fish and because of a Vit D issue I started to eat cheese and milk again. I eat minimal processed food... started exercising and a result joined crossfit.... it's been about 5 years to bring me here..had lots of stuff to fight (mostly me) and got beat up a bit to get here..
Walter,
How do you feel these days since you've switched? How does it effect your workouts?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Laura Kurth

Profile:

John C- do you ever worry about overconsumption of fructose? I know Lyle McD has wrote about consumptions in excess of 50g/day of fructose can cause problems.. though I haven't looked into this in detail.

Have you heard or read anything about this?

I just thought, since you consume so many bananas and other fruits your fructose intake must be quite high.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
John C Corona

Profile:

yeah Laura, in some way, I'm always wondering if I'm eating properly. I will look up the fructose overconsumption now that you've mentioned (Thanks for the heads up). A quick wiki on 'fructose malabsorbtion' I just learned that bananas fructose-to-glucose ratio is less than 1, and since glucose helps fructose absorbtion, bananas aren't on the list of high fructose foods. But surely 15 of them a day could result in high amounts of fructose (I won't deny that).

I am so not trying to prove my stance or anything like that. It is difficult to know if what I'm doing is right other than 'feeling'. I dont have diabetes but I have a glucose monitor, and frequently test my blood sugar. I can not get that thing to spike above 150mg/dl, no matter when I test it (fasting/before/during/after meals). It is hard to find info on self monitoring some of this stuff. I will definitely check out Lyle's site and others to find out more of what they say of these limits. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
I dont have diabetes but I have a glucose monitor, and frequently test my blood sugar. I can not get that thing to spike above 150mg/dl, no matter when I test it (fasting/before/during/after meals).
In addition to this, you might want to consider getting a more complete blood test somewhat regularly. In particular, triglyceride levels could be a concern (w/fs) with high fructose intake.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
In addition to this, you might want to consider getting a more complete blood test somewhat regularly. In particular, triglyceride levels could be a concern (w/fs) with high fructose intake.
Roger that - my total cholesterol was 115 almost a year ago. But it wasn't the full monty like with particle size/triglycerides or anything like that. It's like pulling teeth to get a blood test done since I cancelled my health insurance. I gotsta go with an online Direct Access testing site. Thanks Jeff.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Aren't you tired of bananas? I eat one a day because they're cheap and stuff, and even at that they get pretty boring.