CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Vegetarian.....?

Possible? No? I've been a vegetarian for over 3 years. I'm really into cross-fit. An the Paleo-diet. (The raw foods, perimeter of the grocery store kind of eating) but it's like... MEATMEATMEATMEAT.
Uh? What to do!? Suggestions???
Old 10-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Eric Kropp

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian.....?

You could get your protein mostly from eggs, milk, and whey powder if you want to avoid meat. Just make sure you have at least one decent source of protein with each meal.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

Eat meat?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Kevin Drury

Profile:

I am a vegetarian and I get by just fine. Just pay attention to your protein numbers make sure you are getting enough. Seitan, tempeh, tofu, whey powder, eggs and dairy are all good sources. Being 100% paleo is almost impossible if you want to keep your protein levels up. I have only been CF'ing for about 2 mos so far and I feel great. Also, not sure where veggie burgers fall in the scale of things, but if you have two its over 20g of protein. I definitely think it is possible to succeed.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Drury View Post
I am a vegetarian and I get by just fine. Just pay attention to your protein numbers make sure you are getting enough. Seitan, tempeh, tofu, whey powder, eggs and dairy are all good sources. Being 100% paleo is almost impossible if you want to keep your protein levels up. I have only been CF'ing for about 2 mos so far and I feel great. Also, not sure where veggie burgers fall in the scale of things, but if you have two its over 20g of protein. I definitely think it is possible to succeed.
Thanks so muchhh!!! That's great - good for you And again, thanks so much for the tips. I'm still all new to this. My trainer and I have officially started sessions this week so it's just week 1 for me. I'm going to a Paleo food session this weekend. We'll see how it goes. Again, thanks for the little boost of confidence in this
Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Search around for the other vegetarian threads. Resounding answer is you will get the best results if you eat meat. There are many former vegetarians on here (myself included) who now eat meat. I had moral qualms, and have since changed the quality and source of my meat products, and feel much better about it.

If you're flexible, look into buying meat locally. You'll find that local ranchers are not the same kinds of "monsters" that the factory farmers appear to be. If meat is not, and never will be an option, regardless of source or method of slaughter, then eggs and milk would be the next best thing. Stay away from the soy if you can. Stay away from grain-fed protein if you can as well.

Ultimately those processed forms of protein are not going to get you the same results. Can you succeed? Sure; just work hard. Can you thrive? Probably not as much as you would if you were eating "correctly."

Just some quick thoughts from a former veg-head.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Kevin Drury

Profile:

I agree with Elliot's statement above. To reach your fullest potential I think you'd almost certainly have to eat meat. But, if you are satisfied with your fullest potential while not eating meat, then you have nothing to worry about. You can still be skinny, and ripped, and post good numbers on WOD. But you are probably limited to some extent by not eating meat.

If you can afford to buy your meat from local ranchers, then that sort of takes a lot of the moral qualms out of the equation (enivronmental impact, slaughter methods). Just depends on why you are a vegetarian.

I still do a lot of whey to boost my protein numbers. I also eat a lot of cheese and eggs almost daily. Fitday helps to make sure you are getting everything you need, protein is always the hardest to come by.

I picked up eating fish a while back. Mostly canned tuna. It makes it a lot easier to hit my protein numbers. Maybe that is something you are willing to consider? I know it made it easier for me. I think the term is pesca-tarian or something like that.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Yes, actually I have been considering adding fish into my diet. (Pesca-tarian kind of diet.)
Thanks so much for the replies, they help out a bunch!!! <3!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
Yes, actually I have been considering adding fish into my diet. (Pesca-tarian kind of diet.)
Thanks so much for the replies, they help out a bunch!!! <3!
Would be a great idea to try. It's very difficult to get sufficient EPA and DHA on a pure vegetarian diet, and you'd also benefit from the protein, B-12, Vitamin D, etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

question is, why are you a vegetarian? is it for ethical reasons?

It is of course possible to follow a perfectly healthy vegetarian diet, and meet your protein needs. It's just going to be a lot harder.