CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:
USAW Cert - now what?

Hi all,

Happy holidays!

For the past 12 months I've been coaching part time at the local box and absolutely love it. I did the USAW with Jim Schmitz earlier this year and now trying to figure out what's my next step.

Most of my coworkers have the L1 but I cant figure out if I will benefit from it? Would I get more knowledge with other certs out there? Can you recommend me certs/seminars?
My plan is to continue to coach part time and not looking to affiliate.

Any thoughts?

K
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: USAW Cert - now what?

Depends - are you lead coaching right now or just assistant coaching?

Depending on your affiliate's insurance you may have to have an L1 to teach classes by yourself, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

If you've been coaching a year and have experience and soak up knowledge as a good coach should, you probably already know the L1 stuff.

If you want more certs, I'd look to the controlling organizations for the specific aspects you enjoy doing as see what they have in terms of seminars and such.

At least, that's what I'm doing/would do. I'm assistant coaching without an L1, was looking into the USAW cert but the coach that runs them in the area is my weightlifting coach, so I already get the benefit of his knowledge and experience
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think you can coach as an assistant/intern under a L1 coach that co-coaches the class/es.

Besides the USAW, I'd say time spent under the bar, at least 2-3x/week. If you want to coach the CF classes solo then get your L1.

You could also look into gymnastics or spending some time at Takano's or Waxman's down there. My friend lifts over at AFP.

There should be a handful of gyms around there to do gymnastics at if you're interested besides just Dusty Hyland's Dogtown CF. Or you can look into the GymnasticBodies or CFGymnastics seminar.

If you were really into Weightlifting, you might be able to catch the Russian entourage with Ilya down there. $$$ though.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Depends - are you lead coaching right now or just assistant coaching?

Depending on your affiliate's insurance you may have to have an L1 to teach classes by yourself, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

If you've been coaching a year and have experience and soak up knowledge as a good coach should, you probably already know the L1 stuff.

If you want more certs, I'd look to the controlling organizations for the specific aspects you enjoy doing as see what they have in terms of seminars and such.

At least, that's what I'm doing/would do. I'm assistant coaching without an L1, was looking into the USAW cert but the coach that runs them in the area is my weightlifting coach, so I already get the benefit of his knowledge and experience
Thanks bud! Yes I'm teaching my own classes (always with a L1 certified coach in the gym) I will see what I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I think you can coach as an assistant/intern under a L1 coach that co-coaches the class/es.

Besides the USAW, I'd say time spent under the bar, at least 2-3x/week. If you want to coach the CF classes solo then get your L1.

You could also look into gymnastics or spending some time at Takano's or Waxman's down there. My friend lifts over at AFP.

There should be a handful of gyms around there to do gymnastics at if you're interested besides just Dusty Hyland's Dogtown CF. Or you can look into the GymnasticBodies or CFGymnastics seminar.

If you were really into Weightlifting, you might be able to catch the Russian entourage with Ilya down there. $$$ though.
Thanks!! I was hoping to get a comment from you. Actually I recently moved to NorCal and have fairly close to Catalyst and CalStrength. Should I not worry about the certs and just get work in at respective clubs?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, I think you'll get more out of actual time in with a weightlifting club and good coach than clinics or seminar.

Then again I have only been to short clinics but I have plenty of friends who have done the CF Oly who didn't know **** about breaking down the lifts. They thought my lifts were fine when they were utter **** for instance.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Adam Morden

Profile:

I really liked the CF football cert for a different perspective on applications of CF training, and the starting strength cert with Rip is amazing. If you want to really focus on CrossFit coaching the L1 is kind of a necessary hurdle (as in you require it to teach CF classes on your own at an affiliate per the affiliate agreement - as mentioned before the actual info in the cert might be review for you). I also enjoyed the RKC course but I don't know what it's like now I did mine back in 2004.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Skarsfeldt View Post
Yes I'm teaching my own classes (always with a L1 certified coach in the gym)
Kristian,

I wouldn't advertise this too much. Here are CrossFit's training requirements:

Quote:
10.36. Can I work as a trainer at an affiliate if I'm not certified by CrossFit?

You may instruct as an apprentice, under the mentoring of an L1 Certified CrossFit trainer.

All trainers at a CrossFit affiliate must hold a CrossFit Level One Certification. Apprentice (non-L1 certified) trainers may work under the direct supervision of a certified L1 trainer prior to obtaining their L1 certification.
This sounds to me like non-L1 coaches are allowed to assist with a class but not lead it on their own. I'm not sure sure that just having a L1 coach in the gym qualifies as apprenticing. I think mentoring implies that the level 1 trainer is directly supervising and training you.

The way you described it, If you are coaching your own classes, it sounds like you are a trainer and the owner of your box might get in trouble for letting non-L1 trainers lead their classes. Additionally, this might put them at risk for a lawsuit if someone were to get hurt in one of your classes.

Of course, I'm no expert on this...just a guy with a word of caution.