CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Joseph Patrick

Profile:
squat snatch vs. split snatch

I am working dilligently on my snatch form..I'm a taller guy ( 6' 2") and landing in the full squat position is harder than landing in a split..is there any difference? any advantage of one over another? I have watched videos and often,if not always,see Josh Everett landing in a split position. I was putting up some impressive weight last night having used the split stance...any info?? Sorry if this has been answered before..I did do a search and not much came up.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: squat snatch vs. split snatch

Ideally one should be able to handle more weight in a squat snatch because the bar does not have to be pulled as high. Chances are your technique and flexibility is not the best with snatches, but I cannot tell without a video to look at.

On the other hand, you may be the few (like Josh) who are better suited for a split receipt. I doubt it, it's probably just you being wary of getting under the bar and not used to handling load in an OHS. If you are however better suited to a split snatch, don't both with the squat style then, it would be just a waste of your time. Mike Burgener spent a long enough time with Josh to get him to squat snatch and it ended up being a waste of 2 years if I recall. However, this does not mean you should forego snatches, still practice the positioning and movement.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Patrick View Post
I am working dilligently on my snatch form..I'm a taller guy ( 6' 2") and landing in the full squat position is harder than landing in a split..is there any difference? any advantage of one over another? I have watched videos and often,if not always,see Josh Everett landing in a split position. I was putting up some impressive weight last night having used the split stance...any info?? Sorry if this has been answered before..I did do a search and not much came up.
What is a squat snatch? I am being sarcastic. Why do we have to start adding the qualifier "squat" to Snatch. Only on crossfit...

I second what Brian said above. If you find someone who is technically proficient at a Snatch and Split Snatch then they will be able to lift more with Snatch. For whatever reason, you are not as proficient with your snatch and you are making up for it by changing to split stance. I was always under the impression Josh Everett did his Cleans and Snatches with the Split recieving position due to an injury or something that doesn't allow him any better. But I did see the King Kong Video during which Josh Everett did a regular clean with 255lbs.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Colin McNulty

Profile:

> I'm a taller guy ( 6' 2")

I'm 6' 1/2", so only just smaller than you, and I don't have too much of problem getting low in the Snatch. Check out this video of me at the British Masters a few months ago: http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/200...ip-video-2009/ (wfs)

Squat snatch allows you to get lower under the bar than the split snatch so you'll ulitmately be able to lift more.

> I was putting up some impressive weight last night

What's "some impressive weight"? As you see in the video, I got 77kg / 169lbs, which is 96% of body weight, which was heavy enough! When I get to a BW snatch I'll be very happy.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

If you don't have any previous history of shoulder problems - you might just need to work that flexibility in the bottom of Overhead Squat/Snatch for a while.

I'm 6'3" with really long arms and with diligent work got up to being able to squat snatch, squat jerk and overhead squat up to 95 lbs (never tried more) with my hands together overhead.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Bill Robertson

Profile:

You don't have to pull the bar any higher to split. If you have shoulder problems using the split style might be easier. Height has nothing to do with using the split or squat style.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Joseph Patrick

Profile:

Thanks for the response guys...okay,I can see what you are saying about building up strength with doing an actual squat snatch,but for me,the split just seems more natural...I was able to bump my weight up from 135 squat snatching to about 155-160 with using the split....My ohs pr is right around 115-120...does this make any sense?? I wil continue to work on the squat form but will still throw in the split to really get some numbers up....in a way,isn't it just like chosing whether to land in a split stance from a jerk???

Last edited by Joseph Patrick : 05-02-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Joseph,

Yeah, your OHS pr and your snatch and split snatch numbers are a little out of whack. I'm going to assume it's because you're still new to the lift. I'd definitely work on your OHS numbers in order to increase your snatch PR.

Yes, it's somewhat of a personal preference in how you choose to perform the lift, BUT the majority of o-lifters perform the squat versions of the snatch/CJ and the split version of the jerk - generally they're the most efficient for putting up the most weight.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Don't do overhead squats to improve your snatch. DO THE SNATCH!!! Read Greg Everett's article on proper starting position, which is dead-on:

"The Olympic Lift Starting Position"
http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...ty&shortyID=49 (work/family safe)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

I would have to see how your form looks to tell what I would use, but if the split feels more natural do it. The split method of the Snatch is just as athletic as the squat. I think it is a cool thing when some one can split snatch a lot of weight, it takes a different kind of coordination.
If you want to have fun now and then try switching which foot goes forward and backwards (with lighter weight).

just splitting might affect your times in workouts that use squat snatches so be mind full of that. It might be helpful to train both split and squat, like you were saying. I agree with Andrew if you want to get better in the lifts do them.