CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Celestino Santiago

Profile:
Barbells Drop or don't drop?

Hello all,
Im fairly new to CrossFit (Been doing it on my own for little over 1 yr) and would like to know...What if I found a good space to open up an affiliate and the landlord didnt allow the high dropping of the weights, but could deal with a few thump's here and there...should I take it or look elsewhere? I never really understood the dropping of the weights, I personally like to keep control of the weights at all time. Do you have to drop the weights in CrossFit?
Which brings me to my next question...If the weights arent being slammed onto the deck would I be able to get away with cheaper Bars (1000lb cap) or go with the official competition ones?
Thank you in advance to whoever helps out, I am in the process of trying to become an affiliate and have a crap load of questions.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Barbells Drop or don't drop?

If you are doing maxes with the oly lifts, you will need to be able to drop weights. If you'll be dropping weights, I would suggest either an oly training bar or the hybrid bars (B&R bar and I"m sure there are others)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino Santiago View Post
Hello all,
Im fairly new to CrossFit (Been doing it on my own for little over 1 yr) and would like to know...What if I found a good space to open up an affiliate and the landlord didnt allow the high dropping of the weights, but could deal with a few thump's here and there...should I take it or look elsewhere? I never really understood the dropping of the weights, I personally like to keep control of the weights at all time. Do you have to drop the weights in CrossFit?
Which brings me to my next question...If the weights arent being slammed onto the deck would I be able to get away with cheaper Bars (1000lb cap) or go with the official competition ones?
Thank you in advance to whoever helps out, I am in the process of trying to become an affiliate and have a crap load of questions.
being able to drop weights is a safety issue. Someone can really get hurt if they are attempting a lift and worrying about it dropping when they are failing. They may hold onto it too long or try to catch it on their legs. In any event, if you are going to have others doing CrossFit and are going to be responsible for their safety, I would recommend finding a place that will allow weights to be dropped, or building vibration dampening platforms and using barbells that are designed to be used in the Olympic lifts. The initial expense is higher, but you don't want a lawsuit on your hands because someone was worried about noise or the sleeve of one of the barbells fell off.

You certainly don't need competition bars $600+. There are several more reasonably priced options that are perfectly safe to be used for CrossFit.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Jeff Yan

Profile:

keep looking for a place that will allow you to drop weights
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
being able to drop weights is a safety issue. Someone can really get hurt if they are attempting a lift and worrying about it dropping when they are failing. They may hold onto it too long or try to catch it on their legs. In any event, if you are going to have others doing CrossFit and are going to be responsible for their safety, I would recommend finding a place that will allow weights to be dropped, or building vibration dampening platforms and using barbells that are designed to be used in the Olympic lifts. The initial expense is higher, but you don't want a lawsuit on your hands because someone was worried about noise or the sleeve of one of the barbells fell off.

You certainly don't need competition bars $600+. There are several more reasonably priced options that are perfectly safe to be used for CrossFit.
+1 this.

IMO Dumping the weights is part of the technique for Oly Lifts. You can't go to 1RM or failure safely if you are trained to not drop. I also believe in a WOD like Grace you would waste alot of energy bringing the bar down.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino Santiago View Post
Hello all,
You are not ready to open an affiliate if you still need to ask questions like these.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
You are not ready to open an affiliate if you still need to ask questions like these.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

Whoa whoa... someone agreeing with Darryl? I kid, I kid.

I'll 2nd that. Lots more researching on topics like these!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Whoa whoa... someone agreeing with Darryl?
Aw crud. Didn't even notice who had written the durned message. My bad.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Celestino Santiago

Profile:

Thanks for the replies, now let me rephrase myself...by process I meant I would eventually like to open an affiliate. Im sure after my Level 1 completion this weekend I will be better educated on this matter.

Besides horse stalls, would adding another cut out layer or 2 where the weights would most likely drop onto reduce the noise the tenants downstairs hear? Considering the space and price I was offered I just dont see anyone even coming close.