CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
David S Shiroma

Profile:
Etiquette in gym.

Hi guys, I posted this story in my Work Out Log as well, but I don't expect much in the way of replies there, and I'm really curious about this so I wanted to ask you what you think.

This happened today during my workout and I was rather surprised by what happened. I'd just like to know whether I did something wrong, or if I just should chalk it up to "people are jerks"? I'm perfectly willing to accept the possibility that I did something that I shouldn't have but I just don't know.

After my warm up, both power lifting areas were taken up by other people, so I found an area next to the military press bench. I took the bar from the military bench so nobody else would sit down there(I was afraid of dumping backwards and hurting someone. After my fourth set(where I dumped on my last rep.... backwards) A young guy and his female friend(GF?) came over, sat down on the military bench and grabbed another bar from a different bench and started setting up.
Concerned for his safety (and mine) I turned around and said:
Me: "I just wanted to warn you, I'm doing some overhead squats, its my first time doing them so I may dump backwards, and I do not want to accidentally catch your bar during your exercise and hurt you"(not paraphrased... this is exactly what I said)
Him: "then make sure you don't do that then"
(in my mind..... this was just a butt-holeish thing to say to some stranger who warned you, trying to be nice)
I replied: "well, its your head, I just wanted to give you a heads up"( my facial expression was a cross between disgust and surprise)
he rolls his eyes and ignores me after that.

So, I wait until they are between sets to finish my last set, where I hear whispering and snickers behind me...(I'm assuming they're making fun of me at this point).

I finish my last set, clean up my weights and move on to deadlifts. (power lifting area opened up by now)
Where, while I'm setting up I see them looking over at me and snickering the whole time.

My question to the CF community is: Did I do something wrong? Was I overly rude, or somehow broke some customary gym doo-dad thingie that I wasn't aware of?
Or did I come across as a complete jerk(Yeah, my response to his was rather snide ).
I really want to know so I can avoid ticking off other gym-monkies in the future.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Omar Omar

Profile:
Re: Etiquette in gym.

WOW man.

I propably would have started a fight for sure. OMG. I cant belive you. you should be looking for him outside the damn gym.

I mean I will be honest. I would have been surprised by his reply, I also would have had a similar reaction to yours.

but when i move I dont expect him to talk and giggle about me. I would have went right back and asked if he had a problem.
I would have been aggressive about it too. like i would not go back to him and ask if he had a problem but go like "you have a problem idiot. ha. you have something to say" and wouldnot even let him speak, If he got scared by then id go like "go **** yourself" and leave him, if a fight starts he was at fault from the beggining.

I propably would have done that as long as he is less than 6' and 200 pounds.

but i cant let this go.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Travis Loest

Profile:

It's not you, it's them. I accidentally dropped 135# on the back of a guys head after repeated warning that I was doing over head work and he should move, he'd shift, then start talking to his friend and slowly shift back under the weight. I warned him and his 3 friends using the cable machine right next to the squat rack about three or four times. I didn't realize that he'd shifted while I was lifting and when I was bringing it back down to my shoulders it caught him on the back of his head. He hit the ground with the back of his scalp peeled back. I tried to pretend that I cared, I called the gym people and called 911. Some people get upset with you if you warn them because you should obviously get out of their way, it doesn't matter if you were there first.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Omar Omar

Profile:

most of these *******s act touph untill you stand up.

The other day some idiot was bieng abnoxious at the mall and pointing his finger to everyone for no reason, he was with three of his friends. So by the time he did that to us (me and three others) one of my buddies spat on his face. He wasnot so brave after.

HE DID NOTHING.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
David S Shiroma

Profile:

Heya there Omar and Travis.

Indeed he was proabably about 6ft, and far more muscled than I was.
I wasn't afraid of him, not too many people physically intimidate me.
It was that I was more confused by the whole situation and felt it
wasn't worth it for me to pursue it for an explanation.
I live in Richmond, CA. Formerly the U.S. murder and violent crime capital. I'm very conscious of that fact, and at any point, if I insult someone it may be my last. Its just not worth pursuing, ever.

I honestly hope that he figures out whatever is making him react that way and tempers it before he gets himself or his friend hurt.

He was probably just trying to make himself look good in front of the girl, who judging from her own reaction to the situation was a good match for him. :P
Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nope, he's probably a young *********. Ya either can go alpha male or you can let it slide. There is a time and place for both. Sometimes the stress level isn't worth it.

Next time, ya know now to move the military bench (if you can) to clear some more space.

Yeah, Richmond...not. I try not to leave the Amtrak/Bart Station. However, there is a good taqueria just down a block.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Len Nuanez

Profile:

I've noticed a general downfall of common curtosey in the gym lately. Its especially bad at certain times of the day at the base gym. Just imagine dozens of former athletes now in their late teens early 20's congregating and trying to impress the 3 girls total in the gym. Lots of bravado and chest bumping! Ive had to chase guys down and to ask them to clear their weights. Ive had a couple guys try to walk by me while dead lifting 300+. I think we should have a mandatory gym etiquette and non A-holish training for everybody who walks in.
To the OP I bet they were just in shock of somebody doing something other then bench and curls, I mean come on, who does Over Head Squat?! lol.
USN 251 Lbs, 6'2" 185 SP/545 DL/515 BS, Fran 5:03, Helen 9:12
http://www.bodybynuanez.blogspot.com
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Nuanez View Post
I've noticed a general downfall of common curtosey in the gym lately. Its especially bad at certain times of the day at the base gym. Just imagine dozens of former athletes now in their late teens early 20's congregating and trying to impress the 3 girls total in the gym. Lots of bravado and chest bumping! Ive had to chase guys down and to ask them to clear their weights. Ive had a couple guys try to walk by me while dead lifting 300+. I think we should have a mandatory gym etiquette and non A-holish training for everybody who walks in.
To the OP I bet they were just in shock of somebody doing something other then bench and curls, I mean come on, who does Over Head Squat?! lol.
i don't remember where/when i read this...but "back in the old days" the older gym rats would grab an 15 year old kid that just started lifting and show him the ropes, let him know what was okay, what wasn't...what was proper behavior and stuff.

With the increase in globos that's missing now...or something like that.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Jared Ray

Profile:

So, let's put all the attitude away and look at this. If I am reading this right you were using the area close to the press rack but not using the press rack? At the same time you were not using this equipment you were still rendering it useless for anyone else in the gym. I think I would find another spot or just wait or whatever. In my opinion the correct manners here would be for you to remember there are people wanting to use that space for what it is intended for. It doesn't matter if they are doing curls or sitting presses because they are in the right spot for that exercise and you are not. But I wasn't there that's just what I get from the post.....
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Gym etiquette-wise you shouldn't have been overhead squatting in front of the military bench in the first place, you should have waited for a platform to open up or talked to one of the guys using a platform and gotten their permission to do overhead squats in between their sets.