CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Andy Poquette

Profile:
This is no freakin' joke...

So, I thought "Hey, I'm in decent shape, I can probably start with a little bit of scaling for the WOD and move up quickly."

HA

HAHA

Not.

First of all; this is crazy. If you can do the WOD as Rx'd (and I mean the one's like Angie, Murphy, etc. basically the named WODs), you're crazy. (In a good way) Second of all; this is awesome. I actually feel like I'm doing something. I scaled back and I'm starting much more slowly than I thought I would have to, but I feel like I'm getting a real "workout."

I'm kind of learning the hard way that crossfit is 90% mental and 10% physical. I know I've stopped before I could have in my first few WODs. I get it into my mind that I'm sore, can barely breathe, and therefore must stop. So, I start to head to the locker room and when I'm in my car, I realize I could have gone another round.

For anyone just starting, take the advice of the people here. Scale, and write it down! (two things I also learned the hard way) It turns out that the people here know what they're talking about!

I can't wait until I can hit a Murph, Angie, or Helen as Rx'd. Hoping that day isn't too far away!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:
Re: This is no freakin' joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Poquette View Post
So, I thought "Hey, I'm in decent shape, I can probably start with a little bit of scaling for the WOD and move up quickly."

HA

HAHA

Not.

First of all; this is crazy. If you can do the WOD as Rx'd (and I mean the one's like Angie, Murphy, etc. basically the named WODs), you're crazy. (In a good way) Second of all; this is awesome. I actually feel like I'm doing something. I scaled back and I'm starting much more slowly than I thought I would have to, but I feel like I'm getting a real "workout."

I'm kind of learning the hard way that crossfit is 90% mental and 10% physical. I know I've stopped before I could have in my first few WODs. I get it into my mind that I'm sore, can barely breathe, and therefore must stop. So, I start to head to the locker room and when I'm in my car, I realize I could have gone another round.

For anyone just starting, take the advice of the people here. Scale, and write it down! (two things I also learned the hard way) It turns out that the people here know what they're talking about!

I can't wait until I can hit a Murph, Angie, or Helen as Rx'd. Hoping that day isn't too far away!
I'm glad you scaled it and are taking a progressive approach on the WOD. That's the best way to go, and it won't be long until you hit them as rx'ed you'll see !

Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Jennifer Patten

Profile:

Hi Andy,

You are definitely right about the importance of both scaling and logging your workouts at the beginning. Being able to look back and see your progress will help to keep you motivated.

Having someone to work out with can also help keep you motivated and help you push just a little harder during a WOD. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime to work out.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Bob Pratt

Profile:

Welcome...
You may find that initially that crossfit is 90% mental and 10% physical. As you progress and become mentally stronger it gets more like 50/50. After youíve done most of the named WODs the intimidation factor becomes less and itís a matter of improving your times. I donít have to convince myself that I ďcan doĒ Murph, I just need to get started. With the shorter WODs the mental aspect is a given (all out) itís the physical aspect that changes day to day. Take Cindy for example (one of my favorites): pull-ups are key, if Iím tired from a previous day or a long swim, I just canít get the numbers I can if Iím well rested.
The mental toughness also carries over into many aspects of my life. Several times a week inside my head I hear Doug Chapman (Hyperfit Ann Arbor) mocking me with ďsuck it up buttercup!Ē And I might be at a boring morning briefing or dealing with a drunk (Iím a firefighter).

Anyway enjoy the rideÖ
bob
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
John Maloney

Profile:

Just keep at it & eventually you'll get there. It may take you 6 months, but so what? It took me that long & now I'm 2 years in. Still making great gains too. There's no finish line here, just new goals, accomplishments, & PR's!

Finally, consistency is much more important than volume. Your fitness (and capacity) will improve much more by working out 5 days a week scaled, than if you do 2-3 a week as rx'd. Don't cripple yourself with soreness. Scale, & shoot for a consistent 4-5 workouts a week.

Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Tom C. Schwab

Profile:

As a 45 year old former U.S. Marine, this is outstanding! I just recently started doing C.F. and absolutely love it...I am working a scaled and abbreviated W.O.D. due to a lower back injury, along with another new love, "Trail Running". In two months, I feel like I'm back in the Corps and loving every minute of it.
Any advice for those of us worried about certain movements, i.e. squats, dead lifts, etc, and having a lower back injury? I've been propping the bar (for clean and jerks) up a little off the floor, which helps a little bit. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C. Schwab View Post
As a 45 year old former U.S. Marine, this is outstanding! I just recently started doing C.F. and absolutely love it...I am working a scaled and abbreviated W.O.D. due to a lower back injury, along with another new love, "Trail Running". In two months, I feel like I'm back in the Corps and loving every minute of it.
Any advice for those of us worried about certain movements, i.e. squats, dead lifts, etc, and having a lower back injury? I've been propping the bar (for clean and jerks) up a little off the floor, which helps a little bit. Thanks again!!!
For those with back injuries, just go slow, keep your form in check and work your way up in weight slowly. I have had lumbar fusion in my L5 S1 and have two more bulging disks in my back, but have been able to work my way up to do most of the WODs as RX'd. My max deadlift right now is 295 lbs. I am 30, weigh 160 and am 5' 6". So, keep at it and the back takes care of itself!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

dont worry it will make you stronger FAST
Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Tom C. Schwab

Profile:

Thanks big time for the encouragement...today is my rest day and tomorrow is 9 miles on the trails...thanks again and I'll start with the lower weights to get the movement down first.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Geoff Spakes

Profile:

Yea, I'm with you on this Andy. I thought I was in pretty decent shape, and really I was, but that doesn't even compare to being in CrossFit shape. It's great, exciting and addicting all in one. I'm always eagerly awaiting my next workout.