CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Brock Cochran

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crawford View Post
I don't have a tatoo yet, but I'm very hesitant to get ANYTHING. I think to myself, "when I'm 50, will I still like this art?"
I always laugh when I see guys/girls who get stuff that is totally applicable when they're 18-21 and single, and have NO foresight into how that tattoo will apply when they're 40 with kids or something. When I got my first tattoo, the artist had just got off the phone with a girl who wanted to cover up a tattoo she had gotten on the small of her back that said "Lickable". Who does that!?!?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Cochran View Post
I always laugh when I see guys/girls who get stuff that is totally applicable when they're 18-21 and single, and have NO foresight into how that tattoo will apply when they're 40 with kids or something. When I got my first tattoo, the artist had just got off the phone with a girl who wanted to cover up a tattoo she had gotten on the small of her back that said "Lickable". Who does that!?!?
Met a girl who had a fish on her stomach, looked good, then she got pregnant. Then she had a blow-fish.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Some of the best advice I ever got was to draw a picture of what you want as a tattoo and tape it to the corner of your bathroom mirror. If, after a year of looking at it every day, you're still not sick of it, go get it done.

I've had 3 different pictures taped to mirrors over the last 25 years and none of them made it to the 365th day.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Matt Rodgers

Profile:

Dont know if I would ever get a tattoo that said "CrossFit".
But as for liking it when you age...
As long as it is not something ridiculous, you can view it as a memory, or stage in your life.
I got two when I was 17, and one a year ago that will eventually be part of a sleeve.
They may not be "cool" when I am older, but I will look back fondly.
also, when you are 70, who cares?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rodgers View Post
As long as it is not something ridiculous, you can view it as a memory, or stage in your life.
I got two when I was 17, and one a year ago that will eventually be part of a sleeve.
Agreed. I've had my 2 tattoos for over ten years now and still don't mind them. But I've had each of them added on to since my arms/shoulders are twice the size they were when I got the originals. I don't really care what others think of them. Some people think tribals are stupid. So what. I think most other peoples tattoos are stupid too. Tramp stamps, colored tattoos, dolphins, really small tattoos, butterflys, your kids names, whatever, none of them are really that unique anymore anyway. And nobody thinks you are awesome because of a tattoo.

Once I saw a guy with a tattoo on his neck, in plain view, that said "**** what you think". I believe he meant that.

When I was getting one of them redone another young girl was in there. My wife said, aren't you worried what that's going to look like in 50 years. She said, by then I'll be old and wrinkly anyway, so who cares. But yeah, at least with something like a tribal I'm not sporting a muppet baby on my arm at 30 like some folks.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Brock Cochran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rodgers View Post
Very true. I have a couple I'd like to think represent certain times in my life. And when you're 70 I doubt anyone would care lol
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Brent Eno

Profile:

The only tattoo that I have ever seen that I liked is Speal's. It says "I am not ashamed to fail." I don't think you would regret getting a tattoo of an important personal philosophy or belief, but permanently etching 'Crossfit" or a huge Millennium Falcon onto your arm(my 21 year old niece) is probably not the best idea.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
Ian Peek

Profile:

Do you have to pay HQ money IAW policy to use the "CrossFit" name on your body?

(IAW = in accordance with)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Tobias Gohrbandt

Profile:

I may not, when I'm 70, like my tattoo, but I have no guarantee that I'll like my face at that age either. /shrugs/ My tat is a part of me, it's just a part I had a major influence in deciding how it looks.

The two kanji on my back, which are part of the tattoo, do stand for something I think is important in life. On the other hand, the octopus sitting on my shoulder doesn't really mean anything. I'm happy with both.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
The only tattoo that I have ever seen that I liked is Speal's. It says "I am not ashamed to fail." I don't think you would regret getting a tattoo of an important personal philosophy or belief, but permanently etching 'Crossfit" or a huge Millennium Falcon onto your arm(my 21 year old niece) is probably not the best idea.
Both of my tattoos are something that mean something to me instead of being an image. I'm going to be fine with them when I'm 90.
IF I get an image, it's going to be a phoenix...for reasons I won't go into. And that one, when I get it, is going to be something I'm happy with. I won't get them if I even remotely think I'll regret them.