CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Noah Martin

Profile:
Jerky Makers out there...

So I just made my first batch of homemade jerky. I used a convection oven with the lowest setting at about 170 with the oven door cracked open and the jerky was in 3 hours. Needless to say, it's jerky but almost too dry.

So 2 hours would have been the sweet spot but that doesnt seem like a long time? Considering most stuff I've read suggested 4-8-10-12 hours.

Does this sound right? It's 100% jerky and possibly a few bases are almost cooked instead of dried, but anyways, it's mighty delicious and I know I'll be making more.

So a few questions.
1) Anyone else using the oven method - can you share experiences in terms of temp, tips, tricks and time

2) favorite marinades? I made two. One was Alton Browns and the other was a friends. I did put brown sugar in one but would prefer to go no sugar on the next batch.

3) cuts of meat? I used brisket which was still about $7 bucks a pound. I got two pounds which yielded just under 1 pound of jerky.

4) Paleo kits count 1oz jerky as 1 block protein? Do you?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Daniel Dean

Profile:
Re: Jerky Makers out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
So a few questions.
1) Anyone else using the oven method - can you share experiences in terms of temp, tips, tricks and time

2) favorite marinades? I made two. One was Alton Browns and the other was a friends. I did put brown sugar in one but would prefer to go no sugar on the next batch.

3) cuts of meat? I used brisket which was still about $7 bucks a pound. I got two pounds which yielded just under 1 pound of jerky.

4) Paleo kits count 1oz jerky as 1 block protein? Do you?

Thanks
1.) I have tried both the oven and AB's box fan method. Box fan owns the oven for taste and texture. It's slower, but I just set it up at night and wake up the next morning to jerky.

2.) Haven't experimented much yet here.

3.) Flank steak is good, but can be little fatty. My favorite so far is London Broil, usually $4-5/lb and very lean. Costco all the way for meat.

4.) No comment, don't Zone.

I also bought a bunch of those little desiccant packets so that I could store it in ziploc bags.
http://www.delvancollectibles.com/Si...cket_p_46.html (wfs)

Last edited by Daniel Dean : 08-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
1.) I have tried both the oven and AB's box fan method. Box fan owns the oven for taste and texture. It's slower, but I just set it up at night and wake up the next morning to jerky.

2.) Haven't experimented much yet here.

3.) Flank steak is good, but can be little fatty. My favorite so far is London Broil, usually $4-5/lb. Costco all the way for meat.

4.) No comment, don't Zone.

I also bought a bunch of those little desiccant packets so that I could store it in ziploc bags.
http://www.delvancollectibles.com/Si...cket_p_46.html (wfs)
The box fan method is interesting but its cold air right - I mean isnt there some possible safety issues there?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

can y'all share your marinade recipes? i've been struggling to find ones without soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.

The last couple of iterations haven't been salty at all, and it's frustrating.

i don't mind honey or brown sugar, but i'm trying to avoid soy/vinegar/HFCS.

i'd love the secret to the paleo kits marinade. steve??? where you at?!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Yep, cold air. That's the beauty of it, all drying with no cooking.

Dehydration kills microbes plenty good, add in the salt in the marinade and it's pretty much a microbial death zone. If you get it dry enough that it looks and feels like any other jerky you are fine. After a test run I made about 4lbs of meat worth and have been eating the crap out of it for over a month, no issues.

It may be a little more prone to reabsorbing some moisture from the air if you live in a humid climate, but I am purely speculating here. Even if that is the case, store it with the desiccant packets and it will be fine.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
can y'all share your marinade recipes? i've been struggling to find ones without soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.

The last couple of iterations haven't been salty at all, and it's frustrating.

i don't mind honey or brown sugar, but i'm trying to avoid soy/vinegar/HFCS.

i'd love the secret to the paleo kits marinade. steve??? where you at?!
My marinade is heavy on soy sauce and worcestershire, but if you really want to avoid them I would suggest figuring out what the total salt content is of a recipe that uses them as the base and then add the equivalent amount of salt to whatever flavorful liquid you are using as a marinade.

For the sake of easy math let's say a marinade uses 1 cup of soy sauce and one cup of worcestershire. Each will have X and Y grams of salt per tablespoon, respectively, so:

(X grams/tbs*16 tbs/cup)+(Y grams/tbs*16tbs/cup) = total grams salt. Weigh it out (or convert to a volume if you don't have a scale) and dissolve into your marinade.

The salt is pretty crucial to long-term preservation so you definitely want to have enough.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Noah Martin

Profile:

Here are the two I made ,both have soya sauce

1/2 c Red wine vinegar
* 1/2 c Brown sugar
* 1 ts Garlic powder
* 1/4 c Soy sauce
* 2 ts Salt
* 1/4 ts Ground ginger or fresh (double this up for more flavor)
* 3 lb Lean meat, cut in strips
* 3/4 c Pineapple juice

From Alton Brown (more traditional) -
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html WFS
* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
* 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 2/3 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
Yep, cold air. That's the beauty of it, all drying with no cooking.

Dehydration kills microbes plenty good, add in the salt in the marinade and it's pretty much a microbial death zone. If you get it dry enough that it looks and feels like any other jerky you are fine. After a test run I made about 4lbs of meat worth and have been eating the crap out of it for over a month, no issues.

It may be a little more prone to reabsorbing some moisture from the air if you live in a humid climate, but I am purely speculating here. Even if that is the case, store it with the desiccant packets and it will be fine.
I am still a little hesitant to go out and buy a box fan and the filters but it looks so easy.

What box fan are you using? Can you reuse the filters? Do you do this in your house? Does it stink up the house?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
I am still a little hesitant to go out and buy a box fan and the filters but it looks so easy.

What box fan are you using? Can you reuse the filters? Do you do this in your house? Does it stink up the house?
I already had this fan, plenty of power and it rotates to totally horizontal which makes stacking the filters super easy. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ci_sku=4756123 (wfs)

I have reused the filters once so far and see no reason not keep resuing them for at least several more batches. You should be patting all the meat dry before you start anyway so there should be little to no excess marinade left to soak into the filters. Even if some does, who cares? It is going to get dried out well before the meat is done anyway. I couldn't find the style filters he used on the show for less than $5, so I got the thin blue ones that were $2.50/four-pack and they worked fine, I just used some little balls of foil to keep the layers separated.

I did it in the house and yes, it makes the house smell like jerky. But is that a bad thing? Not to me
Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

anyone making jerky with turkey or chicken?

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)