CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #901
Will Feber

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I used to throw in 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps of weighted dips at the end of every press day.
Any reason why 3-4 and not just 2 sets, like mentioned in the book? Just to get more volume?

Why dips only after pressing and incline bench after bench? Is the point to do an assistance movement that is in some way similar to the main one?

Also going to start power cleans as a warmup for deadlifts. Whats the recommendation here? Start of with 20kg plates and then in 6 or 7 increments with singles go up to failure? or is going to failure here a bad idea and can just screw up the deadlift?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #902
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Also going to start power cleans as a warmup for deadlifts. Whats the recommendation here? Start of with 20kg plates and then in 6 or 7 increments with singles go up to failure? or is going to failure here a bad idea and can just screw up the deadlift?
Power cleans before a deadlift serve as a warm up. Don't take them to failure. My recommendation is to use about 40% of your work set weight (which is a pretty standard initial warm up weight for DLs) for your cleans and to do 1 rep every minute on the minute (EMOM) for ten minutes. That will give you ten reps, allow you to warm up for the DL without taxing yourself, and it will let you set up for each rep individually without messing up your form trying to do multiple reps in a row.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #903
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Any reason why 3-4 and not just 2 sets, like mentioned in the book? Just to get more volume?

Why dips only after pressing and incline bench after bench? Is the point to do an assistance movement that is in some way similar to the main one?

There's no magic number on sets, I just did whatever I felt like doing on a given day. You won't get undertrained if you do 2 sets of dips, and you won't get overtrained if you do 4. You could do dips after both bench and press days if you want, it doesn't really matter.

Adam's advice on power cleans is good. You can treat them almost like a linear progression from week to week...i.e. if my power clean 1RM is 100kg, then I do 8-10 reps EMOM at 80kg. Next week I go up to 82kg, then 84kg, etc. and before long you'll be throwing your old 1RM around pretty easily.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #904
Will Feber

Profile:

Thanks guys!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #905
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
stalled at power cleans

Hi Guys,

I also had a question about the power cleans but maybe Adam and Eric already answered it.

So here's how I incorporate them-prior DL I usually do 3 light sets of PC, then 4-5 heavy sets(with increasing weight by 5 kg increments)and my last set of PC is actually my last 1RM which I try to break every week.
All was going perfect and I went from 70kg(154lbs) to 102.5kg(225lbs) in my last set of PC.
But then I stalled and for the last 2 months I always fail at 105kg(231lbs). All my other lifts progressing, last deadlift for example was 166kg(365)x7 @85kg(187lbs)BW so I'm really frustrated about that PC.
I know that I have the strength and I fail partly because of mental block and partly because of bad technique but I definately need to change the approach.

So do you recommend to use the EMOM scheme @40-60% of my 1RM with the weight increasing workout to workout or should I do something else?

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #906
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: stalled at power cleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Demirev View Post
Hi Guys,

I also had a question about the power cleans but maybe Adam and Eric already answered it.

So here's how I incorporate them-prior DL I usually do 3 light sets of PC, then 4-5 heavy sets(with increasing weight by 5 kg increments)and my last set of PC is actually my last 1RM which I try to break every week.
All was going perfect and I went from 70kg(154lbs) to 102.5kg(225lbs) in my last set of PC.
But then I stalled and for the last 2 months I always fail at 105kg(231lbs). All my other lifts progressing, last deadlift for example was 166kg(365)x7 @85kg(187lbs)BW so I'm really frustrated about that PC.
I know that I have the strength and I fail partly because of mental block and partly because of bad technique but I definately need to change the approach.

So do you recommend to use the EMOM scheme @40-60% of my 1RM with the weight increasing workout to workout or should I do something else?

Thanks,
Vlad
Let me start out by saying that I'm not an expert in the Oly lifts and their derivatives, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

First, congrats on getting your PC up!

Looking at your bodyweight (85 kg) and your DL numbers (166x7), it sounds like your PC has gotten to the point where it is actually a challenging weight in terms of strength and power. Not saying that it can't/won't grow more, but rather that since it is so much heavier now and a higher percentage of your DL, technique is going to be all that more important. At lighter weights, you can force a PC through even with bad tech because it is such a small % of what you're really capable of. Now that it is a more challenging weight, small differences in tech (how you're doing your second pull, how well you can maintain the front rack, how aggressive you are, etc.) can easily make the difference between making the lift and missing the lift.

A couple of ideas that I have for you*:

1) do EMOM singles for 10 minutes, maybe more. Maybe keep the % higher than 40~60 so that it is challenging, but not so high that you can't keep the EMOM pace.

2) switch over to hang power cleans for a while to really focus on the second pull and become more confident that you have the power to pull hard

*) you need to be aware of how your PC sessions affect your DL. Building a strong PC is a great thing, but right now you need to decide what the bigger priority is: building the PC or your DL. My personal (and therefore, totally subjective) recommendation is that you focus on the DL and keep the PC work slowly moving along. If your DL goes up, your potential capacity for a bigger PC will also increase by virtue of the fact that you are getting stronger.

Hope that helps, and if I'm wrong, hopefully Eric can clear things up!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #907
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, I haven't done GSLP for about a month because our gym was renovating and didn't have the extra space and I was also preparing for a competition and wanted to get in a little more metcon work. Anyway, I'm about to start back again but had a question.

I want to do more regular classes at the gym, and we have a strength portion before every WOD but I want a more strict, measurable routine like GSLP.

I would like to WOD M/W/Th/Sat for sure. Fridays I can't get there early enough and Tuesday is always a cardio day w either running, rowing or airdyne which I don't mind missing. So, I was thinking of doing GSLP on Tuesday and Thursday for sure. On Thursday I can get there at 6, do GSLP, then jump into the 7:30 class later.

I would have time to come in on Friday to press and squat if I wanted. Would it be bad to do GSLP Thursday and Friday? Or would I be better off only doing it twice a week?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #908
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Re: stalled at power cleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Let me start out by saying that I'm not an expert in the Oly lifts and their derivatives, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

First, congrats on getting your PC up!

Looking at your bodyweight (85 kg) and your DL numbers (166x7), it sounds like your PC has gotten to the point where it is actually a challenging weight in terms of strength and power. Not saying that it can't/won't grow more, but rather that since it is so much heavier now and a higher percentage of your DL, technique is going to be all that more important. At lighter weights, you can force a PC through even with bad tech because it is such a small % of what you're really capable of. Now that it is a more challenging weight, small differences in tech (how you're doing your second pull, how well you can maintain the front rack, how aggressive you are, etc.) can easily make the difference between making the lift and missing the lift.

A couple of ideas that I have for you*:

1) do EMOM singles for 10 minutes, maybe more. Maybe keep the % higher than 40~60 so that it is challenging, but not so high that you can't keep the EMOM pace.

2) switch over to hang power cleans for a while to really focus on the second pull and become more confident that you have the power to pull hard

*) you need to be aware of how your PC sessions affect your DL. Building a strong PC is a great thing, but right now you need to decide what the bigger priority is: building the PC or your DL. My personal (and therefore, totally subjective) recommendation is that you focus on the DL and keep the PC work slowly moving along. If your DL goes up, your potential capacity for a bigger PC will also increase by virtue of the fact that you are getting stronger.

Hope that helps, and if I'm wrong, hopefully Eric can clear things up!
Thanks Adam,

Your recommendation sounds pretty reasonable.
I'll start with EMOM singles @80%-85%(guess, I'll have to play with that a little) and increase the weight by 2.5kg every week. Once I stall, I'll switch to HPC.
I am definately more focused towards building a strong deadlift so I don't mind slow progress on the PC (as long as there is progress).

Actually my goals until the end of the year are to reach the "magic" numbers 200,300,400,500.
I haven't done any 1RM attempts since I started GSLP 6 months ago but my current numbers in the AMRAP sets are:
-Press 145x6
-Bench 221x8
-Squat 304 x6
-DL 365 x7

So I'm pretty confident I'll be able to hit those for singles by the end of the year.

Vlad
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #909
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There's no magic number on sets, I just did whatever I felt like doing on a given day. You won't get undertrained if you do 2 sets of dips, and you won't get overtrained if you do 4. You could do dips after both bench and press days if you want, it doesn't really matter.
Is there any other way to emphasis upper body strength more at the price of slower gains when it comes to squatting and deadlifting? More than bench pressing/pressing and assistance work 3 times a week is probably not productive, right?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #910
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I think the program already emphasizes pressing strength enough, given that you're doing an upper body press 3x per week compared to 2x squatting and 1x deadlifting. Any more is likely to be detrimental.