CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #441
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Could use some help in building my program add-ins.

I read GSLP 2nd Edition last week...now thumbing back through. My goal is to gain strength w/o completely losing the metabolic gains I've made over last 1.5 yrs doing CF. My main focus will be on upper body as it is very weak compared to my lower body...truly pathetic. I ultimately hope to return to WOD's in about 3 months and see from there. May end up 3 months GSLP, 3 month WOD's. Who knows...will ultimately depend on how GSLP goes and if my goals shift in 3 months based on results.

The M, W, Fri should work for me. I'm looking at pretty much adding curls and neck harness to these. Basically his "Mass Gain Base" from the book w/the exception of using a flat bench. On top of that, I'm not sure.

I have an hour on M, W, and Fri in the gym - unfortunately time is tight. So, what would be best to layer in here? I have a pull up bar at home and don't mind buying a couple things if needed. With chins, etc I would need to do the ladder method based on time restrictions. I need to keep it simple, as I have no history of working w/weights (or anything workout related) outside of CrossFit. That's probably what attracted me the most about GSLP...it makes it a little easier for us slow learner noobs out there.

If you've got a program that looks good based on my info and don't mind sharing it, great! I'll take it. Otherwise, some good input/direction is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #442
Dan Thomas

Profile:

I'm curious to know if anyone is doing the neck harness work. If you are, how is it working and what harness did you get?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #443
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I got this one (WFS) and it works fine and has held up alright. I usually do 3-4 sets once or twice a week. I'll start with a weight that I can do for 3-4 sets of 25 reps then add 5 reps per set each workout til I hit 50, then increase by 5-10lbs and drop back to 25 reps and build back up. Start very light at first though, the first few times you use it you'll wake up pretty sore if you overdo it on weight or volume.

It's a great addition if you want a thicker neck and traps or if you play a contact sport. If those things don't apply to you, or if you don't want to have to buy new dress shirts, there's no real need to do them.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #444
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I do them once a week for 3 sets of 25

As a guy who wears dress shirts I'm not wanting to replace 20 of them
Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #445
Christopher Boyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone is doing the neck harness work. If you are, how is it working and what harness did you get?
I went from a 15.5'' neck to a 17.5'' neck during my deployment. I took a two month break, but I'm still repping 45# x 25 reps x 4. It definitely builds your traps. I did it to strengthen my neck for all the awkward ways the Army loads me down. Working out pretty well.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #446
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Boyer View Post
I went from a 15.5'' neck to a 17.5'' neck during my deployment. I took a two month break, but I'm still repping 45# x 25 reps x 4. It definitely builds your traps. I did it to strengthen my neck for all the awkward ways the Army loads me down. Working out pretty well.
we got up to 55lbs 4x25 and i only put about a half an inch on my neck. definately got stronger, but didnt really get bigger
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #447
John Wallace

Profile:

I just started GSLP last week and have been slowly making my way through the ebook. I don't have a lot of time with work and school right now so I haven't been able to really sit down and read it in it entirety. I have a couple of quick questions.

If I want to do metcons, when would the best time to do them? (I am lifting monday, wednesday and friday)

Would it be ok to do a push up and sit up ladder in the morning. Do one push up then one sit up then two push ups... I did not see it in the second addition only for pull ups frequency and ladder that it talked about the amount of reps you are doing. What is a good way to determine the most effect amount of reps for my ladder for push ups and sit ups?

I don't have access to a bar through the day, would it be ok to do a pull up ladder before lifting as part of a warm up?

thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #448
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

In your situation I would do two metcons a week, one after Wednesday's lifting and one on Saturday. Pushup or situps can be done as ladders or with FM in the morning a few days per week. Reps per set will be based on how many you can currently do. I don't know what he recommends for ladders, but for FM he typically recommends about 50% of your max set.

Pullups during warmups are fine, I used to do them that way...do one set, do some mobility stuff, do another set, jump rope for a bit, do another set, more mobility, then move into my lifting. Then another set or two after I was done.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #449
Dan Thomas

Profile:

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone can do a metcon after an all out deadlift set. My body is absolutely, 100% toast. Maybe I'm a wimp but all I want to do after deadlifts is collapse.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #450
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Two options then--either give yourself 15 minutes to recover before doing your conditioning, or leave 1 rep in the tank so you're not taking things to complete failure. JP and Wendler both recommend stopping slightly short of failure for their AMRAP sets.