CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
I have heard many people here speak about the benefits of sleeping in a TOTALLY dark room. Can one achieve the same benefits from sleeping in a fairly dark room, while wearing a sleeping mask that covers the eyes? I don't see why not, but I have not read any of the books on this subject...
Old 08-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Travis,

I think this is brought up in Lights Out. The authors mention that your approach won't work because, even though your eyes are covered, your skin may still be exposed and is apparently sensitive enough to even low levels of light that this could negatively effect optimal hormone production. If I remember right, they said that the skin was sensitive enough to detect the light of a single candle in an otherwise completely dark room, or something like that. Perhaps their reasoning suggests that keeping yourself completely covered (like sleeping under the covers the whole night) may prove of some benefit.

Hope this helps,

Ryan Atkins
Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
John de la Garza

Profile:
In my personal expierience (I have a mask by my bed and use it sometimes), it makes alll the difference in the world to me.

When I wake up without it, I sense that it is late. When I have it on and wake up, I sense that it is still early and am surprised when I take it off. My body seems to have no clue that it is light when I wear the mask.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I've tried a mask and I just can't stand em. Having the thing on my face is uncomfortable to me and I have trouble sleeping, so it won't work for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
Thanks for the responses. I will have to read "Lights Out" eventually. First, though, I'll probably give this sleeping mask idea a try, and see if I can notice any benefits. Take care.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
By the way, I am sure that this is addressed in the book, but didn't man evolve sleeping under the bright stars, the moon, and on occasion near a camp fire? Or did they sleep in completely dark caves? Or does evolution not apply to this theory? Like I said, I will read the book myself sometime soon, but if any one cares to answer now, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Travis,

I don't remember how the authors address the issue of if man slept outside frequently or not. I have the feeling they lean towards the dark cave argument, but the reasons escape me (protection from predators?).

I do remember that the authors cite sitting around the campfire as the first of many steps that man took that eventually led to a situation that wrecks havok on his natural cycles. As a friend of mine is fond of pointing out, the authors are, in a sense attacking the concept of fire (and here I thought writers were being radical when they attacked concepts such as civilization or agriculture).

Enjoy the book,

Ryan
Old 08-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think the mask is helpful, I am cheap and use the sleeve of one of my tshirts! The book "Lights Out"
is essential reading IMO.
Robb
Old 08-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

I have a mask that I use. It makes a huge difference to me, I'd recommend it to anyone. It makes daytime naps so much easier and more effective.