CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #31
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: Neck injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Ricci View Post
Disc degeneration -a normal aging process. Why are only the damaged segments affected ( a genetic timebomb maybe LOL) .
There are several that show wear and tear. It's just that C5-C6 is somewhat worse. No good explanation as to the reason. First ortho said it was clearly from concussions 25 years ago. Second ortho said there was no way to validly speculate about something like that.

Quote:
I will give you a biased opinion from a DC and a good friend (Neurosurgeon) -don't get surgery unless you have tried everything and have nerve damage developing (weakness) .
Seems reasonable. I asked him about surgery options to get a handle on the fallback plan if things do start going downhill.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 07-15-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Well, i certainly don't think my issues are as bad as Brad, Greg or some of the other posters here. A brief summary: Neck 'stiffness' started 6 months ago. Pain started 5 months ago. X-ray & MRI showed mild straightening only and ortho said "mild age related degeneration". PT said 'never' do anything overhead...LOL!

The pain is about 70% of what is was a few months ago... so it is much better. I've returned to most, but not all overhead work at extremely light weights.

The pain now seems to have settled mostly in my right SCM. It spreads to my traps, pecs, arms, down to wrists whenever I try to do anything heavy upper body. My right armpit still turns numb when i do too much as well. I have been massaging the SCM and it is SCREAMING sore (even after 1 week totally off from exercise recently). And, I feel extremely weak...my push-up, pull-up, press, bench, etc... numbers are way down from where they were before all this started. Push-ups seem the be the worst! Bench & Press are coming along very slowly. I was never very strong...but before this i was able to do 5 military push-ups...now my neck starts screaming after 5 knee push-ups!

Any suggestions on what i can do to get that SCM to calm down?

Last edited by Helen Lawson; 08-08-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
Steven Low

Profile:

Go to a good ART person...

SCM can be variable... if there's problems there there's also likely other problems with other muscles in your neck too.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #34
Steven Low

Profile:

Go to a good ART person.

If there's problems in your SCM it's likely that there's other hotspots in toher mucsles in your neck too. Especially your scalenes which is probably why you're getting numbness in brachial plexus area.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #35
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Go to a good ART person.

If there's problems in your SCM it's likely that there's other hotspots in toher mucsles in your neck too. Especially your scalenes which is probably why you're getting numbness in brachial plexus area.

Thanks Steven.

I've tried traditional methods of chiropractic, massage, Physical Therapy, orthopedic, X-rays, MRI and even the full 10 sessions of Rolfing. To no avail (or at least all of very little help). I finally went to the 1 and only Active Release Technique (ART) provider in the area (45 minutes from me). The session was quite painful (as i would expect) and left me more sore today but hopefully it will be the right thing long term.

He agreed with my assessment that the entire thing started with a knot under 1 of my shoulder blades that nobody has been able to get out. He said it is mostly the erectors & levator scapulae that are wicked tight & knotted up. Of course they are pulling on the scm, scalenes & traps (on both sides)....and affecting the brachial plexus all the way down to my fingers on the same side.

I'll give you all my assessment of the Active Release Technique (ART) after a few more sessions.

Helen
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #36
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds good to me...