CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
David Reynolds

Profile:
Re: Neck injury

Hey, i experience minor to moderate neck pain at least a few days a week. I do lots of ohs, deads, and snatches. The pain is dull and radiates towards my shoulders. Feels like inflammation. Especially after a heavy dead or snatch day. I love these movements, iam 32 and hope i will be able to continue to do them. I have tried massage thereapy, trigger point, shoulder stretches, foam rolling, yeh this stuff feels good, aids in healing but pain seems to come on back. When i turn my head or roll it from side to side i have crunchy sounds only audible to my ears, kinda weird
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If your chiro and PT both aren't doing much.... and it's really the massage that are helping you really need to find a new health professionals to work with.

The fact that the massage helps, at least temporarily, shows there is a problem that can be fixed for the most part. You just need a professional who can DO that. Also, the fact that your MRI shows only a little age related degeneration means it likely is a soft tissue problem that CAN be fixed.

I don't know how much your exercise is playing a role in actually helping or hurting, but it may be a good idea to take a break from that for a while and see if it improves. At least, get your form checked or something as well. Improper head positioning in a lot of exercises like squats/DL/pullups/etc. can mess with your spinal nerves and/or muscles.

As I said, if your professionals SUCK then get new ones. No need to keep busting your butt going to people who aren't helping you. Hell, if I was your therapist and I wasn't able to help you effectively I'd try to refer you to someone else who can.
Thanks Steven. I took about 3 weeks almost totally off from exercise when it started. Hopefully that was enough rest. For now I'll stick with massage as it seems to be getting better and i have LMTs I trust. If it doesn't get better soon then i'll go searching for better Ortho & PTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Sometimes, an activity really is over. That's life. (crossing my fingers that's not the case for anybody here, or for me)
oh god! I certainly hope not...not for any of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
I forgot to type something else that might be helpful or informative at least. I asked Mark Rippetoe about this after my first MD appt. He recommended to keep lifting and use chiropractic care to try and help keep the disc as happy as possible. However, he did say that discs don't get better and it is likely that the disc will go downhill and require fusion at some point even with chiropractic care.
However, I'm with you on this....I don't think i would continue if this were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reynolds View Post
Hey, i experience minor to moderate neck pain at least a few days a week. I do lots of ohs, deads, and snatches. The pain is dull and radiates towards my shoulders. Feels like inflammation. Especially after a heavy dead or snatch day. I love these movements, iam 32 and hope i will be able to continue to do them. I have tried massage thereapy, trigger point, shoulder stretches, foam rolling, yeh this stuff feels good, aids in healing but pain seems to come on back. When i turn my head or roll it from side to side i have crunchy sounds only audible to my ears, kinda weird
Have you tried all the neck & trap stretches several times daily? At first I also had those weird crunchy noises, but they are gone now for the most part....I've been spending about a total of 20-30 minutes a day (spread out) stretching neck & traps. Took about 2 weeks of this stretching for the pain to start to subside...I'm still waiting for it to totally go away.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Lisa Nelson

Profile:

I would also love to get some input from folks with similar injuries. My background is in rock climbing...for 20+years. I'm 44 and have been doing crossfit for about two years, although I haven't done a non modified work out in 6 months. Last Feb, during ice climbing season I started to experience what I thought were rotator cuff injury/impingement syndrom symptoms. They got progressively worse and now I have really bad elbow tendinitis. I have done Astem, Accupuncture and Rolfing work....lots of massage, ice and rest. ALso, mega good quality fish oil and Zyflamend. Nothing was helping. About a week ago, at the request of my practitioner I got an ex-ray on my neck. The disc between C5 and C6 appears to be gone and there are many bone spurs between the two disks. The Dr. said it was bone on bone. I had chiro done for the first time last week and felt immediate relief, but it only lasted a day or so. If I understand it correctly, the nerves that attach to those vert. are really inflamed, that causes the muscle imbalance and has a trickle down affect to the rest of my arm.
I'm trying to figure out what aggravates it, as it sometimes hurts hours or days later. I know that belaying (when i have to crane my neck upward to look at my partner) is bad. I also think biking hurts it. I'm have no idea what type of crossfit stuff hurts it. I can live w/o CF, but climbing is my life.
I think at this point, I'm going to try more chiro and traction. Massage to release the tight muscles. Maybe NSAIDS...but I was trying to stay away from those.
Also, I'm wondering will the bone eventually fuse itself at some point?
Thanks, Lisa
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Nelson View Post
I would also love to get some input from folks with similar injuries. My background is in rock climbing...for 20+years. I'm 44 and have been doing crossfit for about two years, although I haven't done a non modified work out in 6 months. Last Feb, during ice climbing season I started to experience what I thought were rotator cuff injury/impingement syndrom symptoms. They got progressively worse and now I have really bad elbow tendinitis. I have done Astem, Accupuncture and Rolfing work....lots of massage, ice and rest. ALso, mega good quality fish oil and Zyflamend. Nothing was helping. About a week ago, at the request of my practitioner I got an ex-ray on my neck. The disc between C5 and C6 appears to be gone and there are many bone spurs between the two disks. The Dr. said it was bone on bone. I had chiro done for the first time last week and felt immediate relief, but it only lasted a day or so. If I understand it correctly, the nerves that attach to those vert. are really inflamed, that causes the muscle imbalance and has a trickle down affect to the rest of my arm.
I'm trying to figure out what aggravates it, as it sometimes hurts hours or days later. I know that belaying (when i have to crane my neck upward to look at my partner) is bad. I also think biking hurts it. I'm have no idea what type of crossfit stuff hurts it. I can live w/o CF, but climbing is my life.
I think at this point, I'm going to try more chiro and traction. Massage to release the tight muscles. Maybe NSAIDS...but I was trying to stay away from those.
Also, I'm wondering will the bone eventually fuse itself at some point?
Thanks, Lisa
Lisa, What did your doctor tell you to do about it? Did they suggest physical therapy? Or surgery?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Lisa Nelson

Profile:

I found out the day before I was moving out of town....so I didn't have a lot of time to visit with my Dr. Anyway, he suggested traction and chiro...not surgery, but he's a alternative Dr. and probably would only recommend surgery as a last option.
I wonder if icing my neck would help and possibly wearing a collar. I'm going to try traction as well. I just don't really understand what aggravates it because the pain is delayed and is probably from the muscles being irritated and overused, not actual neck pain.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Nelson View Post
...Also, I'm wondering will the bone eventually fuse itself at some point?...
Don't think so. Seems more likely that bone spurs and disc material will press on nerves and cause numbness and maybe pain radiating all the way down to the fingers.

I'm a little suspicious of the idea that the disc is "gone." That doesn't sound right. I think I'd get someone else to look at it also. Was your guy an orthopedic surgeon? How can yours have gotten to the point of being bone-on-bone without some very serious discomfort from the disc being squished out all over the place and hitting lots of nerves? Also seems like you would've gotten shorter by a noticeable amount, LOL.

I actually have a story about this kind of thing. Back in HS, I had some x-rays done on my back. The general practitioner said that one of my lumbar discs was about 1/4 the thickness of the others and chalked it up to a birth defect. I was at an orthopedic surgeon about 4-5 months ago and he said that was bullcrap and the first guy just didn't interpret the images correctly. That disc is the same as the others.

BTW, my guess is that you have a decent chance at climbing. The problem movements seem to be ones that load the arms which load the traps and puts cervical discs in direct compression, and a lot of it. Stuff like deadifts and overhead press. During climbing, it seems like you're pulling the other direction. If you're cranking your neck, then maybe that will cause some issues, but it seems like that might be overcome, unlike in the case of DLs where I think it's probably checkmate or major surgery. (in which case it's probably still checkmate because the other discs nearby might be close behind and one can't just fuse all of them)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

If it's bone on bone you would not want to move your neck at all. Any movement hurts when it's like that.

I'd see a different doc... seems like good docs are harder to find nowadays heh
Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Lisa Nelson

Profile:

Ya. I kind of wondered how the disc could be gone....also wondered if an x-ray was a reliable way to diagnose. maybe it just didn't show up on the x-ray. he said there were lot of bone spurs. i'm sure an mri or cat scan would be better. i'm sending for my med records and going to look for someone in flagstaff.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Lisa Nelson

Profile:

Also, if I knew what movements to avoid in CF and life...that would be really helpful.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Lisa, def see a chiro or PT. I've been seeing a PT for 2 weeks now. He's certain that my neck pain is caused by poor thoracic mobility, combined with poor posture (I sit at a desk all day and tend to crane my neck forward. You should be tucking your chin back).

I've been working with him on strengthening specific back/neck muscles, as well as having him massage the sore points. I'm not 100%, but it definitely seems like the right track.

Just my 2 cents