CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Did you herniate a disc? Learn from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
How about this. In 3 years I'll be a PT and I say that valsalva is perfect legit.
That is if they let you through PT school with that kind of attitude.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
Brian Pressman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
that kind of advice is definitely 'get a new pt' territory............think about your abdominal cavity as a noncompressible cylinder; to stiffen the cylinder you need to have the bottom, the sides, and the top stiff so the contents are under pressure and the spine is stabilized, you can imagine which muscles fullfil those roles.

There are already a myriad of studies on this type of thing.....It's discussed in great detail in Mechanical Low Back Pain (wfs) by porterfield and Derosa
Any links to the studies? That book is 13 year old.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #23
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

What do you tell someone who gets lightheaded and almosts passes out because they are holding their breath? Don't deadlift, lift lighter?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
Any links to the studies? That book is 13 year old.
yea but it explains the basics better than any book I've seen.......It becomes clear when you study the interactions of the whole area, but the actual studies are very limited because they can't handle so many variables, and they're often done with pigs or some other dead animal. Not to discount them, but you have to assemble a lot of bits and pieces to make sense of it all.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lengel View Post
What do you tell someone who gets lightheaded and almosts passes out because they are holding their breath? Don't deadlift, lift lighter?
Let a little bit of air out before you pull.

It's not rare for people who completely fill their guts with air to pass out after/during their lifts. (See YouTube for some funny clips.)

That hissing sound before powerlifters/weightlifters start their pulls? That's when they let a bit of their air out.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #26
Bart Mitchell

Profile:

Hi Brian,
I actually did the same exact thing when I was 17 and ended up having surgery my senior year of high school which was 2003. God 7 years ago....I am getting old fast. I had the same hunched sideways look and severpain in my right leg to the point of having nerve damage. I went through therepy for 2 months then pain pills. Then eventually I had surgery even though all the rumors I heard were that it will come back to haunt me. I can honestly say that it was the best decision I have ever made. I have no problems and stronger and in better shape then I have ever been or was then, and alot more active also. I blame in on genetics, football, and bad deadlifting form. I thought I had a hammy pull for like a month. It was bad.
Thought I would share that.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #27
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pressman View Post
I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Holding your breath creates hypertension and how is that good?...
Nah, he's not wrong. Go over to Rippetoe's Q&A board and look it up or read about it in Starting Strength. Better yet, perhaps we could get some good comedy from Rip's reply if you try to make an argument to him about why holding one's breath during a heavy lift is a bad thing. Would probably not be WFS.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #28
Matt Fargen

Profile:

Found your thread. I'm at the point of trying to decide about surgery, having about 9 weeks of injury and inactivity so far. I am able to swim daily and actually do see progress (i.e. don't have to take as many pain killers, and walk faster and have quit using the cane).

The surgery is so effective and I know it would speed my recovery so am leaning more toward that, since I could be unable to walk freely and continuing to have severe afternoon pain, and excessive sleeping, for weeks or months otherwise.

Getting ESI #3 today. Thanks again for the information- very useful.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #29
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
How about this. In 3 years I'll be a PT and I say that valsalva is perfect legit.
To clarify this would be for people without heart conditions.

But yes, if you are normal and healthy valsalva is a very very very good idea to do if you're trying to keep your core stable during heavy lifting
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Matt Fargen

Profile:

On this topic, any idea why with the herniated disc, valsalva (sneezing, coughing, bearing down) HURTS LIKE HECK? I think that may be where the idea that valsalva could cause a herniated disc. I think the other general concern, from fitness club owners especially, is that someone will blow a cerebral aneurysm in the gym or something, if not faint as some other posters alluded to above. The gym I belong to, though, doesn't even have a life guard on duty at their lap pool. Don't seem too concerned about risk it would seem.

Matt