CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Back pain from deadlifts

I get back pain which sounds very close to this. It doesn't feel spine related at all but simply that the muscles get so tight and sore from keeping the lumbar engaged that it's hard to even keep going. This happens with high rep deads, kettle bell swings, even maybe burpees/rowing/etc.

I too have terrible hip/lower back flexibility and fail miserably on that test where you sit on the table with your lumbar engaged and try to extend your legs. When I reach down to grab a dead my lumbar doesn't look arched even though I'm engaging it like crazy. Perhaps that's what we all have in common?

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 03-15-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Mike Mallory

Profile:

It's safety mechanism, engage the prime movers as a last chance to 'save the back'

If that happens to your back, then why are you doing high intensity exercise? Same with hip/low back tightness.......Training like that is exacerbating the problem, not helping.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Mike Mallory

Profile:

not tryin' to berate anyone, but just sayin.....tightness now, herniated disc later
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
Ian Nigh

Profile:

... so how would yo work to avoid this?
strengthen the back with low rep good mornings and straight leg DLs?
Just forget about doing high rep DLs in WODS forever?
proactive advice is appreciated, I am sure!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I don't give a lot of pro-active information in these threads because it's VERY hard to be proactive when you don't have the person right in front of you.

People have these problems for very different reasons, and everyone is unique.

You can spend a whole career learning about these injuries........professional advice really can't be stressed enough.

Some generalities with almost every disc problem;

significant lifesylte stressors
poor nutrition
poor tissue tolerance
lack of local muscle control
overuse of global muscles
dehydration
overuse of high intensity exercise (huge since I've started working with crossfitters) movements are OK as long as speed is checked

The best thing you can do is see a professional to get a good assessment......then work on cleanign up diet and lifestyle by yourself.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

But isn't some lower back swelling/tightness/pain expected when doing some of these things? In Linda the other day I had to deadlift 250lbs 55 times. By no means was I doing these fast. I was basically down to singles or doubles after the first 5 rounds to ensure that my back could get rest before the next set, and ensure proper form.

What is your back supposed to feel like after deadlifting 1.5 x bw 55 times?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
David Rapp

Profile:

Fortunately, one of the women at my box just got her massage therapy degree and said she'd work with me, but she's in training for the CF Games right now - so I need to wait. I'll tell you what I find-out.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
Brad Davis

Profile:

Not trying to sound like a smarty, but some of these workouts make absolutely no sense to me. Deadlift 1.5xBW for 55 times: no thanks, and I'm a former competitive PLer (i.e. no wimp who's afraid of heavy DL). Serious low back injuries permanently change people's lives. They're not like knee or shoulder injuries, which are bad enough. I think if that WOD came up, I'd just sub another one in its place. But that's just one guy's opinion.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Not trying to sound like a smarty, but some of these workouts make absolutely no sense to me. Deadlift 1.5xBW for 55 times: no thanks, and I'm a former competitive PLer (i.e. no wimp who's afraid of heavy DL). Serious low back injuries permanently change people's lives. They're not like knee or shoulder injuries, which are bad enough. I think if that WOD came up, I'd just sub another one in its place. But that's just one guy's opinion.
I agree...sometimes. But often it's not until I try something that I find out whether it was a good idea or not. The other day I had a wod where I deadlifted 275 probably 30 times. It was broken up into sets of 3 per round and it turned out so elegantly designed that I had no issues and got a great workout. Every time I hit the bar I thought I wouldn't be able to get all three, but I did.

But when doing Linda the other day I was crushed by the deadlifts. I went with my buddy's bodyweight instead of mine (165 vs 190). So I was scaling it despite the fact that I knew I could do my weight. But then after scaling it the bench press was nothing, the cleans weren't bad, and the deadlift got to be terrible.

I want to pick weights that get me stronger, allow me to keep intensity, elicit the correct adaptation, etc. So some level of discomfort makes sense, but sometimes it's hard to say how much. Now I know on Linda that 250lbs was too much (took me 40 minutes).

Guess I might just need to be more consistent with lower back work so it's not such a shock to the system.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 03-17-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Brad Davis

Profile:

I understand. I've learned several painful lessons the same way, LOL.

I believe strongly in doing DL to create a strong back that's harder to injure, but doing it while fatigued doesn't pass my common sense meter. During strength workouts, the reps are low and form should be excellent or perfect. I even go as far as not going to my absolute max number during strength workouts and always leave one or two on the table.

Back injuries can be very, very bad, and can occur from subtle form imperfections on DL especially. I know people whose regular lives are trashed, much less their athletic lives, from disc injuries. They're lucky to go to work at all and I know ones who can't sit in a car for more than 10-15 min. There are so many cases in which the MDs just can't do much to help. No way I'm knowingly increasing my risk of ending up with a disc problem.

Just one guy's opinion. Be careful out there!