CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #51
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 and Crossfit questions from Wendler

Wouldn't it make more sense to do a linear progression for a novice and switch to 5-3-1 once the novice phase was over?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #52
David Meverden

Profile:

Glad to hear of your experiences with the program, Kelly. I think your workout log will be another good place to go for short, intense metcons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
It seems as though John is about the only person not to get it to work.
He didn't say it didn't work. He said that he had athletes on several different programs and the novice and intermediates on other programs did better.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stout View Post
Kelly -

1. How many days a week are you running the 5/3/1?
2. Are you doing any assistance work in addition to the 5/3/1 lifts and three metcons per week?

Thanks for any replies.
Hi David,

I'm doing 531 based on the squat, bench and deadlift, each done about once a week. As the deadlifts get heavier I give myself extra days rest if needed. I left out the overhead press day due to the short amount of time between the World meet and the invitation to compete at the Arnold; after the Arnold I will add in that day to allow more recovery time between deadlifts. I have my sights set on pulling eight plates off the floor before I'm 50 and I will need more recovery time....405 weighing less than 120 would be awesome!

My assistance work is something like this, but not set in stone:

Squats - 3x6 each: hip bridges, GHD raises, power jumper broad jumps
Bench - 3xAMRP: Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools), tuck planche or assisted planche pushups
Deadlift - 3xAMRP: Strict weighted pullups

Not many of the usual powerlifting assistance exercises, but I really enjoy the basic gymnastic work and it seems to get the job done.

Oh - and drinking lots of raw milk. Nearly a half gallon a day. Seems like I'm getting stronger and recovering much faster drinking the stuff!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #54
Matt Guingrich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to do a linear progression for a novice and switch to 5-3-1 once the novice phase was over?
Yes.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #55
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
How many waves of 5/3/1 have you done in this training cycle? The way I see it, if you implemented it like Jim says by starting light and doing high reps on the last lift of the day, you would need to have run it for quite a long time before you got to a point where you were actually doing 5 reps on the 5 day, 3 on the 3 day and 1 on the 1 day. That is what makes it not a peaking program.

And like Jay said, this is what everyone else is saying about 5/3/1. It seems as though John is about the only person not to get it to work.
Hi George,

531 is set up for long term training (I will continue using it after the meet as I think I have a long way to go before running into my limits). I didn't have much time to prepare between the World meet and the Arnold; I had not planned to compete again after the World meet. The invitation to the Arnold was a surprise and too big an honor not to answer.

I have always peaked far too early and fallen short on meet day. My body seems to work in very short cycles, about 4-5 week cycles so 531 looked perfect. I plugged in realistic goal numbers that I felt I could achieve in the time frame before the Arnold. I know if I had more time with 531 my numbers would be higher, but I simply do not have the time. This program gives me solid numbers to work with at a meet (I bench with a pause and dead stop deadlift meaning no touch and go or bouncing reps while training) and use no gear so the numbers are accurate.

I've tried to peak using other routines and never performed as well as I should at a meet. I would rather go into a competition strong and under performing a bit than burned out and failing lifts.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
yes indeed
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #57
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Hi David,

I'm doing 531 based on the squat, bench and deadlift, each done about once a week. As the deadlifts get heavier I give myself extra days rest if needed. I left out the overhead press day due to the short amount of time between the World meet and the invitation to compete at the Arnold; after the Arnold I will add in that day to allow more recovery time between deadlifts. I have my sights set on pulling eight plates off the floor before I'm 50 and I will need more recovery time....405 weighing less than 120 would be awesome!

My assistance work is something like this, but not set in stone:

Squats - 3x6 each: hip bridges, GHD raises, power jumper broad jumps
Bench - 3xAMRP: Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools), tuck planche or assisted planche pushups
Deadlift - 3xAMRP: Strict weighted pullups

Not many of the usual powerlifting assistance exercises, but I really enjoy the basic gymnastic work and it seems to get the job done.

Oh - and drinking lots of raw milk. Nearly a half gallon a day. Seems like I'm getting stronger and recovering much faster drinking the stuff!
Kelly -

Awesome. Great info.

Many thanks for the reply and best of luck with your training and competition season.

David
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #58
Brad Davis

Profile:

So Joshua, what's the status of the list of questions for Jim? Do you have the list together at this point or has it already been sent?

Just curious because I'm very interested in what he has to say. I've been more or less doing CFWF with 5/3/1 on the strength days after my SS:BBT-like linear progression stalled.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #59
Joshua Morgan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
So Joshua, what's the status of the list of questions for Jim? Do you have the list together at this point or has it already been sent?

Just curious because I'm very interested in what he has to say. I've been more or less doing CFWF with 5/3/1 on the strength days after my SS:BBT-like linear progression stalled.
My apologies. I was in Philadelphia for a 5 day soccer coaching conference/convention and spent a couple days in NYC just to check it out on the way back to Oklahoma. Sooo...I'm finally just getting all caught up from being out of town with work and whatnot.

I'll shoot him these questions or at least enough to get some good answers but not kill him with questions. He prob. won't see the email till Monday and it might take him a couple days to answer...depends on how busy it is for him.

He did have a quick response before I started this thread. "Circuits based on assistance/conditioning and programming with maximal strength being #1…that’s about it. Nothing that complicated."

Last edited by Joshua Morgan; 01-22-2010 at 10:39 PM..