CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Stephen Archut

Profile:
Quesiton on oils for cooking and dressings

I generally use butter, lard, coconut and olive oils for cooking. I mainly stick to olive oil when making a dressing for greens. When I go to the supermarket though, I'm faced with a wide selection of various oils. Almond, avocado, grapeseed, sesame seed, walnut, peanut, and so on and so forth.

I'd like to switch it up and incorparate some of these into my diet for variety but am unsure of which ones to try and which to avoid.
Which of these could be used for cooking? Which ones shouldn't be heated at all? Should some be stored in the fridge versus the pantry? I already know to avoid the "vegetable" oils, corn, cottonseed, etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Quesiton on oils for cooking and dressings

Sesame and peanut oils are very common in Asian cooking. You'll find that sesame oil has a fairly distinctive taste, while peanut oil is more neutral. Thus, I use sesame oil for flavoring, peanut oil for stir frying and similar applications.

Katherine
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

I'd stick to the saturated fats for cooking.

We've also been using Green Pastures Coconut/Grass-Fed Butter Ghee for frying and sautee'ing...its deeelish.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

why not try them all!

i use evoo, butter, coconut oil, sesame oil.

I find them all fine to cook with. I cooked hubby potstickers in sesame oil and he said it really made a big difference, so I guess when you need to add that certain flavor, it's good to use that.

I've never tried any of the nut oils because they tend to be $$ in my experience.

I had turkey once that was deep fried in a vat of peanut oil, I can tell you it was delicious - just the whole turkey lowered into the oil. Not sure if it was the peanut oil that made it good, or the fact that it was Deep fried in general
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
John C Corona

Profile:

I use EVOO mostly to saute things in. I also use grapeseed which is lighter and almost tasteless. I use flax oil a lot when I make a dressing, but I'm sure it still cooks just fine.

I leave all my oils in the pantry, the key being a dark place. Light suppossedly will spoil the oil faster. You can use seperate oil bottles with different herbs and garlic in them for extra flavor.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Careful with the garlic in oil. Botulism can grow in the anaerobic environment, hence why all garlic-infused oils in the store have citric or phosphoric acid added. http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm WFS

Quote:
Do not store garlic in oil at room temperature. Garlic-in-oil mixtures stored at room temperature provide perfect conditions for producing botulism toxin (low acidity, no free oxygen in the oil, and warm temperatures). The same hazard exists for roasted garlic stored in oil. At least three outbreaks of botulism associated with garlic-in-oil mixtures have been reported in North America.

By law, commercially prepared garlic in oil has been prepared using strict guidelines and must contain citric or phosphoric acid to increase the acidity. Unfortunately, there is no easy or reliable method to acidify garlic in the home. Acidifying garlic in vinegar is a lengthy and highly variable process; a whole clove of garlic covered with vinegar can take from 3 days to more than 1 week to sufficiently acidify. As an alternative, properly dried garlic cloves may be safely added to flavor oils.
Don't cook with flax oil. Too delicate. I don't even cook with EVOO unless it's mixed with lard, butter, or coconut oil. Last week I made peperonata and used about equal parts lard, butter, and EVOO to get the taste right.

I store my sesame oil in the fridge and would do the same with any of the oils you listed as well. They're quite polyunsaturated, so you want to protect them as much as possible. Just take them out about a half hour before you need them and they'll turn back to oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

Bumping this because I have a related question:

When cooking chicken, lamb or fish for example, if cooking them on a pan, is it fine to add a little olive oil to the pan, can't heating the oil make it harmful?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Al Rais View Post
Bumping this because I have a related question:

When cooking chicken, lamb or fish for example, if cooking them on a pan, is it fine to add a little olive oil to the pan, can't heating the oil make it harmful?
Yes, it's fine. Olive oil is stable to well above any likely cooking temperature.

Katherine
Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

Thanks Katherine
Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

Sorry, forgot to add, what is the best method to cook meat, chicken and fish? Olive oil? Butter?