CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
John S Park

Profile:
Double Yolked Eggs

Has this happened to anyone else? I was making some eggs for lunch today and picked out two eggs that were abnormally large. I thought great, I'm going to get to eat some larger eggs today, but to my surprise, each egg had 2 yolks in them! Of course I ate them all but this has never happened to me before.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: Double Yolked Eggs

Hell yeah, you just got hooked up, brotha!

On the other hand, my buddy got a hard boiled egg at the chow tent yesterday here that had a part of a chicken inside of it. No sh*t.

"Cholesterol turns in to testosterone!" - Louie Simmons

Last edited by Randy Hill; 08-04-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
Has this happened to anyone else? I was making some eggs for lunch today and picked out two eggs that were abnormally large. I thought great, I'm going to get to eat some larger eggs today, but to my surprise, each egg had 2 yolks in them! Of course I ate them all but this has never happened to me before.

Happy Chickens make happy yolks, wait till you get a triple yolk.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Hell yeah, you just got hooked up, brotha!

On the other hand, my buddy got a hard boiled egg at the chow tent yesterday here that had a part of a chicken inside of it. No sh*t.

"Cholesterol turns in to testosterone!" - Louie Simmons
When I was a high schooler working at McDonalds, we were told that if we cracked an egg on the grill and it had remnants of a little chick in it (or blood), we had to shut down the grill and basically go through our closing procedure and clean and sanitize it before we could start cooking again. For whatever that's worth when you find real chickens in your eggs...
Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

It's like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I buy free-range Omega 3 eggs right from the farmer at my local market, and sometimes she'll have a whole carton of double-yolks! No extra charge either. She's happy to get rid of them because apparently some people don't like the extra yolk? She says a lot of people are picky about whether their eggs are white or brown too, weird people in this world.

As to the McDonald's story - my hometown has a factory that produces french fries and frozen vegetables. Sometimes a small rodent or a frog will show up on a line of vegetables (peas for example) and that entire line of veggies is tossed and the conveyor disinfected.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
That is a delicacy in the Philippines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Happy Chickens make happy yolks, wait till you get a triple yolk.
Triple? Really? You must have really happy chickens!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Tompkins View Post
It's like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I buy free-range Omega 3 eggs right from the farmer at my local market, and sometimes she'll have a whole carton of double-yolks! No extra charge either. She's happy to get rid of them because apparently some people don't like the extra yolk? She says a lot of people are picky about whether their eggs are white or brown too, weird people in this world.

As to the McDonald's story - my hometown has a factory that produces french fries and frozen vegetables. Sometimes a small rodent or a frog will show up on a line of vegetables (peas for example) and that entire line of veggies is tossed and the conveyor disinfected.
How does she know they are doubles, is she magic?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
How does she know they are doubles, is she magic?
by candling probably.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Co-op was out of eggs this week, so I bought from a farmer at the market. He was pretty sure I'd have some double yolkers based on the size of the eggs. I haven't cracked them yet to find out for sure, but those people tend to know their stuff after handling eggs for years and years.

I am glad to hear that McD's actually disinfects when rodents get into the food. Now if only the food weren't dirty.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Jeremy L Jones

Profile:

My family has always had chickens (since I can remember) and it seems that most of the time the chickens that put out double yolks are younger chickens. When they start laying the eggs are very small and sometimes have no yolk and then for a couple of months the eggs change in size and during that couple of months they are the most varied in yolk count and size. After they hit a year it seems to level off quite a bit and they are a uniform size and have only 1 yolk... although the odd chicken or two will still throw out a double yolk on a consistant basis.

My last group of chickens was killed by a large dog jumping over the fence that killed all 30 something chickens in under 2 minutes. The new group of 12 chickens is about 20 weeks old and we're getting 11-12 eggs a day but most are about ping pong ball diameter.

Candling is the ony sure way but most of the time you can just look at it and know if the egg has 2 yolks cuz you get to know your chickens and what they do.