CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
Marius Wallin

Profile:
Feedback on program

Hi. Been lurking around here for a while, and finally had the chance to start with crossfit. I have waiting 4 year for a box to open here where I live, and finally i happened.

I really like some feedback on the program I will follow, because Im new to crossfit, and have to practice the technique of the olys.

Mon: WOD
Tue: Heavy Kettlebell(swings, snatch, clean, squat) strenght
Wed: WOD
Thurs: WOD
Fri: Practice day, technique on the big lifts and oly, just light weight
Sat: Heavy Deadlift, Press, Squats and Bench.
Sun: Rest

I also will practice muscle ups and hanstands, Probably before wods and on pratice day.

The Wods usually consists of bodyweight, kettelbells, row machine and running. Because everybody need to get the technique up in the oly and the big lifts, before we begin to use them in the Wods.

Last edited by Marius Wallin; 09-26-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Feedback on program

I'm glad to hear your coaches are stressing learning technique on barbell movements before putting them in high-rep situations. That doesn't happen often enough.

As for the program, if you have any concrete goals, this is probably not the most efficient way to get to them, since it is kind of all over the place. So, to get very specific it would help to know those goals, if you have them.

Generally though, it's not a good idea to do all four of the big lifts heavy on one day. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by your Saturday listing but that's what it looks like. Most, if not all, strength and conditioning programs will spread that out over two, three or four days a week depending on how much time you want to devote to just lifting. Speaking of, there are plenty of structured programs out there that blend together what you are looking for.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Michael Cook

Profile:

I agree with what Jeff said about not doing DL, press, squat and bench all in one day.

It would be better to combine your tuesday heavy KB workout and your saturday workout.

For example: Tuesday: DL, bench, and heavy kb swings and snatch
Saturday: Squat, press, heavy kb clean and squat.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Marius Wallin

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I see what you guys mean.

I know there is many people doing one main lift per day + WOD.

This was my plan to start with, but i was afraid it would be to much. Maybe this will be better:

Mon: Military press + wod
Tue: Kettlebells
Wed: Deadlift + wod
Thurs: Bench + wod
Fri: Practice day
Sat: Squat + easy wod

If it will be to much, just cut back on kettlebells, and add another practice day, and do some easy swings.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Wallin View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see what you guys mean.

I know there is many people doing one main lift per day + WOD.

This was my plan to start with, but i was afraid it would be to much. Maybe this will be better:

Mon: Military press + wod
Tue: Kettlebells
Wed: Deadlift + wod
Thurs: Bench + wod
Fri: Practice day
Sat: Squat + easy wod

If it will be to much, just cut back on kettlebells, and add another practice day, and do some easy swings.
Again - what are your goals? If you want to make gaining strength a priority, I would probably drop one of those "wods" and substitute another one for the KBs (maybe the press day?), since that is a lot of conditioning anyway. If it's just for GPP and fitness, then what you have is probably just fine.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Marius Wallin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Again - what are your goals? If you want to make gaining strength a priority, I would probably drop one of those "wods" and substitute another one for the KBs (maybe the press day?), since that is a lot of conditioning anyway. If it's just for GPP and fitness, then what you have is probably just fine.
My main goal is to be fit for every day life. Is not this the point behind crossfit? Try to be prepared for everything. If my main goal was strength, I probably just start powerlifting or something.

Last edited by Marius Wallin; 09-26-2013 at 10:39 AM..