CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Bart Brehm

Profile:
Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some advice in regards to the following:

What equipment should I buy right away considering I am looking to set my garage up with the essential equipment necessary to perform most WOD's, while not spending a huge amount of money.

What ball do you use for the purposes of exercises like "thrusters". Is it just the dyno-wall ball or is it a larger medicine ball.

Lastly, a question about squatting. I never have been crazy about doing lower body exercises like squats. Part of the reason is that I am not that flexible and my heels leave the floor when performing them.
What strecthes are good for this problem?
Can I assume that if I work on stretching, I will one day be able to preform full range squats or is this something that some people cant overcome because of their particular frame, stature, height, etc?

Thanks to all in advance for your assitance

B
Old 10-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello,

I've recently started xfit also. I think there are a couple Crossfit Journals that deal with this. I think one even sets a money limit and gets the opinions of several top folks on what they would prioritize. Hopefully someone will know off the top of their head.

With the caveat that I'm new, here would be my guess:

Pullup bar: pullups are in many if not most WODs

Free weights: Bumpers preferrably or at least an olympic weight set. Bumpers are better since you can drop them (the plates are made of rubber) but if all you have is an el-cheapo olympic set (e.g. from sports authority) you can do a lot.

Power rack or squat stands: I chose a power rack since I can squat safely and it has the pullup bar on it. I got it from Jesup Gym Equipment for $270 delivered. If you already have a pullup bar, squat stands are cheaper, but I would recommend some safety device in case you miss the squat (though if you have bumpers you can learn to dump it).

With that you can do most things. Perhaps a dumbell or kettlebell. Rings are highly recommended by many and I'm looking foward to mine though I suspect I can't do much.

I'm not sure about the medicine ball...I don't have one yet, but I stack bumpers to bottom out on with thrusters and such.

Of course a C2 rower would be great, but that is a larger investment. Perhaps some running shoes since there are frequently sprints and occasionally 5Ks and such.

Now onto the more experienced people...

:biggrin:

howard

edit: I forgot to mention Starting Strength by Rippetoe. The book is fantastic and gives details on some of the most important movements: squat (52 pages!), deadlift, bench press, overhead press, power clean. As someone mentioned "strength before strength-endurance" so I'm spending time trying to get my basic strength levels up...this book will help.

(Message edited by howardw on October 28, 2006)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Bart,

I have been selling equipment for a long time and what I always tell my clients is to set a budget and figure out how much space you have, from there you can pick equipment. You may find that your budget is adequate or that you need to make adjustments.

Invest the bulk of your money in the key items like bumper plates and a good bar, flooring to further protect your equipment and the space you put it in. Something for pull-ups and dips. A Concept II rower is one of the bigger ticket items but I think it is more than worth it.

The CrossFit Journals are a must have in my opinion, worth every penny.

One of the best things about this site and community is the creativity of it's members. There is lots of information on here about building your own equipment, use it.

As for the squats practice, practice, practice. Having your form looked at by a good coach would be a good start. It may be technique as much as flexability. The videos in the exercise section of this site demonstrate great form and technique take a look at them and compare them to your own.

Good luck,

Tom
Old 10-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
One of the first CF Journal's is "The Garage Gym". There is another, I believe this year, regarding new equipment lists. I would go with, A good O bar with bumper plates, pull-up bar, make a Med ball (search archives), a couple of DBs you could handle, make p-bars and dip bars, rings for Tyler, you could make Pillars of Power (or Poverty as they are called on the board) for Squats, etc).
Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
check Craigs list and Ebay for used stuff.

Be creative, there are plans to create your own slam balls from basketballs. (see FAQ) Use sand bags for heavier weights, build your own rings or pullup bar....it doesnt have to be expensive to start out.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
The Garage Gym issue of the CrossFit Journal is available for free on the Journal blog: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/
Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Bart Brehm

Profile:
Thank you for the words of wisdom.
It is all very helpful.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Never thought I'd meet another Brehm, especially here. Welcome to CF!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
George Brothers

Profile:
here is my starting equipment list:
rings from tyler haas, you can do your pulls on these or pick up about 20 dollars worth of pipe at home depot and make your own.
30 dollars of plywood to make some boxes to jump on.
get a free big tire from your local tire dealer that they were going to get rid of and use for flips.
buy one 55 lb dumbell at some major sporting goods store.
get a good jump rope.
a basketball filled with sand and duct taped shouldnt cost more than 20 bucks to use as a wallball.
if you are paying a gym right now, save that money every month. you can buy a lot of toys after a year or two of saving.
good luck