CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Jason Smith

Profile:
Thought this was interesting. Not sure where to post it. Lance Armstrong said in the following interview, "that was without a doubt the hardest physical thing I have ever done" about the NYC marathon.

This doesn't suprise me since if you look at the picture Lance probably has at least 30-40 lbs more muscle than other competitors around the 3 hour mark. This lean muscle is good for us, but definitely not for marathon running!!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/run_nyc_marathon_armstrong

I was just about to post this article when I saw that someone had beat me to the punch!

Along the same lines as Jason, I thought this was extrememly telling:

"His muscular legs and chest were in stark contrast to the ultra-thin elite runners far ahead of him."
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Cool! He'll always have a competitive nature I guess.:showoff:
What the significance of the 10112 on his shirt? The slide show shows a woman writing it with chalk in the street too.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
Jason Smith

Profile:
Jeremy - glad you did - I forgot to put the link in.

Jeff - the version of the article I read said something about the date and his battles with cancer. Can't remember the specifics.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
David Aguasca

Profile:
i think it's cool that he's still active. kinda reminds me of when jordan left the bulls to go play baseball! of course...he kinda sucked.

he's probably completely detrained from eccentric motions, which running has, and cycling doesn't. not to mention his entire skeleton is probably not used to that kind of pounding.

given how competitive he is, and how driven he is in his training, i don't think he'll be satisfied with 2 hours, 59 minutes.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Darby R. Mullen

Profile:
10//2 represents the day (October 2) in 1996 when Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Jeff Wilder

Profile:
Lance is very impressive, but because of his celebrity I think he stole much of the spotlight from someone I think is even more impressive, who finished about the same time... Dean Karnazes. The NYC marathon was the last of Karno's 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days challenge. He's been running a marathon a day in each state since 9/17. And of note to this group is that unlike many of his fellow elite ultramarathoners, he has gobs of lean body mass, due to his cross training, yet he can still rip off a 2:30 marathon as an avg. morning workout.

He has a good website, especially the media gallery section:

http://www.ultramarathonman.com/flash/

I've seen many other 10k to marathon winners that are pretty well built. The guys that run the local running store and win all the local races in my area are also very well built. Anyway, my point is that I don't think the addition of the LBM is such a hindrance as intuition would suggest. I think so many elite distance runners are thin not becuase the extra muscle mass is that much of a detriment, but because it really isn't that much of an asset either for that particular task, and is therefore not important enough to them to go to the extra trouble to obtain it. I'm inspired by all who put in the effort to break this mold, and try to obtain the best of both worlds.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:
That's pretty insane Jeff.....

50 marathons in 50 days.. I'd be lucky to do 1 marathon in 50 days, haha. That's approximately equivalent of running across 1/3 of the U.S.

Impressive time for Lance though.. that's about 6-7 min miles which is pretty good (well, in comparison to me).
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think it's interesting how there can be such a huge discrepancy between cardiovascular fitness and specific leg endurance.

I'll bet his marathon time could really improve drastically within a few months. He's got a phenomenal cardiovascular base.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Brian Mansfield

Profile:
Dean's feat is impressive. But he wasn't the first. Some guy from Va. or W. Va. did it already. And without all the media attention.