CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
John de la Garza

Profile:
I'm a bit confused on the range of motion in a deadlift. I see people by light weight plates that are the size of 45 lb plates. This appears to limit the range of motion. Then I see other people dead lift from on top of something like a bench so the weights don't hit. This is extending the range of motion.

If I am not compeating in any type of weight lifting sports would I be better off using smaller weights to have a longer range?

Is it correct to go as low as possible as long as you don't compromise form? Mainly rounding the back.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If you're talking about stifflegged/straightlegged deadlifts, a person's range of motion is dictated by the length/flexibility of their hamstrings. Using a platform or smaller diameter weights won't be of any advantage if you can't maintain proper back position.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
John de la Garza

Profile:
right, that is why I said:

"Is it correct to go as low as possible as long as you don't compromise form"

I want to avoid injury at all cost but it seems like I could go lower than the 45 lb size plates allow me to go and still have my back in the proper position

I am talking about regular deadlifts by the way.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
You can supplement your DL work with Snatch grip DL, pulling off blocks/boxes, DB DL, etc. You can also shorten the ROM through rack pulls. They all have a place.

A DL is (by definition) pulling from a standard height(a bar loaded with 45s) to lockout.