CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Title Boxing Platinum Pro Timer

http://store.titleboxing.com/platinum-pro-timer.html (wfs)

Here's a link to a fantastic timer from Title Boxing. I got mine today and it is just what a CrossFit gym needs. I set up 5 different timers and if there is another one I want it only takes a moment to set up something different. Timer 1 is just an upward counting stop watch type timer. Timer 2 is set up for FGB and keeps anyone from having to watch a stop watch and call out the changes. Timer 3 is set up for bag work with 3 minutes on and a one minute rest. Timer 4 is set up for six 10-minute rounds for a workout I call Hour of Power where you do a variety of high rep exercises for 10 minutes each for max reps. Timer 5 gives us the Tabata protocol. Nice loud buzzer and easy to see time and round counter.

I also put up some new pullup bars that span the 16 foot garage door width. I used 1" plumbing pipe from the brand new Exercise Supply Store (aka Home Depot) which just went in just down the street from my house. I divided the distance up in quarters and put up three 2-foot long support bars that connect with the pullup bars with a T-joint and attach it to the top of the garaged door opening. Floor flanges on each end. Very stable and strong and my wife will hate it again. She made me take it down last time I put it up. Maybe she won't notice. I'll hang a planter from it.

I'm having my lifting platform redone. I made the first one myself but it's too small and has my squat cage planted and bolted right in the middle of it. The new and improved one will have a 10 foot long sheet of 3/4" plywood that the cage sits on (actually in as there will be a cut out so it sits flush) which will increase the platform from 6' to 10' deep and the mats will go from 2' wide to 4' wide making the total width 12'. I'm having a second, matching horizontal bumper plate rack made from the good follks at Sorinex to match the other one I have and they will be dropped down into slots cut into the ends of the stall mat padded weight drop surface. I'm going to take the old 6' insert and make a second flatform on the other end of the gym from this new one so as to not let that wood go to waste.

I'll get some pics of the timer, the new pullup bars and the platform so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Eugene R. Allen; 10-19-2007 at 09:21 PM..
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Title Boxing Platinum Pro Timer

Eugene,

Thanks for posting this. Krista and I have been looking for something like this that was reasonably priced.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

As far as stopwatches are concerned, I'm very happy with my $30 Casio watch from Sports Authority. It has a regular watch, military time, etc. and two timers: a count down and a count up.

Count down:
- Set a countdown time for it, it beeps for 10 seconds after hitting 0.
- Has the ability to automatically restart the countdown after each hit. (So, set the timer for 0:30 with cycling, start Tabata when it gets to 0:20. When it hits 0:00, it jumps to 0:30 and beeps for 10 seconds, your rest time, and then it's back at 0:20.)
- Has the ability to beep once on every minute down (ie. in Cindy at 19:00, 18:00, 17:00,...), then at every ten seconds down in the last minute (1:00, 0:50, 0:40,...) and then a final 5...4...3...2...1 beep at the end. It'd also work for Fight Gone Bad.

Count up:
- Has the option to start on a 5 second delay, which it counts down for (so you can get into position to begin the sprint/WOD).
- Has the option to do a ten second beep when it reaches a certain time. (eg. You want to get a 1:00 400m sprint, so set it to beep at 0:50. When it gets there, it will beep at 0:51, 0:52, 0:53... and let you know to really push for that last bit.)

The only downside is that it's a watch, not a large timer for the full gym. However, if everyone uses one for their regular watch, you don't really need a large timer.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:

Thanks for posting this, Eugene. I am ordering one for Mt Baker CF.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

Skip - You will really love this timer. The instructions aren't too difficult to figure out but I've made a little cheat sheet to remind people how to use it. I'll send you an email and enclose it as an attachment. There is a photo of the timer on the instructions and it made the attachment too big to attach here.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:

Hi Eugene,

Can you program it to do a countdown then immediately start a count up? What I mean is can it be set to count down from, for example, 15 seconds to zero then immediately start to count up? This way, I could start the countdown, take 15 seconds to get in position and when the timer hits zero, the alarm sounds and starts timing the workout. Thanks, David.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

There might be a way to do that because you can set it to have two timer settings work back to back. I've not found it necessary though because it has a remote control so yoiu can go stand at your station, remotely start the timer and go to work.

You might want to check out the free timer you can download from Ross Boxing. You have to have an internet connection to use it but it really is a cool timer. Very programmable and you can save lots of timer settings with a delay you can program in of whatever length you want.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:

Again, thanks Eugene, and thanks for sending the cheat sheet. I ordered our timer this morning.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:

WOOHOO!!!
Mine arrived today...fast shipping. Wow...cool timer. It is a great addition.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Dwight Deckard

Profile:

Thanks for the post Eugene, just what I needed. Ordered today.