CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
John Mc Evoy

Profile:
Question on Linda

sup everyone,
For a workout like Linda how are we supposed to get up to benching BW if we strictly follow CF WODs? I mean there is never a WOD like "Bench Press 1-1-1-1-1-1-" or '5-5-5-5-5" etc. Why is this exercise lacking from our training? I've been following the 3 on 1 off as best I can for around 6 months now but I can only bench my BW for 3 reps. I know that I can do some bench in my own time as warm up or on a separate day but shouldn't it be included in at least some WODs except for Linda? To the best of my knowledge this is the only WOD with bench in it.
I think that chest is very neglected as a whole within CF, Yeah dips will stimulate chest to a certain degree but the movement done by pecs-horizontal shoulder adduction is severally lacking in order to create gains in the area. I really don't think that push ups are enough to cause the stimulus needed to cause such increase in strength as to be able to bench BW for 10 reps.
I know that the workout should be scaled accordingly in order gradually build up to BW but if Bench training is never on WODs then how can we achieve this?

Any help or thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
William Jackson

Profile:
Re: Question on Linda

i do agree.
with Linda being one of the benchmarks, bench pressing must obviously have its merits. as discussed before, BP has been very neglected and i think its because CF had an attitude to separate it from bodybuilding, where BP is arguably the most "important" exercise, for better or worse. i believe most MP followers (who are beasts) will find the DL and clean far less difficult than the benching. do it as you can, analyze your weak spots and get on it!
p.s.
i have a weak bench
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Luke Hale

Profile:

You'll be pleased to know this WOD also pops up very rarely:

For time:
Row 500 meters
Body weight Bench press, 30 reps
Row 1000 meters
Body weight Bench press, 20 reps
Row 2000 meters
Body weight Bench press, 10 reps

last appeared in May as far as I know

I had to scale the BP down to 135 as I don't think I could BP 200 even one rep!!

"Lynne" also appeared in July

5 rounds
Max reps
Bodyweight Bench Press
Pull-ups

I had to scale this to 155 as I had no spotter

CF favours standing shoulder press over bench press as a much more 'functional' movement which recruits more muscles.

...although I cant remember the last time that came up as a WOD either.

I believe CF Football however, treats the bench press as functional to football so it features more often.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Just my 2 cents... I've found I have made pretty decent gains just by working on getting my overhead press up, and consistently hitting dips. I actually set a PR after not benching for months. I work out alone, though, so it is difficult to push yourself on bench press without a spotter. I was able to push myself harder on OHP, and was able to make decent strength gains that carried over.

One of the benchmarks often mentioned is a bodyweight overhead press. I think if you can get to that, then reps on bench press at bodyweight should be fairly doable. Maybe not the volume required by Linda...

Nothing wrong with throwing a few sets of bench press in every now and then if you need it, though.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Dan Thompson

Profile:

From what I have seen (and for the record, I am a former powerlifter and football/rugby player, and only been into crossfit for about 2 months now), bench is one of those lifts that requires a great deal of base systemic strength to be good at, despite being rather limited in its applicability to other lifts and functionality of real life. That being said, keep in mind that powerlifters almost NEVER do the type of volume that crossfit workouts demand. Frankly, unless you are naturally (or unnaturally) very strong, your bench improvement will lag behind other lifts, particularly deadlift.

I weigh 245#, and I do "bodyweight" bench with 225# (representing where I SHOULD be weight-wise). This is generally how I determine what weights to work with when bodyweight multiples are rx'ed. For example, today was Linda, and I did 345# for the deadlift, 225# for bench, and 135# for the cleans (tbh, my cleans need a lot of work, thanks to some tendinitis in my wrist).

Also keep in mind that the standard strength test for the NFL combine is 225# for reps. The record for 2007 was 42 (defensive lineman Tank Tyler of N.C. State). He's a HUGE dude. He DEFINITELY weights a h.e.l.l. of a lot more than 225#.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

do the cleans have to be full squat cleans? Do I have to go all the way down into a front squat?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Michael Travis

Profile:

I thought the same thing, especially after Lynne last month cause I remember people posting numbers like 30 pullups and 4 bench press and I am new to crossfit (since June), and I thought that number seemed a bit off. I had some previous experience with BB so BW bench isnt that difficult for me, but since June, I only remember doing bench twice 9once in Lynne, and once with Thruster and HSPU I believe.

Dips are good, but to me it also seems that with Ring Dips you are also using so much other muscles to help stabilize and balance that you may not be hitting chest as directly as needed to see much gains in this area?

Who knows, you also have those people that say they havent benched in months and then set PR on Lynne? Its quite a conundrum for me.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
John C Corona

Profile:

A couple months back I started added bench (5x5) to the mainpage wods. I'll wait for the third day in the cycle, and if I can fit the work volume, I'll pick that day to do the benching (once in every two or three cycles). It has improved my bench strength.

I had to scale the DL but nothing else...so it's different for everyone. Jus note it, and try and increase next time.

The RX for the clean is full squat clean. I did PWR cleans.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
do the cleans have to be full squat cleans? Do I have to go all the way down into a front squat?
yes it is full cleans... from the floor to front squat
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Michael Henry

Profile:

I've found that with just CF WODs and the occasional Lynne (I've done Linda 2x), all the other stuff has kept my bench just as strong as it was before I started without the added shoulder pain that usually accompanies it. I use to do the regular bodybuilder routine before, all kinds of chesticle volume, so benching my BW wasn't really that difficult though to begin with.