CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Charlie Michel

Profile:
Supplementing main site WODs

I was curious after reading about Mikko Salo's training program what (if anything) people were doing to supplement the mainsite WODs. I have trained at an affiliate but usually just follow the mainsite. I also do a strength routine twice a week including some crossfit moves and plyometrics. I train for running most of the year as well. I've read so much from so many different sources about how I should be training, but as a high school kid it seems like overkill sometimes to be doing all this. Any thoughts?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Supplementing main site WODs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Michel View Post
I was curious after reading about Mikko Salo's training program what (if anything) people were doing to supplement the mainsite WODs. I have trained at an affiliate but usually just follow the mainsite. I also do a strength routine twice a week including some crossfit moves and plyometrics. I train for running most of the year as well. I've read so much from so many different sources about how I should be training, but as a high school kid it seems like overkill sometimes to be doing all this. Any thoughts?
What are your goals?

Elite athletes in many sports train 5-6 hours per day or more. If you want to be like Mikko, you'll need to work pretty hard. If you simply aspire to have a healthy lifestyle that won't drive you to a heart attack before you're 50, you probably don't need to work so hard.

What are your goals?

Katherine
Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Charlie Michel

Profile:

My main goal is to be a better track and cross country runner. At the same time though, I want to develop well rounded fitness. A lot of runners aren't that strong. The runners build comes naturally but strength is hard to maintain when running a lot. I also want to be able to compete when I get older. I don't want to have knee problems or back problems that keep me from being active. I love working out, I just don't want to overdo it, and I need to make sure I still have time to get my schoolwork done and sleep.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Nick Woo

Profile:

Charlie,

You should look into CrossFit Endurance. It seems like exactly what you'd want.

http://www.crossfitendurance.com