CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Robert Mills

Profile:
A different CrossFit Journey - CrossFit Deviant in Derby

So here's a different kind of CrossFit experience; Athalie started at CrossFit Nottingham (soon to move to the new CrossFit Deviant in Derby) 4 months ago and has since become a key member of the box. Not only has she made CrossFit part of her life she has been inspired so much by the fitness community that CrossFit facilitates that she has joined forces with me to open our own CrossFit box in Derby (CrossFit Deviant). Here is her story:

"Today I completed my 100th WOD at CrossFit Nottingham. A milestone where most people share their amazing stories of lbs. shed, kg’s lifted and inches lost. My story is a little different and hopefully shows just how diverse and effective CrossFit really is.

I remember walking into the box just over 4 months ago with an international career a distance memory, looking for something to fill the training void that had been part of my daily routine for over 20 years. The euphoric feeling of having your body and mind pushed to the limits on daily basis is a like a drug; I craved the same intensity and sense of achievement and mastery. I wanted to maintain the body that I trained so hard to achieve and just “enjoy” being fit and healthy.

So what was this CrossFit all about..? If I had been in Sport and Fitness both as an athlete and an academic all my life why was this not on my radar? - Another fad, another brand trying to push the next fitness craze..? Yes I was sceptical, but after a close friend started working for Again Faster, I had no choice but to give it a go, just to see what all the fuss was about.

If you want to be good at rowing – you row, if you want to lift heavy weights - you lift heavy weights, if you want to be a good runner – you run. But life, as I continue to discover is not about just being good at one thing; life is about being able to do all things, at any time, for any purpose.

People talk about how CrossFit changed their life, I wouldn’t say it’s changed my life, more redirected me to the right path, I was already fit, I ate well, I could hold my own in most fitness arena’s . What has changed dramatically however, is my outlook on fitness and my appreciation of how important community is in the pursuit of fitness goals. A colleague recently pulled me up for calling CrossFit – the sport of fitness, my answer well what is fitness..? Fitness is what you make it, how you define it. If you want to be fit for life, fit for purpose, you want CrossFit in your life.

Why does it work..? - Because people can come from any background, with any level of fitness and experience and train alongside each other, it’s infectious. The first person finishing a workout is as important as the last. There is a scale for everything, and the sense of achievement every single week is additive. I have met some incredible people, shared some fantastic memories and I am 100% sold on the CrossFit method. I spent half my life training twice as much, but now I am fitter, stronger and my body is better than ever.

If I wasn’t a scientist I would say it was magic, but all it is, is every day people, doing what their bodies were designed to do. Fitness is a journey, wherever you are, whatever your fitness background, give it a go, you will not look back. Your CrossFit community is waiting for you."

Athalie Redwood-Brown (Co-Owner, CrossFit Deviant, Derby)