CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
ABSTRACT:

A previous study has shown that former elite power athletes exhibited significantly greater relative risk in diabetes than that of former elite endurance athletes. It is unknown whether insulin sensitivity in elite young healthy power athletes is lower than that in elite young endurance athletes. This study includes two parts, part I and part II. In the part I of this study, an oral glucose tolerance test was performed in all of the elite juvenile track athlete subjects, specializing either in short-distance racing (jSD, N = 13, aged 12.5 +/- 0.37 years) or in long-distance racing (jLD, N = 13, aged 12.6 +/- 0.42 years). In the part II of this study, we recruited elite adult swimmers and divided them into two groups according to their specialty in swimming race distance: long-distance (aLD, N = 10, age 20.3 +/- 1.32) and short-distance groups (aSD, N = 10, age 20.2 +/- 1.31). Insulin sensitivity was significantly lower in the jSD group than that in the jLD group, as indicated by the area under the curves of insulin and glucose following a 75-g oral glucose load. Fasting plasma LDL-C and total cholesterol levels in the jSD group were significantly greater than those in the jLD group. The result of the part II of this study, similar to the result of the part I, shows that insulin sensitivity in aSD swimmers was significantly lower than that in aLD swimmers. LDL-C, total cholesterol, and triglyceride levels were also found higher in aSD swimmers than in those of aLD swimmers. These new findings implicate that the genetic makeup associated with exceptional power or endurance performance of elite athletes could also reflect on their metabolic characteristics; elite power athletes appear to be more insulin resistant than elite endurance athletes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstra ct&list_uids=15749139&query_hl=10&itool=pubmed_doc sum
Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
John Seaburg

Profile:
Is this article saying short distance swimmers are power althletes? Swimming is one of least powerful activities I can think of.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
You must not swim much (or put much effort in when you do) then John. Try racing a 50 free, a 100 Fly or a 200 IM and get back to me.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on February 28, 2006)
Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
Are they refering to power in the physics sense of the word or in the familiar as in "power" lifting.

--
and yes, admitedly, I have not read the abstract yet...but I will.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
John Seaburg

Profile:
I didn't say swimming can't be difficult.. just not very powerful.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
As I wrote John...go swim one of those events at a race pace and get back to me on whether there's significant power involved.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Anaerobic and Aerobic. Swimming is a power sport in that sense. ( or in any sense for that matter). Any Athlete who can swim a 50 freestyle in 23 seconds or better is smoking.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Russ Greene

Profile:

Swimmers do a huge amount of work in a very short period of time, hence power. It's not just in your arms. Done correctly, swimming involves your entire body and is very powerful.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
John Seaburg

Profile:
There's nothing you can do in the water that compares to ground based movements like Olympic lifts for producing power. A 50 meter freestyle might wipe you out but that doesn't mean it was powerful. Think about the range of motion in the lower body.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Swimming is locomotion.

Lifting isn't.

Not only that, competitive lifting is a 1RM...a single, maximal effort. A freestyle 50m swim requires an energy output of more than 1 second.

Apples to oranges, unless you really want to delve into biomechanical analyses.