CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I was a thrower (shot put, discus, hammer, 35# weight throw)in college. I began because I am seeking functional strength and variety. I want to stay healthy, capable, flexible, agile, and mobile throughout life; especially as I get older. Also the short workouts are really nice.

Ben
Old 08-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Water Polo, Pepperdine University '89-'93. Still playing Polo and competing in Masters Swimming today.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
High School: Cross-Country at the A/AA level and Track and Field (Distance) at the A level (In New Mexico, these are the smallest-school divisions). I was successful in these divisions at the state level, but the divisions were small.

College: Rowing for two years/three seasons for St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland (not the Basketball school). Smallest division.

I do CrossFit because I specialized in one realm of sport for years (aerobic endurance) and it didn't prepare me, physically or psychologically, to do hard things. And hard things are worth doing. CrossFit never lets you forgot what you're bad at; if I do well on a WOD, I know that I have a humbling experience coming within the next two days.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
High School: Basketball,Track,Footbaall and Cross Country
College and until recently: Volleyball and Beach Volleyball
I began CF to increase my overall level of fitness and prepare me to take on a martial art as my next pursuit.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
David Heyer

Profile:
In H.S. I competed in wrestling, baseball, cross-country, and track (1 & 2 mile, pole vault). Street Hockey was the game/sport most of my friends and I played all summer.
Martial Arts have always been my thing. Most of which were not "sport", but I did compete in TKD and JUDO.
Today, fitness is my "sport". I started CF a little over a year ago. CF made me think. It made sence. Most other programs are geared toward Body Building, which I didn't want. Before CF, I was constantly changing programs to one I thought would be better for the Martial Arts and my students. And I have to say, CF is everything I ever wanted in a S&C program. I love it.

Dave
Old 08-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
High School: Track and swimming
College: Drinking beer, partying, procrastinating
Now: Martial arts, Crossfit... I still like beer
Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I've dabbled in almost everything, none of it with any distinction. Hockey, soccer, swimming, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, high hurdles, low hurdles, long jump, high jump, 800 meters, 10k, basketball, ultimate frisbee, tennis, rowing, table tennis, squash, weightlifting, golf, softball, flag football, volleyball...

I hit the ball very, very, very hard in table tennis. I can be beaten, but I will make you pay for it.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Albert Clayton

Profile:
High School: I cannot remember it was to long ago.

College: intramural basketball, and beer drinking.

Now: chasing teenage boys away from my teenage daughter, Karate and crossfit. Trying to get to a decent weight in a deep squat and deadlift. Some Yoga
Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
Larry Cook

Profile:
HS - baseball, basketball & cross country running
College - partying & sleeping
Post College - rat race, lots of stress and, ultimately, heart surgery.
Now - martial arts, golf, sailing, hiking and Crossfit.

Illegitimus non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

HS: Nothing. I was an obese nerd. Got into running sometime in my junior year (thank you, Ken Cooper . . . even if you were wrong in the overall view, you saved my sorry *** then). Lost enough weight to have a semi-normal senior year (i.e., I had dates!), but not an athlete.

College: attempted to make up for lost time. Did everything possible: running, weightlifting, intramural waterpolo, soccer, rugby, judo, ultimate frisbee (a great sport!), everything you can think of.

Post-college: gradually drilled down to aggressive recreational skiing as primary outlet (and now CrossFit) . . . work and family pretty much preclude having enough time for anything else. CF is absolute perfect GPP for skiing.

Like Albert, I'm thinking of getting a shotgun as my daughter approaches dating age . . . I remember what I was like.

Dave