CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #1
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I like many other people have found that gyms have a horrible lack of gymnastics rings, i've looked in all the gyms in my city and not one has them. All the ceilings in my house are too low to have them. I was wondering is it ok to do muscle ups on a pullup bar if one can? I think this exercise is very valuable in the crossfit program and I hate not being able to do them.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:21 AM   #2
derek james sierra

Profile:  
Yes you can do muscle ups on pull up bars. I have done them before.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:13 AM   #3
hakim

Profile:  
Could you tell us how its done on a bar? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
derek james sierra

Profile:  
Try to use a pullup bar that when you hang your feet dont touch the ground when they are staright.

Use an overhand grip and pull yourself up to your bottom chest. You are going to have to arch at the top part of the movement and bring your elbows back. Once you reach that position bend your upper body forward over the bar and push yourself up using arm strength. You can use a little momentum if you need. When I have done the exercise I did it in a fast explosive motion.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:44 AM   #5
Mike

Profile:  
I went through the same problem. But there is a site, gymgym.com, and many others the coach knows about, where you can purchase your own rings. If you are short on cash, you can go to the "equipment" section right here on the message board, and read about the creativity of Frank Ollis. He describes how he made his own rings. I ordered some rings, threw them over a high pullup bar, and presto!! I now have the option of doing the muscle-up on the bar or with rings. Be ready for the looks you get from the "experts" in the gym!!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Derek

Profile:

Hey,Mike
Long time no see!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:52 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Another alternative for the ringless . . .

Get a hold of 2 5-foot lengths of some really tough, wide webbing . . . like they use in auto seat belts.

Possible sources: fabric stores (believe it or not), auto-supply stores, army-navy surplus stores. Auto junk yards probably won't have long enough pieces.

Loop each one over a high bar (preferrably something you'd have to jump for) and tie a very secure knot . . . (you did get 5-foot lenghts, right? so you've got plenty of material . . don't be stingy on the knot).

I find the 2-1/2 or 3-inch wide webbing to be very forgiving on the hands and wrists (very little bruising), but still allows a nice "false grip".

I still can't do the damn muscle-up, however . . but just trying to stay stationary in the arms-straight position above the loop (preparing for the dip) is an exercise in itself.