CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Nik Nichols

Profile:
rings and muscle ups

Ok, I have serched. i am new to crossfit and this board, so if i missed this question then please forgive me and direct me to a link please.

So I'm working on getting the muscle ups down. I have a few links to show me how and i am working on it(any more tips links pointers are GREATLY appreaciated)

My question is this.Do the rings make a difference? I dont have any and for right now until I get a pair I have loops tied in a fat rope. Yes laugh at the newbe, but it is all i have and I want to learn.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: rings and muscle ups

I feel ya. I've been using some trailer park "rings" until now. By "rings" I mean two straight sections of PVC pipe hung from small cargo straps on my bar. More challenging that standard movements all the way around? Absolutely. I can do 25+ bar dips, but I've yet to hit a third of that on my "rings". Same ratio applies to pushups and just about everything else.

On the other hand...I got to actually use real rings Tuesday and can tell the difference. They're just better, in my personal opinion. You don't have to fight the equipment so much, changing height is a lot quicker and so on. Well worth the $70 or so that a set costs. I plan to get a real set soon.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Yea, having to fight the equipment speaks volums to me. I think i would be more confident knowing i have the equipment I should, then i would know if and where my skill is lacking.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Yea, having to fight the equipment speaks volums to me. I think i would be more confident knowing i have the equipment I should, then i would know if and where my skill is lacking.
Definetly shell out the $70 for a set of rings if you're able. I just got mine a few weeks ago and love them. There is so much you can do with them, and they are perfect to take with you if you travel or on vacation. Hang them anywhere and away you go.

My ring dips sucked before I got mine, but I have them hung and every time I walk by I do a few dips. Slowly getting better at them. You will to if you have the proper equipment.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

That's what I'm thinking, equipment is key. Any pointers on muscel ups and or exercises to get me therwe in the mean time?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
That's what I'm thinking, equipment is key. Any pointers on muscel ups and or exercises to get me therwe in the mean time?
I'm still working on my first MU. I'm working on Full ROM DEEP ring dips, and explosive Ring Pullups. It's that transition for me that's my problem at the moment. I hope to conquer it soon!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bowser View Post
I'm still working on my first MU. I'm working on Full ROM DEEP ring dips, and explosive Ring Pullups. It's that transition for me that's my problem at the moment. I hope to conquer it soon!
same here, I'm about in the same place as you. I'm also working on form as well.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
James R. Climer

Profile:

equipment: get some 1-inch PVC 90 degree elbows at the local hardware, they shouldn't cost more than $2.00 for the pair. loop some rope thru the pvc and knot at the tube's openings to keep the elbows from sliding when you apply your false grip and start to transition from below to above the rings.

technique: if you aren't using the false grip, learn to, it will make huge difference. pull yourself up as fast as you can to transition. finish the pull with the rings in tight and close to your chest. some momentum helps here, but eventually you want to get strong enough that you can transition without it.
the transition is the most 'mental' part of the muscle up for me...I was quitting just a hair short of success when the load felt heavy and momentum stalled. get the elbows pointing up quick and begin the dip. get as strong as you can with pullups and dips on the rings.

A good dry or mildly tacky grip helps also.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Chris Walls

Profile:

Keeping the rings close is critical, draw your "c-cups" (trace a C shape under your boobs with your thumbs) and think of the transition as shooting THROUGH the rings and not over them
Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0SSKgxdAoLM

If this link works it will be of great help I was having trouble with my muscle ups (as you can probably tell from the avatar) and this video helped me a lot. Now they are no problem for me.