CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Hi all,

I'd been having some general knee pain that was fairly ubiquitous -- it waxed and waned but was present in some form most of the time -- kind of general and all around the knees. I saw a coach (Brendan from CFSC, actually) and he worked on improving my squat form -- getting me farther back and keeping my knees from going forward -- and I've been squatting that way since then.

Problem: the pain I was having before is essentially gone, but now it's moved. Now I'm experiencing a more local pain, seems to be right behind my patellas, and it's more present when I put load on the legs (as opposed to a continous ache, as before). For example, when I sit with my feet propped on something and my legs horizontal and unsupported, it starts to bug my knees, and the other day I started to do some ergs to warm up, and after about three my left knee warned me off. Some transitory pain occasionally when twisting and such too.

Not sure if this might be temporary? Adjustment thing? Squatting doesn't feel all that comfortable either, but I assumed it wouldn't.

Any thoughts? Could it still be form? Do I need to see a doc?

Thanks much,

- Brandon
Old 03-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Probably still form....it's not necessary about "keeping knees from going forward". So much depends on your stance and your body. Is the coach you used a real O lifting coach? If not, you might one to consult one of those. Or go back to the coach and explain the problem. Sometimes we end up understanding the coach wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Brendan from CrossFit Santa Cruz is the strength and conditioning coach.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
David Levine

Profile:
I'm three months post-op knee replacement. I was in denial for about fifteen years.
I'd get an x-ray if I were you. And talk to a good sports doc. You might have a slight and easily repairable meniscus tear.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:
I second David's suggestion. It's always better to find out if your problem will require more invasive techniques sooner rather than later. If there isn't anything structurally wrong then you have at least eliminated one possibility, but if there is a problem you may be able to catch it before you do more damage.
Just to play devil's advocate: on the other hand, you can ice & elevate the knee after workouts, be sure to stretch some more, complete a more thorough warmup, and continue to seek the advice of your coach (make sure to keep him updated on any changes in your situation, i.e. you visit a doc or pain increases).

-Jim.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Thanks, guys. A sports medicine doctor would be the guy to see? Not a physical therapist?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:
An orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine doc would do the trick. Physical therapists are not "yet" considered doctors, though that will be changing as they move from the PT designation to the DPT or doctor of physical therapy designation. I'm not sure how it is in Cali, but my experience in Ohio has been that PT's are usually on the follow up end of care and as such don't take patients directly. Now that may be different in different places, or even in PT settings I was not privy to during my experience. Not to go on a diatribe here, but I think it will be a blessing when PT's are considered docs b/c it will make it easier for patients who don't opt for surgery to take advantage of PT's even without the consent of surgeons who often don't have as complete an understanding of physiology, kinesiology, and preventative or recuperative medicine as PT's do. Yeah, that's a controversial statement, but I have a few friends who are in medicine (nurses, a pt, and a few md's)that have generally stated as much. Again, sorry 'bout the diatribe, good luck.

--Jim.