CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Chris Diamont

Profile:
Torn Pec ?

Anyone had a torn pec? Just had MRI and I have a full thickness muscle tear. Looking for some info about recovery as I am about to have surgery in the coming weeks. Any help would be great!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Mike D Lawson

Profile:
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Anyone had a torn pec? Just had MRI and I have a full thickness muscle tear. Looking for some info about recovery as I am about to have surgery in the coming weeks. Any help would be great!
how'd you tear a pec? hope you have a quick recovery
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

I don't have any personal experience with a torn pec but it happened to a friend of mine. He fell out of a tree (don't ask!) After surgery it took between 4 and 6 weeks for him to recover. He's a vet and is required to perform delicate surgeries so the injury stressed him out a bit, but he made a full recovery.

All the best and good-luck.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D Lawson View Post
how'd you tear a pec? hope you have a quick recovery
Bar muscle up! Torn right where it connects with shoulder. Go to meet surgeon today! I hear 3 months for full recovery. Trying to get some info if anyone has any on the recovery time. Thanks for the well wishes, I am pretty bummed about it.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Sucks to hear, but it's not a huge injury. Powerlifters brush off a torn pec injury no big deal and just work around it all the time. I would heat it whenever you're chilling around watching TV (not ice unless for pain management), don't take any NSAID's as they may help with pain but ultimately can reduce recovery time. Avoid inflammatory foods like grains and refined sugars, keep the omega-3 fat intake high. Maybe look into a Marc Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6dUtWFe2Y (Work Safe)

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ng-sooo-wrong/ (Work Safe)
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
Sucks to hear, but it's not a huge injury. Powerlifters brush off a torn pec injury no big deal and just work around it all the time. I would heat it whenever you're chilling around watching TV (not ice unless for pain management), don't take any NSAID's as they may help with pain but ultimately can reduce recovery time. Avoid inflammatory foods like grains and refined sugars, keep the omega-3 fat intake high. Maybe look into a Marc Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6dUtWFe2Y (Work Safe)

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ng-sooo-wrong/ (Work Safe)
Thanks for the advice! Surgeon told me today surgery was up to me. My tendon tore from bone and everything else is fine. He basically said that if I wanted to get close to back to 100% surgery was only option. However, he said if I could live with a little weakness in abduction in my left arm I could not make it worse. What a decision! Unfortunately the timing is awful for me as it makes surgery worse because I will be 5 weeks from date of injury before I can have surgery which will make it more difficult.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Sean Rockett

Profile:

I usually recommend surgery for young active people or laborers as weakness is not well tolerated. True you do want to decide quickly on these as they have a tendency to retract and make reattachment more difficult due to shortening and scarring. I usually say 2-3 months for activities of daily living, 4 months to 6 months for sports, 9 months for CrossFit with explosive movements.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
I usually recommend surgery for young active people or laborers as weakness is not well tolerated. True you do want to decide quickly on these as they have a tendency to retract and make reattachment more difficult due to shortening and scarring. I usually say 2-3 months for activities of daily living, 4 months to 6 months for sports, 9 months for CrossFit with explosive movements.

How much weakness can I expect. I have a lot to consider before surgery at the moment with a pregnant wife and a four year old. Plus going on light duty at work can have an impact on promotion and my current job assignment. It is such a tough decision when I weigh all the options. I want to be 100% but I also would have to sacrifice a good bit at the expense of my wife who woulf be taking care of me, our son and being pregnant.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Completely understand. American Journal of Sports Medicine has 2 articles on it and it shows a 30 to 40 percent decrease in strength for pec major exercises vs opposite side. Surgery was able to get 90 to 100% return which was statistically significant.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Is there a chance that the injury can worsen or is the weakness I have now where I will be permanently? Will the weakness increase with time if I do not have surgery?