CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Chris Diamont
Member Chris Diamont is offline
 
Chris Diamont's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: King  NC
Posts: 264
Torn Pec ?

Anyone had a torn pec? Just had MRI and I have a full thickness muscle tear. Looking for some info about recovery as I am about to have surgery in the coming weeks. Any help would be great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Mike D Lawson
Member Mike D Lawson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zachary  LA
Posts: 6
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Anyone had a torn pec? Just had MRI and I have a full thickness muscle tear. Looking for some info about recovery as I am about to have surgery in the coming weeks. Any help would be great!
how'd you tear a pec? hope you have a quick recovery
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Carmen Malcolm
Member Carmen Malcolm is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Johannesburg  South Africa
Posts: 36
Re: Torn Pec ?

I don't have any personal experience with a torn pec but it happened to a friend of mine. He fell out of a tree (don't ask!) After surgery it took between 4 and 6 weeks for him to recover. He's a vet and is required to perform delicate surgeries so the injury stressed him out a bit, but he made a full recovery.

All the best and good-luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Chris Diamont
Member Chris Diamont is offline
 
Chris Diamont's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: King  NC
Posts: 264
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D Lawson View Post
how'd you tear a pec? hope you have a quick recovery
Bar muscle up! Torn right where it connects with shoulder. Go to meet surgeon today! I hear 3 months for full recovery. Trying to get some info if anyone has any on the recovery time. Thanks for the well wishes, I am pretty bummed about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Richard Deyan
Member Richard Deyan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forest Hills  NY
Posts: 321
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Anyone had a torn pec? Just had MRI and I have a full thickness muscle tear. Looking for some info about recovery as I am about to have surgery in the coming weeks. Any help would be great!
Sucks to hear, but it's not a huge injury. Powerlifters brush off a torn pec injury no big deal and just work around it all the time. I would heat it whenever you're chilling around watching TV (not ice unless for pain management), don't take any NSAID's as they may help with pain but ultimately can reduce recovery time. Avoid inflammatory foods like grains and refined sugars, keep the omega-3 fat intake high. Maybe look into a Marc Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6dUtWFe2Y (Work Safe)

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ng-sooo-wrong/ (Work Safe)
__________________
The Healthy Pig
www.TheHealthyPigUSA.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Chris Diamont
Member Chris Diamont is offline
 
Chris Diamont's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: King  NC
Posts: 264
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
Sucks to hear, but it's not a huge injury. Powerlifters brush off a torn pec injury no big deal and just work around it all the time. I would heat it whenever you're chilling around watching TV (not ice unless for pain management), don't take any NSAID's as they may help with pain but ultimately can reduce recovery time. Avoid inflammatory foods like grains and refined sugars, keep the omega-3 fat intake high. Maybe look into a Marc Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6dUtWFe2Y (Work Safe)

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ng-sooo-wrong/ (Work Safe)
Thanks for the advice! Surgeon told me today surgery was up to me. My tendon tore from bone and everything else is fine. He basically said that if I wanted to get close to back to 100% surgery was only option. However, he said if I could live with a little weakness in abduction in my left arm I could not make it worse. What a decision! Unfortunately the timing is awful for me as it makes surgery worse because I will be 5 weeks from date of injury before I can have surgery which will make it more difficult.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Sean Rockett
Member Sean Rockett is offline
 
Sean Rockett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 657
Re: Torn Pec ?

I usually recommend surgery for young active people or laborers as weakness is not well tolerated. True you do want to decide quickly on these as they have a tendency to retract and make reattachment more difficult due to shortening and scarring. I usually say 2-3 months for activities of daily living, 4 months to 6 months for sports, 9 months for CrossFit with explosive movements.
__________________
Sean Rockett, MD
www.orthopedicsne.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Chris Diamont
Member Chris Diamont is offline
 
Chris Diamont's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: King  NC
Posts: 264
Re: Torn Pec ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
I usually recommend surgery for young active people or laborers as weakness is not well tolerated. True you do want to decide quickly on these as they have a tendency to retract and make reattachment more difficult due to shortening and scarring. I usually say 2-3 months for activities of daily living, 4 months to 6 months for sports, 9 months for CrossFit with explosive movements.

How much weakness can I expect. I have a lot to consider before surgery at the moment with a pregnant wife and a four year old. Plus going on light duty at work can have an impact on promotion and my current job assignment. It is such a tough decision when I weigh all the options. I want to be 100% but I also would have to sacrifice a good bit at the expense of my wife who woulf be taking care of me, our son and being pregnant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Sean Rockett
Member Sean Rockett is offline
 
Sean Rockett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 657
Re: Torn Pec ?

Completely understand. American Journal of Sports Medicine has 2 articles on it and it shows a 30 to 40 percent decrease in strength for pec major exercises vs opposite side. Surgery was able to get 90 to 100% return which was statistically significant.
__________________
Sean Rockett, MD
www.orthopedicsne.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Chris Diamont
Member Chris Diamont is offline
 
Chris Diamont's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: King  NC
Posts: 264
Re: Torn Pec ?

Is there a chance that the injury can worsen or is the weakness I have now where I will be permanently? Will the weakness increase with time if I do not have surgery?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torn Calluses Lurene Grenier Injuries 2 12-08-2008 01:42 PM
torn abdominal Lou Cabales Injuries 0 09-20-2008 10:56 PM
Torn Meniscus Randy Tarasevich Injuries 1 04-27-2008 05:15 PM
Torn ACL and Meniscus William Tokash Injuries 11 10-09-2007 02:05 PM
Torn ACL John Turek Injuries 5 09-15-2007 09:51 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.