CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Becca Borawski
Affiliate Becca Borawski is offline
 
Becca Borawski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 1,231
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
If sports orgs are serious about preventing steriod use, they need to come up with something better than their current half-baked plans and punishments. If they aren't serious, then stop testing entirely.</rant>
I agree that it's frustrating and not evenly applied. I work for an amateur promotion here in California and have worked on a variety of promotions in multiple states over the years, as well as having worked with fighters -- it's not the same from state to state and commissions are in general not run particularly well. In California a slot on the commission is an appointed position and one doesn't even have to be familiar with the sport to get on the commission. It's ridiculous.

I think your statement of "if sports orgs are serious about preventing steroid use" is also a key point. How serious are they? Is it actually in their best interest to test that much? Or is it a ton of money spent and they knock out their best athletes in the process? Are people in the sports that test like CRAZY actually ceasing to do drugs or have they just gotten REALLY good at taking them?
__________________
Becca Borawski
Managing Editor - www.breakingmuscle.com

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Yeah, I think it's difficult when someone is taking them for genuine reasons - like healing from surgery/injury, low testosterone levels, etc. Had the time between Stephan's previous fight and the fight with Forrest been a little longer apart, he never would have tested positive for it, and if any of the commissions had their acts together in regards to TRT then Sonnen wouldn't have gone through the hoops they've made him jump through for an entire year. It's a crazy thing and it's very hard to draw black and white lines about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
I agree that it's frustrating and not evenly applied. I work for an amateur promotion here in California and have worked on a variety of promotions in multiple states over the years, as well as having worked with fighters -- it's not the same from state to state and commissions are in general not run particularly well. In California a slot on the commission is an appointed position and one doesn't even have to be familiar with the sport to get on the commission. It's ridiculous.

I think your statement of "if sports orgs are serious about preventing steroid use" is also a key point. How serious are they? Is it actually in their best interest to test that much? Or is it a ton of money spent and they knock out their best athletes in the process? Are people in the sports that test like CRAZY actually ceasing to do drugs or have they just gotten REALLY good at taking them?
I can draw a black and white line- just let them do them already. And legalize them while we're at it. Pride fighting didn't test for them, was there ever any problem that they had with their policy? Not that I'm aware of.

We have so many real problems in the country, like real drug use (meth is a good example), and we care about this? Land of the free? Come on already.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Vickie Ellickson
Member Vickie Ellickson is offline
 
Vickie Ellickson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 2,549
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I can draw a black and white line- just let them do them already. And legalize them while we're at it. Pride fighting didn't test for them, was there ever any problem that they had with their policy? Not that I'm aware of.

We have so many real problems in the country, like real drug use (meth is a good example), and we care about this? Land of the free? Come on already.
Do you draw the line at college athletes? High school athletes? How about kids in the 6th grade that have been playing baseball since they were 2y/o and are in highly competitive Little League teams?

Do you treat steroids like alcohol? Can't have them until you're 21?

Sadly, the one thing I don't see changing is our win-at-all-costs culture. God forbid you actually, you know, work hard to achieve something. If your hardest isn't enough to be the very best, then sorry, too bad.
__________________
V's Log - Don't Have Heroes
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Becca Borawski
Affiliate Becca Borawski is offline
 
Becca Borawski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 1,231
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Sadly, the one thing I don't see changing is our win-at-all-costs culture. God forbid you actually, you know, work hard to achieve something. If your hardest isn't enough to be the very best, then sorry, too bad.
The thing is, though, people who take steroids ARE working really hard. It's not as if it replaces anything, it just bumps you to a higher level. You could take them and still be a loser - I've known folks in BJJ who fit that bill and just think they're badasses 'cause they take drugs.

Any elite level athlete taking steroids is working really hard. And if even just a few guys who work hard AND are talented are taking drugs, then that means no one who is playing "fair" can win. If only the lazy bastards took steroids, it wouldn't be an issue at all.
__________________
Becca Borawski
Managing Editor - www.breakingmuscle.com

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
Vickie Ellickson
Member Vickie Ellickson is offline
 
Vickie Ellickson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 2,549
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Good point, Becca. Those to take steroids to get to the pinnacle of their sports have already put in a lot of hard work.

The problem isn't so much work ethic as it is acceptance that even with all of your hard work you may not be #1 or break a bunch of records.
__________________
V's Log - Don't Have Heroes
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Do you draw the line at college athletes? High school athletes? How about kids in the 6th grade that have been playing baseball since they were 2y/o and are in highly competitive Little League teams?

Do you treat steroids like alcohol? Can't have them until you're 21?

Sadly, the one thing I don't see changing is our win-at-all-costs culture. God forbid you actually, you know, work hard to achieve something. If your hardest isn't enough to be the very best, then sorry, too bad.
Let's go with age 21. If you're old enough to (legally) get drunk enough to pass out, you're old enough to inject some anabolics.

And just out of curiosity, why are you so (seemingly at least) opposed to them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Let's go with 21. If you can chug your booze legally, you can inject a little testosterone legally as well.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New WOD: The Interview David Gray Fitness 3 11-20-2008 08:18 AM
Rippetoe Interview Adam Head Fitness 3 08-18-2008 05:31 PM
Rippetoe Interview Lynne Pitts Fitness 6 09-07-2007 04:45 AM
Interview with an Operator Jon Gilson Community 10 02-01-2007 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.