CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
David Strand

Profile:
Recovery Day With MMA OK?

Hey all,
I have recently started doing some of the Crossfit WODs and before was simply making my own workout plans at the gym. In addition to lifting and a little running, I'm also involved in training both BJJ specifically and freestyle MMA. I was wondering if my martial arts training is in any way interfering with my muscle recovery that I need for weightlifting. There aren't any problems, I was just wondering if and how I can optimize doing both of these things.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Recovery Day With MMA OK?

Depends on how much MMA you're doing, how hard you're going, what kind of lifting you're doing and how often you're doing it, if you're eating enough, and if your sleep and other recovery factors are all in line. Too many variables to speculate on without more information.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
David Strand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Depends on how much MMA you're doing, how hard you're going, what kind of lifting you're doing and how often you're doing it, if you're eating enough, and if your sleep and other recovery factors are all in line. Too many variables to speculate on without more information.
I'm training two hours a day, one for BJJ and one the "stand up" portion (striking, wrestling, clinch, etc) four days a week. As for sleep, I try to get at least 8 hours a night. As for food, well, I think I'm eating enough, but am not hugely educated on nutrition beyond the obvious (protien/carbs after working out, not eating junk food, etc).
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Depends what your priorities are. If your primary focus is getting stronger, lift weights more, and don't go all-out at training. If you're focusing more on MMA, then you need to make that your primary training means. If you have sparring or otherwise more technically demanding classes, then I'd save more intense workouts for another day. You should be feeling focused and fresh for sparring rounds, and not being recovered from a workout will diminish what you can take away from that training session. Personally, I find that doing endurance-based activities or long metcons (generally anything that's 20 minutes of continuous high-paced work) negatively effect my performance at training if done on the same day. On days I have Muay Thai, I'll either do some sprints or a strength workout at lunch, or go for a 5k run a few hours after training. Find what works best for you, and decide what your main focus will be, and then design your training around that.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Alfaro Rosas

Profile:

I would say that if you are training at a cometitive bjj academy and they train the way that most bjj academies train, your recovery will be affected. A day off is suppose to be just that, a day off. Some light activity would be ok like slow jogging for 20 min just to get the blood flow going, technical bjj classes (no sparring), mobility work, etc.

I just came off an eight week period in which I tried to do Crossfit 3-4 times a week with two additional heavy lifting days and bjj twice a week which included hard sparring sessions. I had to stop and take a week off from any lifting as my squat went down by 70lbs on my sets of five. I also started to feel really lathargic in bjj and getting my *** handed to me by guys I can easily handle. It's good to do that once in a while so that you can take your body to the edge but it is not good in the long run.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:

If you are training (in any way shape or form) then it's not recovery.

It's that simple.

A rest day means - no jiujitsu, no CrossFit, no running, no yoga, nothing.

If you insist on doing something, roll around with a Lacrosse ball and foam roller. Otherwise REST on your REST day.

I say this as a coach and martial artist who has f'd herself and watched countless other people do it, too. Not worth it in the long run.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com