CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
John A. Smith

Profile:
Re: Fedor is a sham-wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
Mark Hunt - under .500 MMA record.. Mark Kerr - Smashing Machine.. my bad

My point is, in 2005 Fedor was 28-29, he fought Cro Cop, and since then through the rest of what should have been his prime, has fought no one. He is still only 34, M-1 has helped him dodge the UFC all together. He wouldn't fight Randy Couture, Randy even left the UFC to open up the possibility of the fight. Brock became champion three years ago, he dodged a contract to fight Brock then at the age of 31. Since joining strikeforce he has avoided at all costs fighting Alistair Overeem, and in doing so has now lost to two Heavyweights who according to the fanboys weren't even on his level. Any of the current UFC heavyweights would beat Fedor. It's like trying to say Jaromir Jagr is the best hockey player in the world.. well, he is excellent, did well at the World Champions, but he plays in the KHL now.. how can you compare to the real big leagues over here in North America?
One of those losses was to Fabricio Werdum a two-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion and two-time ADCC world heavyweight champion. Those fanboys over at Sherdog ranked Werdum the #3 heavyweight in the world. http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...Rankings-27767 (wfs).

Werdum defeated Alistair Overeem by submission on May 5, 2006. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Fabricio-Werdum-8390 (wfs)
Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Michael Dowling

Profile:

fedor had a real impressive run, even if he was fighting weak competition and tomato cans at the end it's still tough to not get caught in 30+ fights.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Aaron Evans

Profile:

MMA has evolved since 2005.
In 2005, Fedor fought with Pride rules.
If the UFC had Pride rules, their current top fighters might be some guys you've never heard of.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Andrew Burry

Profile:

I would respect Fedor if he didn't spend the last 5 years hiding behind M-1 Global management and came over to the UFC and fought top competition. It is as simple as that. If Cain Velasquez quit the UFC today as champion, and went and fought on the Bellator circuit for the rest of his career and went undefeated, would you call him the greatest ever? I doubt it. It will be nice now to put all this BS to rest since the UFC bought out Strikeforce. Hopefully we get to see what Overeem, Barnett, Bigfoot Silva and the likes are really made of. We already saw that Werdum can't compete in the UFC. He beat Overeem once upon a time, so did Shogun, twice, Overeem is a roid monster now, he's great in K1, I would like to see how he stacks up these days against Dos Santos and Carwin and Cain. I mean you have to laugh at Pride anyway, they allow steroids, if you listen to the stuff Rampage says about them, match fixing was rampant, they used to promote him as a homeless bum fighting for food. If WWE is on one side and UFC is on the other, Pride is definitely somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post

I mean shoot, look at Shogun's first fight in the UFC, he got beat by Forrest, who is awesome, but a far inferior fighter as far as skill is concerned.
Well, he was injured at the time.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
I mean you have to laugh at Pride anyway, they allow steroids,
so?

Quote:
if you listen to the stuff Rampage says about them, match fixing was rampant
Rampage, the guy who got in a high speed chase from the cops in his truck which features a larger than life sized picture of himself painted on the side?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Rampage is a moron. Say whatever else you want about him, but there's no denying that he is a moron.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Another reason that pride fighters struggled with the transition to American MMA is due to the excessive weight cutting. During Fedors Prime in Pride he was fighting other small heavyweights that were very skilled or large heavyweights that were one dimensional. In America he started facing larger and equally skilled fighters, same with cro-cop. However, to say that he is a sham is an obvious lack of MMA knowledge or understanding, or better yet, obvious troll is obvious.